Different colors?

Samuël van Laere

I'm just wondering:
I've just installed W2K Pro with IE 6.0 and all system updates available.
Its a multiboot system, so i still have my trusted Win98SE available to.
But why are the colors of my webpage different on each OS with the IE
browser?

Win98SE still uses IE 5.5 SP2, could this be the reason?
Or is there another reason?

With regards,
Samuël van Laere

news

You'll find a similar problem with different graphics packages... Example of
this is when u use Photshop and paint shop pro which give you a different
#FF.... number for the same color.
I have noticed a similar situaution using the same OS on different machines
when everything is set the same, same hardware etc... the same game will run
different colors.... It leaves me confussed as well seeing as no matter how
hard I try I can never get things as pretty as my bro (although I must admit
he is a virtual world expert for one of the most world renowed military
companies)

Dy

rf

Samuël van Laere said:
I'm just wondering:
I've just installed W2K Pro with IE 6.0 and all system updates available.
Its a multiboot system, so i still have my trusted Win98SE available to.
But why are the colors of my webpage different on each OS with the IE
browser?

Win98SE still uses IE 5.5 SP2, could this be the reason?
Or is there another reason?

Do you have both desktop>right-click>properties>settings>colour quality set
to the same thing?

Cheers
Richard.

Samuël van Laere

rf said:
Do you have both desktop>right-click>properties>settings>colour quality set
to the same thing?

Cheers
Richard.

Richard,

On both systems they are set to the same.
However i played around with the resolution, and have found the fix for
this.
On Win98SE i'm running 1024x768 on 16bits.
I was running the same resolution on W2K.
Its wierd, but when using 24 or 32 bits on W2K the colors display in the
correct color.

So if anyone is having the same problem on W2K:
Just set the resolution to either 24 or 32 bits in your prefered resolution.

With regards,
Samuël van Laere

Samuël van Laere

news said:
You'll find a similar problem with different graphics packages... Example of
this is when u use Photshop and paint shop pro which give you a different
#FF.... number for the same color.
I have noticed a similar situaution using the same OS on different machines
when everything is set the same, same hardware etc... the same game will run
different colors.... It leaves me confussed as well seeing as no matter how
hard I try I can never get things as pretty as my bro (although I must admit
he is a virtual world expert for one of the most world renowed military
companies)

Dy

Try setting the display to 24 or 32 bits while using your prefered
resolution.
It worked for me :)

With regards,
Samuël van Laere

rf

Samuël van Laere said:
Richard,

On both systems they are set to the same.
However i played around with the resolution, and have found the fix for
this.
On Win98SE i'm running 1024x768 on 16bits.
I was running the same resolution on W2K.
Its wierd, but when using 24 or 32 bits on W2K the colors display in the
correct color.

Thought so. With 16 bits it's entirely up to the manufacturer of the colour
card/driver how the colours are handled. Some drivers merely move the colour
to the nearest 16 bit equivelant. Some dither between two different 16 bit
colours to interpolate the desired colour. Sounds like your XP driver is a
bit smarter than the 98 driver. Fire up your magnifier (found under
accessibility utilities) and look very closely at the page.

Just goes to show that you will never get a page looking exactly the same on
all computers. Even two identical out of the box screens will be different.
The user only has to poke at the brightness menu to change the look.

Cheers
Richard.
So if anyone is having the same problem on W2K:
Just set the resolution to either 24 or 32 bits in your prefered
resolution.

Yep. Sound advice if you have the memory to do this.

Cheers
Richard.

Samuël van Laere

rf said:
[...]

Mmm, it also could be driver related?
Win98SE doesn't have the driver for my card, i had to install it myself
using the disk that came with the card.
W2K however does have the correct driver and installed it without asking.
So maybe the versions of the drivers on both systems are different.
Note that i'm not running XP but W2K, i'm not going to spend any money just
to get XP.
W2K is just as good as XP, perhaps even better.

Anyway thanks for your addtional comments Richard.

Regards,
Samuël van Laere

Samuël van Laere

rf said:
[...]

Yes you have answered my question allready, it also can be driver related..
Thanks.

Regards,
Samuël

rf

Samuël van Laere said:
Mmm, it also could be driver related?
Win98SE doesn't have the driver for my card, i had to install it myself
using the disk that came with the card.
W2K however does have the correct driver and installed it without asking.
So maybe the versions of the drivers on both systems are different.

Very likely.
Note that i'm not running XP but W2K, i'm not going to spend any money just
to get XP.
W2K is just as good as XP, perhaps even better.

Windows 2000 is merely Windows NT release 5.0. XP is NT release 5.1. There
is hardly any difference at all at the kernel level. The major differences
are the added security features which I find to be a real pain in the arse.
If I could find the button that turns it all off I would press it :)

Cheers
Richard.