Difference between PHP and SSL?

Dano

Can somebody tell me the key differences between PHP and SSL? Is it faster
browsing? More features? More efficient programming?
I'm converting some pages from a frame-based site to one without frames.
I've set up some (test)-pages using SSL, but I read in the NG a lot more on
PHP instead of SSL?

Thanks
Dan

Nico Schuyt

Dano said:
Can somebody tell me the key differences between PHP and SSL? Is it
faster browsing? More features? More efficient programming?
I'm converting some pages from a frame-based site to one without
frames. I've set up some (test)-pages using SSL, but I read in the NG
a lot more on PHP instead of SSL?

PHP has far more features than SSL and is, for an include of a menu or
heading on every page, as easy to use.

Sam Hughes

Can somebody tell me the key differences between PHP and SSL? Is it
faster browsing? More features? More efficient programming?
I'm converting some pages from a frame-based site to one without
frames. I've set up some (test)-pages using SSL, but I read in the NG
a lot more on PHP instead of SSL?

SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer". You mean SSI.

Dano

Sam Hughes said:
SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer". You mean SSI.

of course :)... Server Side Includes it is...

it appears that the only real difference is that PHP offers more features
than SSI. Apart from features, any other things that you would prefer one
above the other?

Dan

mbstevens

Dano said:
of course :)... Server Side Includes it is...

it appears that the only real difference is that PHP offers more features
than SSI. Apart from features, any other things that you would prefer one
above the other?

PHP is really a complete progarmming language that you can do just about
anything with. But I prefer Perl by way of the CGI interface to either PHP
or SSI. You should at least be investigating that along with the others.
Take a look at http://validator.w3.org to see the power of what can be done
with perl over the net.

Nico Schuyt

Dano said:
it appears that the only real difference is that PHP offers more
features than SSI. Apart from features, any other things that you
would prefer one above the other?

The choice between PHP and SSI also depends on what your host supports.