Difference between using irb and window promt

Li Chen

Hi all,

I just write a script to change the filenames within a folder. Out of
curiosity I want to see the differences bewteen using irb and window
promt. I run the script from the window promt and I get what I want. But
when I paste all the codes to irb and run from there I get error
messages. In theory there is no defference using either irb or running
from window promt.

Can anyone there explain it?

Thanks,

Li

I run the same script from irb first, then run it from window promt
#########using irb
C:\>irb
irb(main):001:0> path='C:\Ruby\self'
=> "C:\\Ruby\\self"
irb(main):002:0>
irb(main):003:0* Dir.entries(path).each do |filename|
irb(main):004:1*
irb(main):005:1* if filename=~/(LIPID5-2)(\.\w+)/i
irb(main):006:2>
irb(main):007:2* open(filename).each{|line| puts line}.close
irb(main):008:2>
irb(main):009:2* new_name=filename.gsub(/LIPID5-2/,'LIPID5-3')
irb(main):010:2> File.rename( filename,new_name)
irb(main):011:2>
irb(main):012:2* end
irb(main):013:1>
irb(main):014:1*
irb(main):015:1* end
Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - LIPID5-2.001
from (irb):7:in `initialize'
from (irb):7:in `open'
from (irb):7
from (irb):3:in `each'