Digg-Like Images from Url fetcher.

GoodMan

Hello,

I've been Googling around the internet oceans in search of a piece of
code that has a similar functionality as the Digg image fetcher. I've
always wondered how this thing works exactly.

The thing is, you give it a URL. It then crawls the site for images,
and gives them to you in a nice tidy way, with a ay a radio button
next to each image. You select the one you like/want, and it discards
the rest.

I just want the image fetcher, the rest is not that difficult. Oh and
I don't need the whole code, just some general pointers to what I need
to look for exactly.

Thanks for reading this, hope this is also interesting for other
people.

Laser Lips

You need to do this with a server side language like PHP/ASP/.NET or
similar.
I wrote one in PHP.
I call this method 'Page scraping'
Basically, using the URL you are given, you load the contents of the
URL (the HTML) into a variable and search through the variable for
image tags. You have to do some string manipulation to get each image
tag out successfully, and then display them at the end by printing out
each image.

I'm not sure you can do this solely with JavaScript but I may be
wrong.
Graham

GoodMan

Thanks for your reply.

I posted this in the javascript group because I didn't know exactly
how it works. A php script is probably the best way.

Not to bother you much, if what you wrote is open-source could I have
a link where to get it. If not, could you point me to a place where
you found some info to write something like that.

Thanks again.