differences in xmllib

maxwell

I am trying to validate an xml file against a (hand made) schema using
xmllib. Under the version of xmllib that we have installed on a
FreeBSD system, I get useful error msgs, like

element c: Schemas validity error : Element 'c': This element
is not expected. Expected is one of (dGroup, ...

Under the version of xmllib I have installed under CygWin, I get
relatively useless error msgs, like

Element 'lxGroup' [CT local]: The element content is not valid.

Both error msgs are produced using the same command line parameters (
--noout --schema $(XSD_FILE) $(XML_DICT)). The (nice) FreeBSD xmllib
reports it is "using libxml version 20618", while the (naughty) CygWin
xmllib reports version 20616. The latter seems to be the latest
available in the CygWin distribution, but I doubt that the version
numbers account for the diff.

How can I force the CygWin xmllib to do better error reporting?
Alternatively, is there another tool that would be better for my
purposes? (Maybe one that would report line numbers above 65535!)

Thanks!

Mike Maxwell