    Thanks
    --
    doGmaI
    doGmaI, Apr 22, 2005

  2. doGmaI wrote:
    > I'm using CSS to make a two-columns website (www.isketch-italian.net)
    > The main problem is that with this css...

    Nope that's not the main problem.

    Validate, fix the errors, then come back if you still ahve an issue.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 22, 2005

  3. doGmaI

    doGmaI Guest

    Il 22 Apr 2005 10:00:50 -0700, Travis Newbury scrisse:

    > doGmaI wrote:
    >> I'm using CSS to make a two-columns website (www.isketch-italian.net)
    >> The main problem is that with this css...

    > Nope that's not the main problem.
    >
    > Validate, fix the errors, then come back if you still ahve an issue.

    Mmmmm, the home page is a Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional (as shown here
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.isketch-italian.net/home.html)
    and its CSS is valid.
    I still see differences between opera, IE and FF (FF also has a problem with
    the end of the rigth column)

    --
    doGmaI
    doGmaI, Apr 23, 2005
  4. doGmaI wrote:
    > Il 22 Apr 2005 10:00:50 -0700, Travis Newbury scrisse:
    >

    >>doGmaI wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm using CSS to make a two-columns website (www.isketch-italian.net)
    >>>The main problem is that with this css...

    >>Nope that's not the main problem.
    >>
    >>Validate, fix the errors, then come back if you still ahve an issue.

    > Mmmmm, the home page is a Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional (as shown here
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.isketch-italian.net/home.html)
    > and its CSS is valid.
    > I still see differences between opera, IE and FF (FF also has a problem with
    > the end of the rigth column)

    Funny I see 9 warnings.
    Also, google IE and CSS box issues.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 23, 2005
  5. doGmaI

    doGmaI Guest

    Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:18:45 -0400, Travis Newbury scrisse:

    > doGmaI wrote:

    >>>Nope that's not the main problem.
    >>>
    >>>Validate, fix the errors, then come back if you still ahve an issue.

    >> Mmmmm, the home page is a Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional (as shown here
    >> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.isketch-italian.net/home.html)
    >> and its CSS is valid.
    >> I still see differences between opera, IE and FF (FF also has a problem with
    >> the end of the rigth column)
    >>

    > Funny I see 9 warnings.
    > Also, google IE and CSS box issues.

    9 warnings??? OMG
    I've just checked the page, and it still stells me full HTML 4.01
    Transitional with no warning ...

    --
    doGmaI
    doGmaI, Apr 23, 2005
  6. doGmaI

    Oli Filth Guest

    doGmaI wrote:
    > Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:18:45 -0400, Travis Newbury scrisse:
    >>Funny I see 9 warnings.
    >>Also, google IE and CSS box issues.

    > 9 warnings??? OMG
    > I've just checked the page, and it still stells me full HTML 4.01
    > Transitional with no warning ...

    I think Travis is referring to the frameset page.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.isketch-italian.net/index2.html

    However, with regard to your problem, no-one is going to bother sifting
    through all that HTML to try to identify your problem.

    Produce a minimum test-case, i.e. copy the HTML file (and the CSS), and
    remove as much as possible whilst still demonstrating the problem. Then
    come back with that. Who knows, you might even identify the problem in
    the process.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Apr 23, 2005
  7. Oli Filth wrote:
    > doGmaI wrote:
    >
    >> Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:18:45 -0400, Travis Newbury scrisse:
    >>> Funny I see 9 warnings.
    >>> Also, google IE and CSS box issues.

    >> 9 warnings??? OMG
    >> I've just checked the page, and it still stells me full HTML 4.01
    >> Transitional with no warning ...

    > I think Travis is referring to the frameset page.
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.isketch-italian.net/index2.html

    Well in addition to the frameset page, this is from home.html (the one
    giving you the problems)

    line 125: <a href="http://www.forumfree.net><strong">ForumFree.net</a><br />
    line 59: <form
    action="http://www.domeus.it/public/remotebox_welcome.jsp"
    target="_newWindow" method="post">

    There are more, but you are correct, the online validator does not catch
    these.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 23, 2005
  8. doGmaI

    doGmaI Guest

    Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:26:31 GMT, Oli Filth scrisse:

    > I think Travis is referring to the frameset page.
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.isketch-italian.net/index2.html

    Yes... I forgot to check that page too.
    Now it seems ok

    > However, with regard to your problem, no-one is going to bother sifting
    > through all that HTML to try to identify your problem.
    >
    > Produce a minimum test-case, i.e. copy the HTML file (and the CSS), and
    > remove as much as possible whilst still demonstrating the problem. Then
    > come back with that. Who knows, you might even identify the problem in
    > the process.

    Done.
    The test set is here http://www.isketch-italian.net/test/index.html.
    The main problem is the lower right corner. The image is to small for the
    right column on IE and FF (in opera it looks perfect). The CSS
    (www.isketch-italian.net/test/css/isketch.css) still has the basic structure
    (container, contenuto and colonnadx which are container=container,
    contenuto=left column with white background, colonnadx=right column with
    blue background)

    --
    doGmaI
    doGmaI, Apr 23, 2005
  9. doGmaI

    doGmaI Guest

    Il Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:18:45 -0400, Travis Newbury scrisse:

    > Oli Filth wrote:
    >> doGmaI wrote:

    >>> 9 warnings??? OMG
    >>> I've just checked the page, and it still stells me full HTML 4.01
    >>> Transitional with no warning ...

    >> I think Travis is referring to the frameset page.
    >> http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.isketch-italian.net/index2.html

    > Well in addition to the frameset page, this is from home.html (the one
    > giving you the problems)
    >
    > line 125: <a href="http://www.forumfree.net><strong">ForumFree.net</a><br />
    > line 59: <form
    > action="http://www.domeus.it/public/remotebox_welcome.jsp"
    > target="_newWindow" method="post">
    >
    > There are more, but you are correct, the online validator does not catch
    > these.

    mmm bad. i thought that tool will catch this kind of error.
    Bad :(
    I need another day of looking through my html.
    Thanks.
    But the problems with background image is not still solved (even if the page
    is now "safer"). ;)

    --
    doGmaI
    doGmaI, Apr 23, 2005
  10. doGmaI

    dorayme Guest

    > From: doGmaI <>

    > The test set is here http://www.isketch-italian.net/test/index.html.
    > The main problem is the lower right corner. The image is to small for the
    > right column on IE and FF (in opera it looks perfect). The CSS
    > (www.isketch-italian.net/test/css/isketch.css) still has the basic structure
    > (container, contenuto and colonnadx which are container=container,
    > contenuto=left column with white background, colonnadx=right column with
    > blue background)
    >
    > --
    > doGmaI

    Sorry, this is perhaps not at all relevant to your question, but could you
    tell me what sort of file the favicon.ico is, an image file? Been having
    trouble on my Mac with this type of file I occasionally run into (it is
    referred to in your source code: <link rel="shortcut icon"
    href="http://www.isketch-italian.net/favicon.ico">? Can't open them, can't
    convert them to Photoshop (GKON creator code, type ICO ???). Some Microsoft
    thing?)

    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 23, 2005
  11. dorayme wrote:
    > Sorry, this is perhaps not at all relevant to your question, but
    > could you tell me what sort of file the favicon.ico is, an image
    > file?

    Yes, it's an image. An icon file. A "favicon" should be 16x16px. See
    http://favicon.com/

    > Been having trouble on my Mac with this type of file I occasionally
    > run into (it is referred to in your source code: <link
    > rel="shortcut icon"
    > href="http://www.isketch-italian.net/favicon.ico">? Can't open
    > them, can't convert them to Photoshop (GKON creator code, type ICO
    > ???). Some Microsoft thing?)

    I have no Mac experience. <g> I have however, run into the occasional
    favicon that didn't work because a clueless author just renamed a .jpg
    or a .gif to an .ico extension, without actually converting the file type.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2005
  12. doGmaI

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <>

    > Yes, it's an image. An icon file. A "favicon" should be 16x16px. See
    > http://favicon.com/

    > I have no Mac experience. <g> I have however, run into the occasional
    > favicon that didn't work because a clueless author just renamed a .jpg
    > or a .gif to an .ico extension, without actually converting the file type.

    OK... I have some clue now...

    I went to address mentioned and got "A Favicon is a multi-resolution image
    included on nearly all professional developed sites." out of it. And looked
    at a screen shot of an app for fiddling with them... Reminds me of the way
    one can change resource PICTS in ResEdit for Macs. When I have them by
    download, an *.ico file, I seem unable to open them in anything including
    dragging over my browsers... And not really sure of the multi res aspect?
    Perhaps not vector, just a facility to scale up the pixels as in pixel based
    img pgm like PS (here it leaves the analogy of ResEdit)

    Anyway, this is is just a little mystery that may solve itself for me in
    time, please go to no trouble...

    dorayme

    Damn it, this name "favicon" is a bit catchy and keeps playing in my mind...
    :)
    dorayme, Apr 24, 2005
  13. dorayme wrote:

    > I went to address mentioned and got "A Favicon is a multi-resolution image
    > included on nearly all professional developed sites." out of it. And looked
    > at a screen shot of an app for fiddling with them... Reminds me of the way
    > one can change resource PICTS in ResEdit for Macs. When I have them by
    > download, an *.ico file, I seem unable to open them in anything including
    > dragging over my browsers... And not really sure of the multi res aspect?
    > Perhaps not vector, just a facility to scale up the pixels as in pixel based
    > img pgm like PS (here it leaves the analogy of ResEdit)

    > Anyway, this is is just a little mystery that may solve itself for me in
    > time, please go to no trouble...

    Are you trying to *make* a favicon?

    http://www.html-kit.com/e/favicon.cgi

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2005
  14. doGmaI

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Blinky the Shark <>

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> I went to address mentioned and got "A Favicon is a multi-resolution image
    >> included on nearly all professional developed sites." out of it. And looked
    >> at a screen shot of an app for fiddling with them... Reminds me of the way
    >> one can change resource PICTS in ResEdit for Macs. When I have them by
    >> download, an *.ico file, I seem unable to open them in anything including
    >> dragging over my browsers... And not really sure of the multi res aspect?
    >> Perhaps not vector, just a facility to scale up the pixels as in pixel based
    >> img pgm like PS (here it leaves the analogy of ResEdit)

    >> Anyway, this is is just a little mystery that may solve itself for me in
    >> time, please go to no trouble...

    > Are you trying to *make* a favicon?

    No, just trying to understand them. Apart from it would be nice to know how
    to open them when I have hold of them (sometimes downloaded as *.ico) I am
    just curious! Honest, I'm not wanting to make any trouble... I like you all
    .... :)

    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 24, 2005
  15. dorayme wrote:

    >> From: Blinky the Shark <>

    >> Are you trying to *make* a favicon?

    > No, just trying to understand them. Apart from it would be nice to know how
    > to open them when I have hold of them (sometimes downloaded as *.ico) I am

    With an icon editor. Google. Include "mac" in your search, since most
    of them are for Windows.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2005
  16. doGmaI

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 24 Apr 2005 04:55:45 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >With an icon editor.

    Or with something like IrfanView, which won't edit them, but it will
    convert them from JPGs or GIFs

    What's a good web reference for favicon ? One that _really_ has the
    original definitions for the things, not just "Hey d00ds make your site
    k00l". What resolutions are permitted? What formats are permitted (if
    you serve them correctly)? Who invented the things anyway?
    Andy Dingley, Apr 24, 2005
  17. Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On 24 Apr 2005 04:55:45 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:

    >>With an icon editor.

    > Or with something like IrfanView, which won't edit them, but it will
    > convert them from JPGs or GIFs

    > What's a good web reference for favicon ? One that _really_ has the

    I don't know of a definitive site.

    > original definitions for the things, not just "Hey d00ds make your site
    > k00l". What resolutions are permitted? What formats are permitted (if

    16x16x16, I believe.

    > you serve them correctly)? Who invented the things anyway?

    ..ico format, if you want consistent rendering. I've seen other formats
    used, but they didn't work in all the major browsers.

    I think Al Gore invented them. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2005
  18. doGmaI

    doGmaI Guest

    Il 24 Apr 2005 10:08:06 GMT, Blinky the Shark scrisse:

    > Andy Dingley wrote:
    >
    >> On 24 Apr 2005 04:55:45 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>With an icon editor.

    >> Or with something like IrfanView, which won't edit them, but it will
    >> convert them from JPGs or GIFs

    >> What's a good web reference for favicon ? One that _really_ has the

    > I don't know of a definitive site.
    >
    >> original definitions for the things, not just "Hey d00ds make your site
    >> k00l". What resolutions are permitted? What formats are permitted (if

    > 16x16x16, I believe.
    >
    >> you serve them correctly)? Who invented the things anyway?

    > .ico format, if you want consistent rendering. I've seen other formats
    > used, but they didn't work in all the major browsers.
    >
    > I think Al Gore invented them. :)

    Favicons were introduced by Internet Explorer (in the 5.5 version I think)

    --
    doGmaI
    doGmaI, Apr 24, 2005
  19. doGmaI

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:10:22 +1100, dorayme <>
    wrote:

    : No, just trying to understand them. Apart from it would be nice to know how
    : to open them when I have hold of them (sometimes downloaded as *.ico) I am
    : just curious! Honest, I'm not wanting to make any trouble... I like you all
    : ... :)

    Love you too.

    Whilst most grahic editors do not handle .ico's, there is one that
    does, and it's freeware! Irfanview.
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Apr 24, 2005