Differnce between Java Bean and Enterprise Java Bean

Discussion in 'Java' started by Markku Salminen, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. > I am a new user of Java. Please ans the followings. I would really
    > appriciate.
    >
    > 1. Is there any difference between Java Bean and Enterprise Java Bean(EJB),
    > if so, what is/are those?

    They are totally different. Bean is just a class with private
    attributes handled with get and set methods. EJB's are
    server components.

    > 2. As a programmer point of view, is there any difference between tomcat and
    > WebSphere or JBoss?

    It depends what are you doing? If you want to learn how to develope
    the enterprise applications then JBoss is good choise. WebSphere is
    commercial product.

    --
    Markku

    Markku Salminen, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Markku Salminen

    Zee Guest

    Hi All

    I am a new user of Java. Please ans the followings. I would really
    appriciate.

    1. Is there any difference between Java Bean and Enterprise Java Bean(EJB),
    if so, what is/are those?
    2. As a programmer point of view, is there any difference between tomcat and
    WebSphere or JBoss?

    Thanks in advance

    zee

    Zee, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Markku Salminen

    Tom Cole Guest

    "Markku Salminen" <> wrote in message

    > > I am a new user of Java. Please ans the followings. I would really
    > > appriciate.
    > >
    > > 1. Is there any difference between Java Bean and Enterprise Java

    Bean(EJB),
    > > if so, what is/are those?

    > They are totally different. Bean is just a class with private
    > attributes handled with get and set methods. EJB's are
    > server components.

    No correlation at all. Enterprise Java Bean was probably not the best name
    for those, seeing the JavaBean came first...

    > > 2. As a programmer point of view, is there any difference between tomcat

    and
    > > WebSphere or JBoss?

    > It depends what are you doing? If you want to learn how to develope
    > the enterprise applications then JBoss is good choise. WebSphere is
    > commercial product.

    Tomcat is a Servlet container. It serves Servlets and JSP content. It does
    not server EJBs.

    JBoss is an application server, it serves EJBs. It does not serve Servlets
    or JSPs. (At least I don't believe it does. Never tried it. They provide a
    pre-wired version with Tomcat or Jetty as the servlet container).

    The typical web application environment would utilize both Tomcat (or Jetty
    or other Servlet container) and JBoss (or JoNaS, or Enhydra or other
    application server) as well as an http server like Apache or IIS, each piece
    doing it's thing: Apache/IIS --> static content; Tomcat --> Servlets & JSP;
    JBoss --> EJBs.

    Tom Cole, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Markku Salminen wrote:

    >> I am a new user of Java. Please ans the followings. I would really
    >> appriciate.
    >>
    >> 1. Is there any difference between Java Bean and Enterprise Java
    >> Bean(EJB),
    >> if so, what is/are those?

    > They are totally different. Bean is just a class with private
    > attributes handled with get and set methods.

    I think the specification also requires a public no-args constructor and
    that the class should be serializable.

    Michael Borgwardt, Jan 21, 2004