Different aspect on different browser

doGmaI

I'm using CSS to make a two-columns website (www.isketch-italian.net)
The main problem is that with this css
http://www.isketch-italian.net/css/isketch.css, the right column isn't
always the same size. I use Opera, Firefox and IE. With opera the right
column is 185 pixel width instead of 195, with IE is 188 and with firefox is
195.
The second problem is the background image. Each browser put le left corner
of the image in a different point.
Am I missing something? Is there a workaround to make the page look the same
on each browser?
Thanks

doGmaI

Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:18:45 -0400, Travis Newbury scrisse:
Funny I see 9 warnings.
Also, google IE and CSS box issues.
9 warnings??? OMG
I've just checked the page, and it still stells me full HTML 4.01
Transitional with no warning ...

Oli Filth

doGmaI said:
Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:18:45 -0400, Travis Newbury scrisse:

9 warnings??? OMG
I've just checked the page, and it still stells me full HTML 4.01
Transitional with no warning ...

I think Travis is referring to the frameset page.
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.isketch-italian.net/index2.html

However, with regard to your problem, no-one is going to bother sifting
through all that HTML to try to identify your problem.

Produce a minimum test-case, i.e. copy the HTML file (and the CSS), and
remove as much as possible whilst still demonstrating the problem. Then
come back with that. Who knows, you might even identify the problem in
the process.

Travis Newbury

Oli said:

Well in addition to the frameset page, this is from home.html (the one
giving you the problems)

line 125: <a href="http://www.forumfree.net><strong">ForumFree.net</a><br />
line 59: <form
action="http://www.domeus.it/public/remotebox_welcome.jsp"
target="_newWindow" method="post">

There are more, but you are correct, the online validator does not catch
these.

doGmaI

Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:26:31 GMT, Oli Filth scrisse:
Yes... I forgot to check that page too.
Now it seems ok
However, with regard to your problem, no-one is going to bother sifting
through all that HTML to try to identify your problem.

Produce a minimum test-case, i.e. copy the HTML file (and the CSS), and
remove as much as possible whilst still demonstrating the problem. Then
come back with that. Who knows, you might even identify the problem in
the process.
Done.
The test set is here http://www.isketch-italian.net/test/index.html.
The main problem is the lower right corner. The image is to small for the
right column on IE and FF (in opera it looks perfect). The CSS
(www.isketch-italian.net/test/css/isketch.css) still has the basic structure
(container, contenuto and colonnadx which are container=container,
contenuto=left column with white background, colonnadx=right column with
blue background)

doGmaI

Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:18:45 -0400, Travis Newbury scrisse:
Well in addition to the frameset page, this is from home.html (the one
giving you the problems)

line 125: <a href="http://www.forumfree.net><strong">ForumFree.net</a><br />
line 59: <form
action="http://www.domeus.it/public/remotebox_welcome.jsp"
target="_newWindow" method="post">

There are more, but you are correct, the online validator does not catch
these.
mmm bad. i thought that tool will catch this kind of error.
Bad :(
I need another day of looking through my html.
Thanks.
But the problems with background image is not still solved (even if the page
is now "safer"). ;)

dorayme

From: doGmaI said:
The test set is here http://www.isketch-italian.net/test/index.html.
The main problem is the lower right corner. The image is to small for the
right column on IE and FF (in opera it looks perfect). The CSS
(www.isketch-italian.net/test/css/isketch.css) still has the basic structure
(container, contenuto and colonnadx which are container=container,
contenuto=left column with white background, colonnadx=right column with
blue background)

Sorry, this is perhaps not at all relevant to your question, but could you
tell me what sort of file the favicon.ico is, an image file? Been having
trouble on my Mac with this type of file I occasionally run into (it is
referred to in your source code: <link rel="shortcut icon"
href="http://www.isketch-italian.net/favicon.ico">? Can't open them, can't
convert them to Photoshop (GKON creator code, type ICO ???). Some Microsoft
thing?)

dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
Sorry, this is perhaps not at all relevant to your question, but
could you tell me what sort of file the favicon.ico is, an image
file?

Yes, it's an image. An icon file. A "favicon" should be 16x16px. See
http://favicon.com/
Been having trouble on my Mac with this type of file I occasionally
run into (it is referred to in your source code: <link
rel="shortcut icon"
href="http://www.isketch-italian.net/favicon.ico">? Can't open
them, can't convert them to Photoshop (GKON creator code, type ICO
???). Some Microsoft thing?)

I have no Mac experience. <g> I have however, run into the occasional
favicon that didn't work because a clueless author just renamed a .jpg
or a .gif to an .ico extension, without actually converting the file type.

dorayme

From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Yes, it's an image. An icon file. A "favicon" should be 16x16px. See
http://favicon.com/

I have no Mac experience. <g> I have however, run into the occasional
favicon that didn't work because a clueless author just renamed a .jpg
or a .gif to an .ico extension, without actually converting the file type.

OK... I have some clue now...

I went to address mentioned and got "A Favicon is a multi-resolution image
included on nearly all professional developed sites." out of it. And looked
at a screen shot of an app for fiddling with them... Reminds me of the way
one can change resource PICTS in ResEdit for Macs. When I have them by
download, an *.ico file, I seem unable to open them in anything including
dragging over my browsers... And not really sure of the multi res aspect?
Perhaps not vector, just a facility to scale up the pixels as in pixel based
img pgm like PS (here it leaves the analogy of ResEdit)

Anyway, this is is just a little mystery that may solve itself for me in
time, please go to no trouble...

dorayme

Damn it, this name "favicon" is a bit catchy and keeps playing in my mind...
:)

Blinky the Shark

dorayme said:
I went to address mentioned and got "A Favicon is a multi-resolution image
included on nearly all professional developed sites." out of it. And looked
at a screen shot of an app for fiddling with them... Reminds me of the way
one can change resource PICTS in ResEdit for Macs. When I have them by
download, an *.ico file, I seem unable to open them in anything including
dragging over my browsers... And not really sure of the multi res aspect?
Perhaps not vector, just a facility to scale up the pixels as in pixel based
img pgm like PS (here it leaves the analogy of ResEdit)
Anyway, this is is just a little mystery that may solve itself for me in
time, please go to no trouble...

Are you trying to *make* a favicon?

http://www.html-kit.com/e/favicon.cgi

dorayme

From: Blinky the Shark said:
Are you trying to *make* a favicon?

No, just trying to understand them. Apart from it would be nice to know how
to open them when I have hold of them (sometimes downloaded as *.ico) I am
just curious! Honest, I'm not wanting to make any trouble... I like you all
.... :)

dorayme

Blinky the Shark

No, just trying to understand them. Apart from it would be nice to know how
to open them when I have hold of them (sometimes downloaded as *.ico) I am

With an icon editor. Google. Include "mac" in your search, since most
of them are for Windows.

Andy Dingley

With an icon editor.

Or with something like IrfanView, which won't edit them, but it will
convert them from JPGs or GIFs

What's a good web reference for favicon ? One that _really_ has the
original definitions for the things, not just "Hey d00ds make your site
k00l". What resolutions are permitted? What formats are permitted (if
you serve them correctly)? Who invented the things anyway?

Blinky the Shark

Andy said:
On 24 Apr 2005 04:55:45 GMT, Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
wrote:
Or with something like IrfanView, which won't edit them, but it will
convert them from JPGs or GIFs
What's a good web reference for favicon ? One that _really_ has the

I don't know of a definitive site.
original definitions for the things, not just "Hey d00ds make your site
k00l". What resolutions are permitted? What formats are permitted (if

16x16x16, I believe.
you serve them correctly)? Who invented the things anyway?

..ico format, if you want consistent rendering. I've seen other formats
used, but they didn't work in all the major browsers.

I think Al Gore invented them. :)

doGmaI

Il 24 Apr 2005 10:08:06 GMT, Blinky the Shark scrisse:
I don't know of a definitive site.

16x16x16, I believe.

.ico format, if you want consistent rendering. I've seen other formats
used, but they didn't work in all the major browsers.

I think Al Gore invented them. :)
Favicons were introduced by Internet Explorer (in the 5.5 version I think)

Sid Ismail

: No, just trying to understand them. Apart from it would be nice to know how
: to open them when I have hold of them (sometimes downloaded as *.ico) I am
: just curious! Honest, I'm not wanting to make any trouble... I like you all
: ... :)

Love you too.

Whilst most grahic editors do not handle .ico's, there is one that
does, and it's freeware! Irfanview.
http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

Sid