    scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
    concrete input. Ty

    , Jun 16, 2006

  2. Philip Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I have a nice outside border that should only be visible on the 1280
    > and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
    > take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
    > problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
    > maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
    > center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
    > that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
    > vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
    > scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
    > concrete input. Ty

    Hi Ty,
    You could style the nice outside border with a margin-left that would
    place it outside of the viewport of users running with a window < 1280
    pixels wide, or try something even tricker with Javascript. However, in
    my opinion most attempts to control the user's experience like this are
    misguided and also not worth the trouble. Me, if have a browser window
    open wider than 1280 pixels, I probably want to use all 1280+ pixels of
    that space for displaying content.

    My $.02

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

    Philip, Jun 16, 2006

    wrote:
    > I have a nice outside border

    I presume you mean the border of the whole page, i.e. the body element?
    And set in CSS? Address where we can see it?

    > that should only be visible on the 1280
    > and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
    > take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
    > problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
    > maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
    > center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
    > that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
    > vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
    > scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
    > concrete input. Ty

    Set the border's width and height as a percentage of the page width and
    height.

    , Jun 16, 2006

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a nice outside border

    > I presume you mean the border of the whole page, i.e. the body element?
    > And set in CSS? Address where we can see it?
    >

    >>that should only be visible on the 1280
    >>and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
    >>take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
    >>problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
    >>maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
    >>center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
    >>that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
    >>vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
    >>scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
    >>concrete input. Ty
    >>

    > Set the border's width and height as a percentage of the page width and
    > height.

    Hmmm. Maybe I'm full of it today. I just tried this in fox and it
    didn't work. After changing the percentage to px id did. I'll have to
    check this out with the official rules.

    <head>
    body{width:90%; border:10% solid #777;}
    </head>

    ;lakjsd ;alskdj ;alsdjf ;alsdjf ;alskjdf ;alskjdf ;alksdjf ;alsdjf
    ;alksjdf ;alksjdf ;alsjf ;alksdj ;asdlfkj

    , Jun 16, 2006

    wrote:

    Erm, this line

    body{width:90%; border:10% solid #777;}
    should be:

    body{border:10% solid #777;}
    versus
    body{border:10px solid #777;}

    , Jun 16, 2006

    I'm working on some other issues now, but by monday I should have
    incorporated some of these suggestions and I'll try to post some
    response then.

    Ty (thank you :)

    , Jun 16, 2006