    PHP instead of SSL?

    Thanks
    Dan

    Dano, Sep 26, 2004

  2. Dano

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Dano wrote:
    > Can somebody tell me the key differences between PHP and SSL? Is it
    > faster browsing? More features? More efficient programming?
    > I'm converting some pages from a frame-based site to one without
    > frames. I've set up some (test)-pages using SSL, but I read in the NG
    > a lot more on PHP instead of SSL?

    PHP has far more features than SSL and is, for an include of a menu or
    heading on every page, as easy to use.

    --
    Nico
    www.nicoschuyt.nl

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 26, 2004

  3. Dano

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Dano" <> wrote in

    > Can somebody tell me the key differences between PHP and SSL? Is it
    > faster browsing? More features? More efficient programming?
    > I'm converting some pages from a frame-based site to one without
    > frames. I've set up some (test)-pages using SSL, but I read in the NG
    > a lot more on PHP instead of SSL?

    SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer". You mean SSI.

    Sam Hughes, Sep 26, 2004
  4. Dano

    Dano Guest

    "Sam Hughes" <> schreef in bericht
    > "Dano" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Can somebody tell me the key differences between PHP and SSL? Is it
    >> faster browsing? More features? More efficient programming?
    >> I'm converting some pages from a frame-based site to one without
    >> frames. I've set up some (test)-pages using SSL, but I read in the NG
    >> a lot more on PHP instead of SSL?

    > SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer". You mean SSI.

    of course :)... Server Side Includes it is...

    it appears that the only real difference is that PHP offers more features
    than SSI. Apart from features, any other things that you would prefer one
    above the other?

    Dan

    Dano, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Dano

    mbstevens Guest

    Dano wrote:

    > "Sam Hughes" <> schreef in bericht
    >> "Dano" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Can somebody tell me the key differences between PHP and SSL? Is it
    >>> faster browsing? More features? More efficient programming?
    >>> I'm converting some pages from a frame-based site to one without
    >>> frames. I've set up some (test)-pages using SSL, but I read in the NG
    >>> a lot more on PHP instead of SSL?

    >> SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer". You mean SSI.

    > of course :)... Server Side Includes it is...
    >
    > it appears that the only real difference is that PHP offers more features
    > than SSI. Apart from features, any other things that you would prefer one
    > above the other?

    PHP is really a complete progarmming language that you can do just about
    anything with. But I prefer Perl by way of the CGI interface to either PHP
    or SSI. You should at least be investigating that along with the others.
    Take a look at http://validator.w3.org to see the power of what can be done
    with perl over the net.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com

    mbstevens, Sep 27, 2004
  6. Dano

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Dano wrote:

    > it appears that the only real difference is that PHP offers more
    > features than SSI. Apart from features, any other things that you
    > would prefer one above the other?

    The choice between PHP and SSI also depends on what your host supports.

    --
    Nico
    www.nicoschuyt.nl

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 27, 2004
  7. Dano

    Dano Guest

    "Nico Schuyt" <> schreef in bericht
    > Dano wrote:
    >
    >> it appears that the only real difference is that PHP offers more
    >> features than SSI. Apart from features, any other things that you
    >> would prefer one above the other?

    > The choice between PHP and SSI also depends on what your host supports.

    Mine supports both...

    Dano, Sep 27, 2004