Differentiating file attachments from inline attachments in Exchange

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter Green, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. Peter Green

    Peter Green Guest

    I am trying to write some code that will scan an Exchange 2003
    mailbox, detach file attachments from messages into the file system
    and replace them in the message with links. My initial attempt is
    based on Tim Golden's approach at
    http://timgolden.me.uk/python/win32_how_do_i/replace-outlook-attachments-with-links.html,
    using CDO.

    A typical message may contain AutoCAD drawings, PDFs, site photographs
    and Excel spreadsheet schedules as separate file attachments, together
    with inline graphics such as a corporate logo in the signature. The
    problem is that iterating over the message attachments using CDO
    detaches *everything*. I want to leave the inline images in the
    message body.

    I've looked at the CDO documentation and cannot see any property that
    distinguishes inline images from file attachments. I suspect I am
    barking up the wrong tree and need to be automating Outlook instead,
    but if so, any suggestions as to how I can achieve what I want? I
    imagine Content-Disposition Headers are going to be involved
    somehow...

    Thanks in advance,

    Peter
    Peter Green, Nov 5, 2009