Different behaviour on Netscape.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mr. X., Sep 23, 2008.

  1. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    Hello.
    In Netscape (I have checked new version 9.0.0.5) , there is different
    behaviour, that doesn't work at all.
    I think the problem may be related to the id.

    Here is the code
    (For those who want my URL for their database - I don't have any,
    because the site is under construction, and that's the best I can give.
    I still think it's enough for the case to understand what the problem is).
    The HTML
    ========
    <head>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="main.css" />
    <SCRIPT SRC="Main.js" type="text/javascript">
    </SCRIPT>
    </head>
    <ul>
    </ul>
    <iframe src = "my_src.aspx" frameborder = "0" scrolling = "no" id =
    "main_iframe" />

    *************

    main.js
    =====
    function call_func()
    {
    main_iframe.location = "test_html.html";
    }

    .... The above doesn't work only on Netscape version 9.0.0.5

    When I do the following code, program works fine :
    in main.js :
    function call_func()
    {
    parent.parent.document.location = "test.html";
    }
    The follows work fine, but refresh the whole page.

    All the above works fine on IE, and Safari (as far as I have checked),
    but only the first example I gave:
    function call_func()
    {
    main_iframe.location = "test_html.html";
    }
    doesn't work for Netscape only.

    Thanks :)

    Mr. X., Sep 23, 2008

  2. Mr. X.

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Sep 23, 1:50 am, "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:
    > Hello.
    > In Netscape (I have checked new version 9.0.0.5) , there is different
    > behaviour, that doesn't work at all.
    > I think the problem may be related to the id.
    >
    > Here is the code
    > (For those who want my URL for their database - I don't have any,
    > because the site is under construction, and that's the best I can give.
    > I still think it's enough for the case to understand what the problem is)..
    > The HTML
    > ========
    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >  "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    > <head>
    > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="main.css" />
    > <SCRIPT SRC="Main.js" type="text/javascript">
    > </SCRIPT>
    > </head>
    >        <ul>
    >       </ul>
    >      <iframe src = "my_src.aspx"  frameborder = "0" scrolling = "no" id =
    > "main_iframe" />
    >
    > *************
    >
    > main.js
    > =====
    > function call_func()
    > {
    >   main_iframe.location = "test_html.html";
    >
    > }
    >
    > ... The above doesn't work only on Netscape version 9.0.0.5

    > When I do the following code, program works fine :
    > in main.js :
    > function call_func()
    > {
    >   parent.parent.document.location = "test.html";}
    >
    > The follows work fine, but refresh the whole page.
    >
    > All the above works fine on IE, and Safari (as far as I have checked),
    > but only the first example I gave:
    > function call_func()
    > {
    >   main_iframe.location = "test_html.html";}
    >
    > doesn't work for Netscape only.
    >
    > Thanks :)

    The owner of Netscape, AOL, discontinued all support of all versions
    of Netscape many months ago including security updates. I have removed
    Netscape browsers from my computer. However I think you should be more
    concerned about Firefox. Many once loyal Netscape users now use
    Firefox, or Seamonkey if they want a complete suite much like the
    Netscape ones. It might also be well to check on the Opera browser.
    Firefox browsers now likely are the most used browsers after IE ones,
    so good response on Firefox is a must. Since the most recent Netscape
    browsers were based on Firefox, it is more than likely that a problem
    with a recent Netscape browser might be met on a Firefox browser also.

    cwdjrxyz, Sep 23, 2008

  3. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    Thanks.

    For the issue :
    document.getElementById("main_iframe").src = "test.html";
    .... has solved the problem, and is compatible for all current browsers.

    For several browser I have :
    IE 5.5 and later versions (until 7.0).
    I think IE 4.0 is not in used so much, and many new sites doesn't work on
    that version.
    Safari 3.1.2.
    Netscape 9.

    I should install the firefox, new google . BTW I don't find it, even in
    google ;o)

    I know some navigators are based on prior navigators, such as MOZILA,
    so I think it's a good check if I install MOZILA.

    I don't satisfied of IE 7 - it is too too heavy, even on core2due.

    Thanks :)

    Mr. X., Sep 23, 2008
  4. Mr. X.

    Ari Heino Guest

    > I should install the firefox, new google . BTW I don't find it, even in
    > google ;o)

    Where did yu look for it? Have you tried to google with "google
    browser"? Remember occam's razor. If you don't know what's that, google
    "occam's razor".

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, Sep 23, 2008
  5. Mr. X.

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Sep 23, 3:04 am, "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:
    > Thanks.
    >
    > For the issue :
    > document.getElementById("main_iframe").src = "test.html";
    > ... has solved the problem, and is compatible for all current browsers.
    >
    > For several browser I have :
    > IE 5.5 and later versions (until 7.0).
    > I think IE 4.0 is not in used so much, and many new sites doesn't work on
    > that version.

    IE4, a browser war era browser, does not support
    document.getElementById and neither does the 4 version of Netscape.
    Anyone who uses secure sites likely would soon find they could not get
    many unless they update from these old browsers. Both browsers now
    likely are potential security risks, but hackers likely will not
    trouble themselves trying to hack them because so few of these
    browsers are still used.

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

    > I know some navigators are based on prior navigators, such as MOZILA,
    > so I think it's a good check if I install MOZILA.

    The Mozilla org has discontinued support of the Mozilla browser. It is
    replaced by their Firefox. Those who want a complete suite often like
    Seamonkey which is based on the Firefox browser with a lot of extras,
    much as Netscape browser once had.

    If Mozilla confuses, it was once part of Netscape but split away and
    is now an organization by itself. Funding is contributed from a
    variety of sources. It would nearly take a lawyer to explain the
    complicated history of Mozilla.

    > I don't satisfied of IE 7 - it is too too heavy, even on core2due.

    Perhaps you will like IE8 more, which is now in beta - and perhaps
    not. If you want something really heavy, just install the Microsoft
    Vista OS if your computer will accept it :).

    cwdjrxyz, Sep 23, 2008
  6. Mr. X.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <gbb194$6gj$>,
    Ari Heino <> wrote:

    > > I should install the firefox, new google . BTW I don't find it, even in
    > > google ;o)

    > Where did yu look for it? Have you tried to google with "google
    > browser"? Remember occam's razor. If you don't know what's that, google
    > "occam's razor".

    What has William Of Ockham got to do Firefox?

    He used a different one and not even related to Mozilla. It was known at
    the time as The Franciscan Browser and the reigning English monarchs of
    the time (Boniface VIII et al) decreed death to anyone who used any
    other browser.

    This was the driving force behind Ockham's fondness for simplicity and
    oneness and less is more. Fear drove him and fear drove the scientific
    world from then on to make do with as little as possible.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 24, 2008
  7. Mr. X.

    Ari Heino Guest

    >>> I should install the firefox, new google . BTW I don't find it, even in
    >>> google ;o)

    >> Where did yu look for it? Have you tried to google with "google
    >> browser"? Remember occam's razor. If you don't know what's that, google
    >> "occam's razor".

    > What has William Of Ockham got to do Firefox?

    I assume X had trouble finding Google Chrome, not FF.

    BTW, have you seen my razor?
    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/