Differences XHTML - HTML

Wouter

Besides self closing <tags />, what are the syntax differences between Xhtml
and Html?

Is there a comparison list somewhere?

Tia

Andy Dingley

Besides self closing <tags />, what are the syntax differences between Xhtml
and Html?

This is an unbelievably FAQ, with a complex answer. Search the group
archives, and those of c.i.w.a.h.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Wouter:
Besides self closing <tags />, what are the syntax differences
between Xhtml and Html?

Quite a many. Why do you care?
Is there a comparison list somewhere?

Not really. The (in)famous appendix C purports to list the differences, but
it doesn't. Some of the "differences" aren't differences, and some of the
existing syntactic differences aren't listed there. Of course, this partly
depends on your meaning for "syntax difference". For example, HTML restricts
the name="..." attribute value to a NAME, whereas XHTML DTDs allow any
string (CDATA) there. Is this a syntax difference?

(If you don't know what appendix C is, don't even dream of using XHTML.)

To produce a list, someone would have to read the XHTML and HTML
specifications, especially including the DTDs, and compare them carefully.
And I mean painful care. I see no reason to do anything like that. I might
see a few thousands of euros as good enough a reason, but nobody offered to
pay me, or anyone else, for such a job.

Wouter

Hey tx for your responses,

Quite a many. Why do you care?
'Cus we've started work on a cms about a year and a half ago, in Xhtml (when
everybody was saying xhtml was the way of the future) only to hear ppl tell
me now that HTML is the way to go.

So to convert it back to HTML i'd have to search & replace f.i all the <br
/>'s to <br>'s and the same for image tags etc...

So that's the reason for asking...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:51:32
GMT Wouter scribed:
Besides self closing <tags />, what are the syntax differences between
Xhtml and Html?

Is there a comparison list somewhere?

Yes, several. On Google.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Wouter:
'Cus we've started work on a cms about a year and a half ago, in
Xhtml (when everybody was saying xhtml was the way of the future)
only to hear ppl tell me now that HTML is the way to go.

Then you haven't read those messages in this group that tell you that
there's really no reason to move to HTML _if_ you are already using XHTML
and know how to use it properly. A move in either direction is usually waste
of time (or worse, since people tend to break various things in the move).
So to convert it back to HTML i'd have to search & replace f.i all
the <br />'s to <br>'s and the same for image tags etc...

Converting existing pages from anything to anything else is seldom useful.
Redesigning and rewriting a page is a different issue, but such operations
hardly make sense if done just to "clean things up" (which so often means
messing things up).

Wouter

Then you haven't read those messages in this group that tell you that
there's really no reason to move to HTML _if_ you are already using XHTML
and know how to use it properly. A move in either direction is usually waste
of time (or worse, since people tend to break various things in the move).
Your right, I haven't read those messages, while I sometimes graze over this
NG I'm not a subscriber or someone who reads it each day, maybe I should...
Converting existing pages from anything to anything else is seldom useful.
Redesigning and rewriting a page is a different issue, but such operations
hardly make sense if done just to "clean things up" (which so often means
messing things up).
Cool, that's what I liked to hear...