Difference between servers while code is exact copy (in IE)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Els, Jul 12, 2006.

  1. Els

    Els Guest

    Hi,

    I just discovered something weird in IE with some of my pages, and I
    can't figure out what could be wrong.

    I've got this page on my host's server:
    http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    And an exact copy of it locally:
    http://here.locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html

    In my IE6 under WinXP, the local copy shows the same as in Firefox,
    i.e. lightgreen and lightyellow backgrounds behind thumbnails and
    captions.
    The online copy however, shows these backgrounds as red, which I have
    in there to debug - it's not supposed to show, and it doesn't in the
    local version, nor in the online version in Firefox or Opera.

    So... now I'm wondering if anyone can
    a) confirm that I'm not seeing things ;-)
    b) explain what causes it?

    Can the server itself really have this effect?
    The remote server is Apache 1.3.34 on Linux, my local one is Apache
    2.0.55 on WinXP.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 12, 2006

  2. Els

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Els wrote:

    > I just discovered something weird in IE with some of my pages, and I
    > can't figure out what could be wrong.
    >
    > I've got this page on my host's server:
    > http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    > And an exact copy of it locally:
    > http://here.locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    >
    > In my IE6 under WinXP, the local copy shows the same as in Firefox,
    > i.e. lightgreen and lightyellow backgrounds behind thumbnails and
    > captions.
    > The online copy however, shows these backgrounds as red, which I have
    > in there to debug - it's not supposed to show, and it doesn't in the
    > local version, nor in the online version in Firefox or Opera.

    Doesn't seem to be a server issue. Seems to be an IE bug in applying
    CSS to visited links. I bet that you clicked on a link on the online
    copy but not the local copy.

    When first loaded both versions (but am I actually see different copies
    from here?) look the same in IE6. However, when I click a link and then
    go back, the links now have a red background. This does not happen in
    Opera.

    It seems to me that IE is applying the
    a:visited {
    background:red; /* for debugging purpose */
    }
    in preference to the
    span.thumb a{
    background:#90EE90; /* lightgreen */
    }
    and
    span.caption a{
    background:#FFFFE0; /* lightyellow */
    }
    rules.

    In general I would apply colours to a:link and a:visited and only use
    pseudo-class-less a selectors for things like display: block and
    margins.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jul 12, 2006

  3. Els wrote:
    [...]

    > So... now I'm wondering if anyone can
    > a) confirm that I'm not seeing things ;-)

    You're seeing things :) For me (WinXP/IE6) the two pages look identical
    - green backround, yellow on hover.

    Andrew

    Andrew Donaldson, Jul 12, 2006
  4. Els

    Els Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> I just discovered something weird in IE with some of my pages, and I
    >> can't figure out what could be wrong.
    >>
    >> I've got this page on my host's server:
    >> http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    >> And an exact copy of it locally:
    >> http://here.locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    >>
    >> In my IE6 under WinXP, the local copy shows the same as in Firefox,
    >> i.e. lightgreen and lightyellow backgrounds behind thumbnails and
    >> captions.
    >> The online copy however, shows these backgrounds as red, which I have
    >> in there to debug - it's not supposed to show, and it doesn't in the
    >> local version, nor in the online version in Firefox or Opera.

    > Doesn't seem to be a server issue. Seems to be an IE bug in applying
    > CSS to visited links. I bet that you clicked on a link on the online
    > copy but not the local copy.

    Didn't really click them, but yes, the online version's linked page is
    in my cache, while the local one wasn't.

    > When first loaded both versions (but am I actually see different copies
    > from here?)

    Of course :)
    locusmeus.com is in the USA, here.locusmeus.com right here on my pc,
    in Hoogvliet (in the Netherlands)

    > look the same in IE6. However, when I click a link and then
    > go back, the links now have a red background. This does not happen in
    > Opera.
    >
    > It seems to me that IE is applying the
    > a:visited {
    > background:red; /* for debugging purpose */
    > }
    > in preference to the
    > span.thumb a{
    > background:#90EE90; /* lightgreen */
    > }
    > and
    > span.caption a{
    > background:#FFFFE0; /* lightyellow */
    > }
    > rules.

    Ah! Now there's a thought - why didn't I think of that! :)
    I've now set the background colors explicitly for a:link and
    a:visited, and that does indeed make a difference:
    http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest2.html
    http://here.locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest2.html

    > In general I would apply colours to a:link and a:visited and only use
    > pseudo-class-less a selectors for things like display: block and
    > margins.

    Yes, I normally do actually - probably why I never saw this problem
    before.

    Thanks for seeing what I didn't :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 12, 2006
  5. Els

    Els Guest

    Andrew Donaldson wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    >> So... now I'm wondering if anyone can
    >> a) confirm that I'm not seeing things ;-)

    > You're seeing things :) For me (WinXP/IE6) the two pages look identical
    > - green backround, yellow on hover.

    Thanks, as per Steve's reply - this means you haven't visited my
    homepage before ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 12, 2006
  6. Els wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just discovered something weird in IE with some of my pages, and I
    > can't figure out what could be wrong.
    >
    > I've got this page on my host's server:
    > http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    > And an exact copy of it locally:
    > http://here.locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    >
    > In my IE6 under WinXP, the local copy shows the same as in Firefox,
    > i.e. lightgreen and lightyellow backgrounds behind thumbnails and
    > captions.
    > The online copy however, shows these backgrounds as red, which I have
    > in there to debug - it's not supposed to show, and it doesn't in the
    > local version, nor in the online version in Firefox or Opera.

    It's green in both, here. Only difference I see is font size.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 12, 2006
  7. Els

    Els Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just discovered something weird in IE with some of my pages, and I
    >> can't figure out what could be wrong.
    >>
    >> I've got this page on my host's server:
    >> http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    >> And an exact copy of it locally:
    >> http://here.locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    >>
    >> In my IE6 under WinXP, the local copy shows the same as in Firefox,
    >> i.e. lightgreen and lightyellow backgrounds behind thumbnails and
    >> captions.
    >> The online copy however, shows these backgrounds as red, which I have
    >> in there to debug - it's not supposed to show, and it doesn't in the
    >> local version, nor in the online version in Firefox or Opera.

    > It's green in both, here. Only difference I see is font size.

    Difference in font-size?? Not a different setting in your browser?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 12, 2006
  8. Els wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Els wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I just discovered something weird in IE with some of my pages, and I
    >>> can't figure out what could be wrong.
    >>>
    >>> I've got this page on my host's server:
    >>> http://locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    >>> And an exact copy of it locally:
    >>> http://here.locusmeus.com/test/thumbswraptest.html
    >>>
    >>> In my IE6 under WinXP, the local copy shows the same as in Firefox,
    >>> i.e. lightgreen and lightyellow backgrounds behind thumbnails and
    >>> captions.
    >>> The online copy however, shows these backgrounds as red, which I have
    >>> in there to debug - it's not supposed to show, and it doesn't in the
    >>> local version, nor in the online version in Firefox or Opera.

    >> It's green in both, here. Only difference I see is font size.

    > Difference in font-size?? Not a different setting in your browser?

    I open IE6/XP. I go to one of those pages.

    I open a new IE6/XP window. I go to the other page.

    They look the same except for font size.

    FWIW, this is also true when I veiw the two pages in two tabs in one
    instance of Firefox.

    I don't know how browser settings would do that.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 12, 2006
  9. Els

    Els Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> It's green in both, here. Only difference I see is font size.

    >> Difference in font-size?? Not a different setting in your browser?

    > I open IE6/XP. I go to one of those pages.
    >
    > I open a new IE6/XP window. I go to the other page.
    >
    > They look the same except for font size.
    >
    > FWIW, this is also true when I veiw the two pages in two tabs in one
    > instance of Firefox.
    >
    > I don't know how browser settings would do that.

    Separate windows in IE and separate tabs in Firefox, can hold
    different font-sizes in the view menu. Are they both set to the same
    percentage?

    FWIW, there is no font-size set at all in the entire document...

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 12, 2006
  10. Els wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Difference in font-size?? Not a different setting in your browser?

    >> I open IE6/XP. I go to one of those pages.
    >>
    >> I open a new IE6/XP window. I go to the other page.
    >>
    >> They look the same except for font size.
    >>
    >> FWIW, this is also true when I veiw the two pages in two tabs in one
    >> instance of Firefox.
    >>
    >> I don't know how browser settings would do that.

    > Separate windows in IE and separate tabs in Firefox, can hold
    > different font-sizes in the view menu. Are they both set to the same
    > percentage?

    I don't see that in IE, now. I don't know why I saw it before. Or why
    I think I did. :)

    But yes, apparently of the two tabs I stuck them in in Firefox, I *had*
    changed text size in one of them, earlier, and had forgot about that. I
    just reopened FF and don't see that with two fresh tabs.

    I'm sorry.

    Do you need to punish me now? ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 12, 2006
  11. Els

    Els Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > But yes, apparently of the two tabs I stuck them in in Firefox, I *had*
    > changed text size in one of them, earlier, and had forgot about that. I
    > just reopened FF and don't see that with two fresh tabs.
    >
    > I'm sorry.

    np :)

    > Do you need to punish me now? ;)

    You wish! ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 12, 2006
  12. Els wrote:

    > Thanks, as per Steve's reply - this means you haven't visited my
    > homepage before ;-)

    Yes I have! - with Opera :p

    Andrew

    Andrew Donaldson, Jul 12, 2006
  13. Els

    Els Guest

    Andrew Donaldson wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, as per Steve's reply - this means you haven't visited my
    >> homepage before ;-)

    > Yes I have! - with Opera :p

    Well okay then, you're forgiven <g>

    --