Difficulty installing ruby gem termios

Jonathan Wallace

Hello,
I've just put a fresh install of kubuntu 6.06.1i on my computer. I'm
trying to install the ruby gem termios-0.9.4, with gem 0.9.0 and ruby
1.8.4. I've used the following commands to no avail.
sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies -- --build-flags
--with-opt-dir=/usr
sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies

I receive the same error in my mkmf.log file every time. Here's the my
mkmf.log file from one run:
have_header: checking for termios.h... -------------------- no

"gcc -E -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I/usr/include -Wall -g -O2
-fPIC conftest.c -o conftest.i"
checked program was:
/* begin */
#include <termios.h>
/* end */

--------------------

I've used adept (the graphical package manager for kde) to install
libtermios-ruby, libtermios-ruby1.8, ruby1.8, ruby1.8-dev, and
libc6-dev. My mkmf.log shows that I'm missing the termios.h file. I
can see that I have a termios.h file located in /usr/include though,
from the results above, I am assuming it is not the correct one. I've
searched google for termios.h, the package contents for ubuntu for
termios.h
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/...ive&version=dapper&arch=i386&page=1&number=50)
and I have no clue what to try next.

Any ideas? Am I missing something simple here?
Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Jonathan Wallace

For future reference, this is the error one gets when gcc is not
installed. *blush*

Ken Bloom

For future reference, this is the error one gets when gcc is not
installed. *blush*

The proper solution to this problem would thus be to install the package
"build-essential" which pulls in GCC as well as other important tools like
make and the linker.

--Ken Bloom