Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation"in file called <string>

Discussion in 'Python' started by ibloom, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. ibloom

    ibloom Guest

    I've been trying for a couple days to build a program using pyObjC on
    a mac, I'm stuck on this error:

    <string>: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "setup.py", line 59, in ?
    setup(**setup_options)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    python2.4/distutils/core.py", line 149, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    python2.4/distutils/dist.py", line 946, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    python2.4/distutils/dist.py", line 966, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 342, in run
    self.initialize_plist()
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 415, in
    initialize_plist
    plist = self.get_default_plist()
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 294, in
    get_default_plist
    version = find_version(target.script)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py", line 13, in
    find_version
    ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    python2.4/compiler/transformer.py", line 48, in parseFile
    return parse(src)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    python2.4/compiler/transformer.py", line 52, in parse
    return Transformer().parsesuite(buf)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    python2.4/compiler/transformer.py", line 129, in parsesuite
    return self.transform(parser.suite(text))
    File "<string>", line 628
    else:
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    I don't even know which file has the indentation problem.

    Any thoughts.
    Ian Bloom
    ibloom, Feb 11, 2008

  2. Re: Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces inindentation" in file called <string>

    En Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:34:17 -0200, ibloom <> escribi�:

    > I've been trying for a couple days to build a program using pyObjC on
    > a mac, I'm stuck on this error:
    >
    > <string>: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "setup.py", line 59, in ?
    > setup(**setup_options)
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/distutils/core.py", line 149, in setup
    > dist.run_commands()
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/distutils/dist.py", line 946, in run_commands
    > self.run_command(cmd)
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/distutils/dist.py", line 966, in run_command
    > cmd_obj.run()
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 342, in run
    > self.initialize_plist()
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 415, in
    > initialize_plist
    > plist = self.get_default_plist()
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 294, in
    > get_default_plist
    > version = find_version(target.script)
    > File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py", line 13, in
    > find_version
    > ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)

    Put a print statement just above that line, to see which file triggers the
    error.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Feb 11, 2008

  3. ibloom

    Guest

    On Feb 11, 9:34 am, ibloom <> wrote:
    > I've been trying for a couple days to build a program using pyObjC on
    > a mac, I'm stuck on this error:
    >
    > <string>: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    >   File "setup.py", line 59, in ?
    >     setup(**setup_options)
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/distutils/core.py", line 149, in setup
    >     dist.run_commands()
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/distutils/dist.py", line 946, in run_commands
    >     self.run_command(cmd)
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/distutils/dist.py", line 966, in run_command
    >     cmd_obj.run()
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 342, in run
    >     self.initialize_plist()
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 415, in
    > initialize_plist
    >     plist = self.get_default_plist()
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/build_app.py", line 294, in
    > get_default_plist
    >     version = find_version(target.script)
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py", line 13, in
    > find_version
    >     ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/compiler/transformer.py", line 48, in parseFile
    >     return parse(src)
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/compiler/transformer.py", line 52, in parse
    >     return Transformer().parsesuite(buf)
    >   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
    > python2.4/compiler/transformer.py", line 129, in parsesuite
    >     return self.transform(parser.suite(text))
    >   File "<string>", line 628
    >     else:
    >     ^
    > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    >
    > I don't even know which file has the indentation problem.

    Maybe none of them do. An indentation error isn't necessarily
    due to indentation. I just saw one last Saturday, but I don't
    remember what caused it other than it wasn't indentation.
    Something was open that wasn't closed properly, such as
    matching () or [] or ''. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it.
    Examine the code carefully in the sections before the actual
    reported error. You may be seeing a symptom rather than the cause.

    > Any thoughts.
    > Ian Bloom
    , Feb 11, 2008
  4. ibloom

    ibloom Guest

    Re: Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces inindentation" in file called <string>

    My main problem is, I don't know where to find the file:
    File "<string>", line 628

    As in I don't know what code it is refering to by <string> ??
    It isn't code that I wrote, its something from python or pyObjC

    Ian Bloom
    ibloom, Feb 11, 2008
  5. ibloom

    Steve Holden Guest

    ibloom wrote:
    > My main problem is, I don't know where to find the file:
    > File "<string>", line 628
    >
    > As in I don't know what code it is refering to by <string> ??
    > It isn't code that I wrote, its something from python or pyObjC

    You'll typically see that in code that's being executed from a
    dynamically created string in the code, which is going to make it *very*
    difficult to debug.

    >>> exec "1/0"

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
    >>> eval('1/0')

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Feb 12, 2008
  6. Re: Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces inindentation" in file called <string>

    En Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:57:00 -0200, ibloom <> escribió:

    > My main problem is, I don't know where to find the file:
    > File "<string>", line 628
    >
    > As in I don't know what code it is refering to by <string> ??
    > It isn't code that I wrote, its something from python or pyObjC

    Mmm, didn't you get my previous post? The call is inside the py2app
    package. Quoting myself:

    >> <string>: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
    >> Traceback (most recent call last):
    >> File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    >> python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py", line 13, in
    >> find_version
    >> ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)

    > Put a print statement just above that line, to see which file triggers
    > the
    > error.

    In case it wasn't clear, modify the file
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py,
    around line 13, in the find_version function, adding this print statement:

    print 'about to compile', fn
    ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)

    The last line printed (in case there are many) should be the offending
    filename.

    Of course you don't have to keep the modified library, this is just to
    detect which file triggers the error. You should report this to the py2app
    developers as well.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Feb 12, 2008
  7. ibloom

    ibloom Guest

    Re: Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces inindentation" in file called <string>

    On Feb 11, 9:10 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <>
    wrote:
    > En Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:57:00 -0200, ibloom <> escribió:
    >
    > > My main problem is, I don't know where to find the file:
    > >   File "<string>", line 628

    > > As in I don't know what code it is refering to by <string> ??
    > > It isn't code that I wrote, its something from python or pyObjC

    > Mmm, didn't you get my previous post? The call is inside the py2app
    > package. Quoting myself:
    >
    > >> <string>: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
    > >> Traceback (most recent call last):
    > >>   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > >> python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py", line 13, in
    > >> find_version
    > >>     ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)

    > > Put a print statement just above that line, to see which file triggers
    > > the
    > > error.

    > In case it wasn't clear, modify the file
    > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packag es/py2app/py2app/util.py,
    > around line 13, in the find_version function, adding this print statement:
    >
    >      print 'about to compile', fn
    >      ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)
    >
    > The last line printed (in case there are many) should be the offending
    > filename.
    >
    > Of course you don't have to keep the modified library, this is just to
    > detect which file triggers the error. You should report this to the py2app
    > developers as well.
    >
    > --
    > Gabriel Genellina

    You are right, I didn't understand. I'll try it. Thank you.

    Ian Bloom
    ibloom, Feb 12, 2008
  8. ibloom

    ibloom Guest

    wrote:
    > En Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:57:00 -0200, ibloom <> escribió:
    >
    > > My main problem is, I don't know where to find the file:
    > >   File "<string>", line 628

    > > As in I don't know what code it is refering to by <string> ??
    > > It isn't code that I wrote, its something from python or pyObjC

    > Mmm, didn't you get my previous post? The call is inside the py2app
    > package. Quoting myself:
    >
    > >> <string>: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
    > >> Traceback (most recent call last):
    > >>   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    > >> python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py", line 13, in
    > >> find_version
    > >>     ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)

    > > Put a print statement just above that line, to see which file triggers
    > > the
    > > error.

    > In case it wasn't clear, modify the file
    > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packag es/py2app/py2app/util.py,
    > around line 13, in the find_version function, adding this print statement:
    >
    >      print 'about to compile', fn
    >      ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)
    >
    > The last line printed (in case there are many) should be the offending
    > filename.
    >
    > Of course you don't have to keep the modified library, this is just to
    > detect which file triggers the error. You should report this to the py2app
    > developers as well.
    >
    > --
    > Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel, your the master.
    Of course I didn't understand that py2app was trying to compile my own
    python source code and when I switched to Xcode as my new editor, I
    started mixing in tabs. So <string> was in fact my code. All I had to
    do was change my preferences in Xcode, to generate spaces instead of
    tabs, remove all of the offending tabs and voila. You've ended days of
    frustrations. Thank you.

    Ian Bloom
    ibloom, Feb 13, 2008
  9. ibloom

    greg Guest

    ibloom wrote:
    > Of course I didn't understand that py2app was trying to compile my own
    > python source code and when I switched to Xcode as my new editor, I
    > started mixing in tabs. So <string> was in fact my code.

    Seems like py2app could be a bit friendlier about reporting
    syntax errors in the code it's trying to compile!

    --
    Greg
    greg, Feb 13, 2008
  10. Re: Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces inindentation" in file called <string>

    En Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:57:01 -0200, ibloom <> escribi�:

    >> > Put a print statement just above that line, to see which file >

    >> triggers the error.
    >>

    > Gabriel, your the master.
    > Of course I didn't understand that py2app was trying to compile my own
    > python source code and when I switched to Xcode as my new editor, I
    > started mixing in tabs. So <string> was in fact my code. All I had to
    > do was change my preferences in Xcode, to generate spaces instead of
    > tabs, remove all of the offending tabs and voila. You've ended days of
    > frustrations. Thank you.

    Glad to be of any help. Note that all the clues were on the traceback.
    When people here insist that all error reports should come with the
    complete stack trace, it isn't because they want to be annoying, but
    because it's really useful...

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Feb 13, 2008
  11. Re: Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces inindentation" in file called <string>

    Gabriel Genellina, Feb 13, 2008
  12. Re: Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces inindentation" in file called <string>

    En Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:01:31 -0200, greg <>
    escribi�:

    > ibloom wrote:
    >> Of course I didn't understand that py2app was trying to compile my own
    >> python source code and when I switched to Xcode as my new editor, I
    >> started mixing in tabs. So <string> was in fact my code.

    > Seems like py2app could be a bit friendlier about reporting
    > syntax errors in the code it's trying to compile!

    Yes, but the standard "compiler" package (used by py2app) is somewhat
    guilty too. The parseFile function is called with a file name, but such
    info is lost and the filename isn't used in the error messages. Compare
    with the builtin "compile" function, which *does* use the supplied file
    name to report meaningful errors.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Feb 13, 2008
  13. Gabriel Genellina a écrit :
    (snip)
    > Note that all the clues were on the traceback.
    > When people here insist that all error reports should come with the
    > complete stack trace, it isn't because they want to be annoying, but
    > because it's really useful...

    +1 QOTW
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Feb 13, 2008