Difficulty installing ruby gem termios

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jonathan Wallace, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. Hello,
    I've just put a fresh install of kubuntu 6.06.1i on my computer. I'm
    trying to install the ruby gem termios-0.9.4, with gem 0.9.0 and ruby
    1.8.4. I've used the following commands to no avail.
    sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies -- --build-flags
    --with-opt-dir=/usr
    sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies

    I receive the same error in my mkmf.log file every time. Here's the my
    mkmf.log file from one run:
    have_header: checking for termios.h... -------------------- no

    "gcc -E -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I/usr/include -Wall -g -O2
    -fPIC conftest.c -o conftest.i"
    checked program was:
    /* begin */
    #include <termios.h>
    /* end */

    --------------------

    I've used adept (the graphical package manager for kde) to install
    libtermios-ruby, libtermios-ruby1.8, ruby1.8, ruby1.8-dev, and
    libc6-dev. My mkmf.log shows that I'm missing the termios.h file. I
    can see that I have a termios.h file located in /usr/include though,
    from the results above, I am assuming it is not the correct one. I've
    searched google for termios.h, the package contents for ubuntu for
    termios.h
    (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/...ive&version=dapper&arch=i386&page=1&number=50)
    and I have no clue what to try next.

    Any ideas? Am I missing something simple here?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jonathan
    Jonathan Wallace, Oct 24, 2006

  2. For future reference, this is the error one gets when gcc is not
    installed. *blush*

    Jonathan Wallace, Oct 24, 2006

  3. Jonathan Wallace

    Ken Bloom Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:16:29 -0700, Jonathan Wallace wrote:

    > For future reference, this is the error one gets when gcc is not
    > installed. *blush*

    The proper solution to this problem would thus be to install the package
    "build-essential" which pulls in GCC as well as other important tools like
    make and the linker.

    --Ken Bloom

    > On Oct 23, 9:10 pm, "Jonathan Wallace" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I've just put a fresh install of kubuntu 6.06.1i on my computer. I'm
    >> trying to install the ruby gem termios-0.9.4, with gem 0.9.0 and ruby
    >> 1.8.4. I've used the following commands to no avail.
    >> sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies -- --build-flags
    >> --with-opt-dir=/usr
    >> sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies
    >>
    >> I receive the same error in my mkmf.log file every time. Here's the my
    >> mkmf.log file from one run:
    >> have_header: checking for termios.h... -------------------- no
    >>
    >> "gcc -E -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I/usr/include -Wall -g -O2
    >> -fPIC conftest.c -o conftest.i"
    >> checked program was:
    >> /* begin */
    >> #include <termios.h>
    >> /* end */
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >>
    >> I've used adept (the graphical package manager for kde) to install
    >> libtermios-ruby, libtermios-ruby1.8, ruby1.8, ruby1.8-dev, and
    >> libc6-dev. My mkmf.log shows that I'm missing the termios.h file. I
    >> can see that I have a termios.h file located in /usr/include though,
    >> from the results above, I am assuming it is not the correct one. I've
    >> searched google for termios.h, the package contents for ubuntu for
    >> termios.h
    >> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=termios.h&...)
    >> and I have no clue what to try next.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Am I missing something simple here?
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Jonathan

    http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/
    I've added a signing subkey to my GPG key. Please update your keyring.
    Ken Bloom, Oct 24, 2006