    and Html?

    Is there a comparison list somewhere?

    Tia
    Wouter, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Wouter

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 21 Aug, 10:51, Wouter <> wrote:
    > Besides self closing <tags />, what are the syntax differences between Xhtml
    > and Html?

    This is an unbelievably FAQ, with a complex answer. Search the group
    archives, and those of c.i.w.a.h.
    Andy Dingley, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Scripsit Wouter:

    > Besides self closing <tags />, what are the syntax differences
    > between Xhtml and Html?

    Quite a many. Why do you care?

    > Is there a comparison list somewhere?

    Not really. The (in)famous appendix C purports to list the differences, but
    it doesn't. Some of the "differences" aren't differences, and some of the
    existing syntactic differences aren't listed there. Of course, this partly
    depends on your meaning for "syntax difference". For example, HTML restricts
    the name="..." attribute value to a NAME, whereas XHTML DTDs allow any
    string (CDATA) there. Is this a syntax difference?

    (If you don't know what appendix C is, don't even dream of using XHTML.)

    To produce a list, someone would have to read the XHTML and HTML
    specifications, especially including the DTDs, and compare them carefully.
    And I mean painful care. I see no reason to do anything like that. I might
    see a few thousands of euros as good enough a reason, but nobody offered to
    pay me, or anyone else, for such a job.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Wouter

    Wouter Guest

    Hey tx for your responses,

    On 21-08-2007 13:37, in article
    c7Ayi.210873$s%, "Jukka K. Korpela"
    <> wrote:

    > Quite a many. Why do you care?

    'Cus we've started work on a cms about a year and a half ago, in Xhtml (when
    everybody was saying xhtml was the way of the future) only to hear ppl tell
    me now that HTML is the way to go.

    So to convert it back to HTML i'd have to search & replace f.i all the <br
    />'s to <br>'s and the same for image tags etc...

    So that's the reason for asking...
    Wouter, Aug 21, 2007
  5. Wouter

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:51:32
    GMT Wouter scribed:

    > Besides self closing <tags />, what are the syntax differences between
    > Xhtml and Html?
    >
    > Is there a comparison list somewhere?

    Yes, several. On Google.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Scripsit Wouter:

    >> Quite a many. Why do you care?

    > 'Cus we've started work on a cms about a year and a half ago, in
    > Xhtml (when everybody was saying xhtml was the way of the future)
    > only to hear ppl tell me now that HTML is the way to go.

    Then you haven't read those messages in this group that tell you that
    there's really no reason to move to HTML _if_ you are already using XHTML
    and know how to use it properly. A move in either direction is usually waste
    of time (or worse, since people tend to break various things in the move).

    > So to convert it back to HTML i'd have to search & replace f.i all
    > the <br />'s to <br>'s and the same for image tags etc...

    Converting existing pages from anything to anything else is seldom useful.
    Redesigning and rewriting a page is a different issue, but such operations
    hardly make sense if done just to "clean things up" (which so often means
    messing things up).

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Wouter

    Wouter Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Then you haven't read those messages in this group that tell you that
    > there's really no reason to move to HTML _if_ you are already using XHTML
    > and know how to use it properly. A move in either direction is usually waste
    > of time (or worse, since people tend to break various things in the move).

    Your right, I haven't read those messages, while I sometimes graze over this
    NG I'm not a subscriber or someone who reads it each day, maybe I should...

    >> So to convert it back to HTML i'd have to search & replace f.i all
    >> the <br />'s to <br>'s and the same for image tags etc...

    > Converting existing pages from anything to anything else is seldom useful.
    > Redesigning and rewriting a page is a different issue, but such operations
    > hardly make sense if done just to "clean things up" (which so often means
    > messing things up).

    Cool, that's what I liked to hear...
    Wouter, Aug 21, 2007
  8. Wouter

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 21 Aug, 13:25, Wouter <> wrote:

    > > _if_ you are already using XHTML
    > > and know how to use it properly.

    > > Converting existing pages from anything to anything else is seldom useful.

    > Cool, that's what I liked to hear...

    Don't forget that first para and thr "_if_"
    Andy Dingley, Aug 21, 2007