difference between return true; and return false;

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by w i l l, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. w i l l

    w i l l Guest

    Why does this work the way it does?
    If someone could explain return true, and return false to me I'd
    greatly appreciate it.

    <head>
    <title>Form.html</title>
    </head>

    <script language="JavaScript">
    function form1_onsubmit() {
    var returnValue = false;
    if (document.form1.txtName.value == "") {
    alert("Please Enter your Name");
    document.form1.txtName.focus();
    }
    else {
    returnValue = true;
    }
    return returnValue;
    }
    </script>

    <form action="formhandler.asp" method="post" name="form1" onSubmit="
    return form1_onsubmit()">
    name: <input type="text" name="txtName">
    <input type="submit" value="Go">

    </form>

    w i l l
    w i l l, Jul 4, 2003

  2. w i l l

    Bagbourne Guest

    "w i l l" <> wrote in message
    > Why does this work the way it does?
    > If someone could explain return true, and return false to me I'd
    > greatly appreciate it.

    In a onxxxxx method where there is usually some form of standard processing
    by the browser, it's just a way of specifying whether further standard
    processing should take place.

    Returning false means no, returning true means yes. So that example aborted
    the submit if the user hasn't entered their name.

    Nige
    Bagbourne, Jul 4, 2003

  3. w i l l

    w i l l Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 04:49:02 +1000, "Gareth Church"
    <> wrote:

    >"w i l l" <> wrote in message
    >> Why does this work the way it does?
    >> If someone could explain return true, and return false to me I'd
    >> greatly appreciate it.

    >When you return something from a function, that value gets returned to the
    >caller. For instance, say I had a method to multiply two numbers. Maybe the
    >code looks like this:
    >
    >function multiply(num1, num2) {
    > return num1 * num2;
    >}
    >result = multiply(2, 4);
    >
    >The function multiply will return the result of it's multiplication to
    >wherever it was called. The right-hand side of the result assignment is
    >where the function is called, so that is where the result is returned to.
    >So, in this case (with the parameters 2 and 4), it is the same as writing
    >result = 8;
    >
    >When you are using return true or false with markup, you are indicating
    >whether or not you want the default action to happen after the javascript
    >has been executed. An example is needed:

    >When the link is clicked the javascript code for the onClick will run first,
    >and we get an alert. We have used return true, so that is saying when we
    >click OK to remove the alert, we do want to run the markup. So in this case
    >once we click OK to dismiss the alert, we would then be taken to
    >somepage.html. If we changed that to return false we would get the alert,
    >but wouldn't go to somepage.html.
    >
    >So in your example if the method (form1_onsubmit) returns false, the default
    >behaviour of the form (action=formhandler.asp) won't run. In other words we
    >get the alert (thrown from inside the method), and when we click ok nothing
    >happens. If that method returns true though, the default behaviour will
    >occur, so the form will be submitted to the asp file.
    >
    >Gareth

    Excellent explination, Thanks!
    w i l l, Jul 4, 2003
  4. w i l l

    Dan Brussee Guest

    In article <>, willis_31_40
    @yahoo.com says...
    > Why does this work the way it does?
    > If someone could explain return true, and return false to me I'd
    > greatly appreciate it.

    It's a boolean thing - you wouldnt understand.

    Just kidding :)

    --

    Remove NOT from email address to reply. AntiSpam in action.
    Dan Brussee, Jul 4, 2003
  5. w i l l

    Dan Brussee Guest

    In article <>, willis_31_40
    @yahoo.com says...
    > Why does this work the way it does?
    > If someone could explain return true, and return false to me I'd
    > greatly appreciate it.

    Or better yet...

    function understand() {
    return false;

    Remove NOT from email address to reply. AntiSpam in action.
    Dan Brussee, Jul 4, 2003