    Or is there another reason?

    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Samuël van Laere

    news Guest

    You'll find a similar problem with different graphics packages... Example of
    this is when u use Photshop and paint shop pro which give you a different
    #FF.... number for the same color.
    I have noticed a similar situaution using the same OS on different machines
    when everything is set the same, same hardware etc... the same game will run
    different colors.... It leaves me confussed as well seeing as no matter how
    hard I try I can never get things as pretty as my bro (although I must admit
    he is a virtual world expert for one of the most world renowed military
    companies)

    Dy

    news, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Samuël van Laere

    rf Guest

    > I'm just wondering:
    > I've just installed W2K Pro with IE 6.0 and all system updates available.
    > Its a multiboot system, so i still have my trusted Win98SE available to.
    > But why are the colors of my webpage different on each OS with the IE
    > browser?
    >
    > Win98SE still uses IE 5.5 SP2, could this be the reason?
    > Or is there another reason?

    Do you have both desktop>right-click>properties>settings>colour quality set
    to the same thing?

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 14, 2003
  4. "rf" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm just wondering:
    > > I've just installed W2K Pro with IE 6.0 and all system updates

    available.
    > > Its a multiboot system, so i still have my trusted Win98SE available to.
    > > But why are the colors of my webpage different on each OS with the IE
    > > browser?
    > >
    > > Win98SE still uses IE 5.5 SP2, could this be the reason?
    > > Or is there another reason?

    > Do you have both desktop>right-click>properties>settings>colour quality

    set
    > to the same thing?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Richard,

    On both systems they are set to the same.
    However i played around with the resolution, and have found the fix for
    this.
    On Win98SE i'm running 1024x768 on 16bits.
    I was running the same resolution on W2K.
    Its wierd, but when using 24 or 32 bits on W2K the colors display in the
    correct color.

    So if anyone is having the same problem on W2K:
    Just set the resolution to either 24 or 32 bits in your prefered resolution.

    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Nov 14, 2003
  5. "news" <> schreef in bericht
    > You'll find a similar problem with different graphics packages... Example

    of
    > this is when u use Photshop and paint shop pro which give you a different
    > #FF.... number for the same color.
    > I have noticed a similar situaution using the same OS on different

    machines
    > when everything is set the same, same hardware etc... the same game will

    run
    > different colors.... It leaves me confussed as well seeing as no matter

    how
    > hard I try I can never get things as pretty as my bro (although I must

    admit
    > he is a virtual world expert for one of the most world renowed military
    > companies)
    >
    > Dy

    Try setting the display to 24 or 32 bits while using your prefered
    resolution.
    It worked for me :)

    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Samuël van Laere

    rf Guest

    > "rf" <> schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm just wondering:
    > > > I've just installed W2K Pro with IE 6.0 and all system updates

    > available.
    > > > Its a multiboot system, so i still have my trusted Win98SE available

    to.
    > > > But why are the colors of my webpage different on each OS with the IE
    > > > browser?
    > > >
    > > > Win98SE still uses IE 5.5 SP2, could this be the reason?
    > > > Or is there another reason?

    > > Do you have both desktop>right-click>properties>settings>colour quality

    > set
    > > to the same thing?
    > >

    > Richard,
    >
    > On both systems they are set to the same.
    > However i played around with the resolution, and have found the fix for
    > this.
    > On Win98SE i'm running 1024x768 on 16bits.
    > I was running the same resolution on W2K.
    > Its wierd, but when using 24 or 32 bits on W2K the colors display in the
    > correct color.

    Thought so. With 16 bits it's entirely up to the manufacturer of the colour
    card/driver how the colours are handled. Some drivers merely move the colour
    to the nearest 16 bit equivelant. Some dither between two different 16 bit
    colours to interpolate the desired colour. Sounds like your XP driver is a
    bit smarter than the 98 driver. Fire up your magnifier (found under
    accessibility utilities) and look very closely at the page.

    Just goes to show that you will never get a page looking exactly the same on
    all computers. Even two identical out of the box screens will be different.
    The user only has to poke at the brightness menu to change the look.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    > So if anyone is having the same problem on W2K:
    > Just set the resolution to either 24 or 32 bits in your prefered

    resolution.

    Yep. Sound advice if you have the memory to do this.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 14, 2003
  7. "rf" <> schreef in bericht

    > Thought so. With 16 bits it's entirely up to the manufacturer of the

    colour
    > card/driver how the colours are handled. Some drivers merely move the

    colour
    > to the nearest 16 bit equivelant. Some dither between two different 16 bit
    > colours to interpolate the desired colour. Sounds like your XP driver is a
    > bit smarter than the 98 driver. Fire up your magnifier (found under
    > accessibility utilities) and look very closely at the page.
    >
    > Just goes to show that you will never get a page looking exactly the same

    on
    > all computers. Even two identical out of the box screens will be

    different.
    > The user only has to poke at the brightness menu to change the look.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.
    >
    > > So if anyone is having the same problem on W2K:
    > > Just set the resolution to either 24 or 32 bits in your prefered

    > resolution.
    >
    > Yep. Sound advice if you have the memory to do this.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Mmm, it also could be driver related?
    Win98SE doesn't have the driver for my card, i had to install it myself
    using the disk that came with the card.
    W2K however does have the correct driver and installed it without asking.
    So maybe the versions of the drivers on both systems are different.
    Note that i'm not running XP but W2K, i'm not going to spend any money just
    to get XP.
    W2K is just as good as XP, perhaps even better.

    Anyway thanks for your addtional comments Richard.

    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Nov 15, 2003
  8. "rf" <> schreef in bericht

    > Thought so. With 16 bits it's entirely up to the manufacturer of the

    colour
    > card/driver how the colours are handled. Some drivers merely move the

    colour
    > to the nearest 16 bit equivelant. Some dither between two different 16 bit
    > colours to interpolate the desired colour. Sounds like your XP driver is a
    > bit smarter than the 98 driver. Fire up your magnifier (found under
    > accessibility utilities) and look very closely at the page.
    >
    > Just goes to show that you will never get a page looking exactly the same

    on
    > all computers. Even two identical out of the box screens will be

    different.
    > The user only has to poke at the brightness menu to change the look.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.
    >
    > > So if anyone is having the same problem on W2K:
    > > Just set the resolution to either 24 or 32 bits in your prefered

    > resolution.
    >
    > Yep. Sound advice if you have the memory to do this.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Yes you have answered my question allready, it also can be driver related..
    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Samuël
    Samuël van Laere, Nov 15, 2003
  9. Samuël van Laere

    rf Guest

    > "rf" <> schreef in bericht
    > >

    > Mmm, it also could be driver related?
    > Win98SE doesn't have the driver for my card, i had to install it myself
    > using the disk that came with the card.
    > W2K however does have the correct driver and installed it without asking.
    > So maybe the versions of the drivers on both systems are different.

    Very likely.

    > Note that i'm not running XP but W2K, i'm not going to spend any money

    just
    > to get XP.
    > W2K is just as good as XP, perhaps even better.

    Windows 2000 is merely Windows NT release 5.0. XP is NT release 5.1. There
    is hardly any difference at all at the kernel level. The major differences
    are the added security features which I find to be a real pain in the arse.
    If I could find the button that turns it all off I would press it :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 15, 2003