different views for 1280 x abc and smaller resolutions

ActionNotMotion

I have a nice outside border that should only be visible on the 1280
and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
concrete input. Ty

Philip

I have a nice outside border that should only be visible on the 1280
and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
concrete input. Ty

Hi Ty,
You could style the nice outside border with a margin-left that would
place it outside of the viewport of users running with a window < 1280
pixels wide, or try something even tricker with Javascript. However, in
my opinion most attempts to control the user's experience like this are
misguided and also not worth the trouble. Me, if have a browser window
open wider than 1280 pixels, I probably want to use all 1280+ pixels of
that space for displaying content.

My $.02

NOXwebmasterx

I have a nice outside border

I presume you mean the border of the whole page, i.e. the body element?
And set in CSS? Address where we can see it?
that should only be visible on the 1280
and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
concrete input. Ty

Set the border's width and height as a percentage of the page width and
height.

NOXwebmasterx

I presume you mean the border of the whole page, i.e. the body element?
And set in CSS? Address where we can see it?

Set the border's width and height as a percentage of the page width and
height.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm full of it today. I just tried this in fox and it
didn't work. After changing the percentage to px id did. I'll have to
check this out with the official rules.

<head>
body{width:90%; border:10% solid #777;}
</head>

;lakjsd ;alskdj ;alsdjf ;alsdjf ;alskjdf ;alskjdf ;alksdjf ;alsdjf
;alksjdf ;alksjdf ;alsjf ;alksdj ;asdlfkj

NOXwebmasterx

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Erm, this line

body{width:90%; border:10% solid #777;}
should be:

body{border:10% solid #777;}
versus
body{border:10px solid #777;}

ActionNotMotion

I'm working on some other issues now, but by monday I should have
incorporated some of these suggestions and I'll try to post some
response then.

Ty (thank you :)