    www.infusedlight.net/cgi-bin/bbs.pl - please be kind.

    --
    Robin

    Robin, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Robin

    Tintin Guest

    "Robin" <webmaster @ infusedlight.net> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What are respectively the difference with linux and windows installed on
    > different partitions and windows by itself perl on both machines has
    > reletively the same run time, but that is just a guess. I have just
    > installed suse linux 9.1 personal and am wondering how to get a hold of
    > perl modules and then install them.

    Exactly the same way as any other Linux system (unless you use RPM's or
    equivalent) that is mentioned in the Perl FAQ.

    Let me know if this will be a problem for
    > some of you to answer or not. Anyway, thanks in advance.
    > -also I need beta testers for the script at
    > www.infusedlight.net/cgi-bin/bbs.pl - please be kind.

    Nah. We need to be brutely honest.

    You *still* haven't taken notice of all the advice given to you in the past.

    1. No 'use strict'
    2. Wierd formatting of the code.
    3. Calling subroutines with an &
    4. Not declaring variables in the smallest scope.
    5. No error checking on various functions like 'unlink'

    Not sure if anyone previously mentioned the use of 'unless' to make code
    clearer, but I'll mentioned it here.

    Most people tend to think that:

    unless (condition) {

    reads better than

    if (! condition) {

    Tintin, Jan 11, 2005

  3. "Tintin" <> writes:
    > Not sure if anyone previously mentioned the use of 'unless' to make code
    > clearer, but I'll mentioned it here.
    >
    > Most people tend to think that:
    >
    > unless (condition) {
    >
    > reads better than
    >
    > if (! condition) {

    "Unless ..." is probably usually better English prose than "if not
    ....", but programming code isn't prose. Maybe it's worth while
    pointing out that there are many natural languages in which the
    English word "unless" does not have a one-word equivalent.

    It can still be considered more idiomatic _Perl_, of course.

    Arndt Jonasson, Jan 11, 2005
  4. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:18:32 -0700, "Robin" <webmaster @
    infusedlight.net> wrote:

    >Subject: differences

    Extremely bad chosen Subject. Include in you subject line what your
    post is really about.

    >What are respectively the difference with linux and windows installed on
    >different partitions and windows by itself perl on both machines has
    >reletively the same run time, but that is just a guess. I have just

    Huh?!? I can hardly grasp the syntax of the question -provided that
    this is actually a question, for it's so convoulted that I'm not sure
    (and OTOH I cannot see any question mark)- let alone the semantic.

    So you want to know which are the differences between Linux and
    Windows as far as something having to do with perl and execution times
    is concerned, don't you? But... which is the actual question?!?

    >installed suse linux 9.1 personal and am wondering how to get a hold of perl
    >modules and then install them. Let me know if this will be a problem for
    >some of you to answer or not. Anyway, thanks in advance.

    Ditto as above!

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Jan 12, 2005
  5. Robin <> wrote:

    > What are respectively the difference with linux and windows installed on
    > different partitions and windows by itself perl on both machines has
    > reletively the same run time, but that is just a guess.

    Huh?

    Was that meant to be a sentence in the English language?

    > am wondering how to get a hold of perl
    > modules and then install them.

    The way the Perl FAQ says to:

    perldoc -q module

    What modules and extensions are available for Perl? What is CPAN?
    What does CPAN/src/... mean?

    How do I install a module from CPAN?

    How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    How do I add the directory my program lives in to the mod-
    ule/library search path?

    > Let me know if this will be a problem for
    > some of you to answer or not.

    Re-answering a Question that is Asked Frequently is always a problem,
    which is why FAQ lists were developed in the first place.

    They don't work if people won't look in them though.

    > please be kind.

    Please be respectful of other's time.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting