Dillema: Editable GridView rows

David C

These are the options I have explored

A) CRUD gridview: It is too cumbersome to click edit, fill out the
controls, and then click the update button for each row, not to
mention having to wait for a postback for each button click.

B) Placing server controls such as textbox, checkbox in ItemTemplate
bloats the ViewState exponentially which is also unacceptable.

C) <a href="http://forums.asp.net/p/994393/1325476.aspx">This thread</
a> here discusses incoporating AJAX PopupControl in Gridview. This
sounds like a great idea, but the code to make it work is for Atlas.

D) ModalPopUp: That it does not align itself with the row being
edited makes it unacceptable. Also, I don't know how to make it work
without triggering a postback when the modal is closed, and refresh
the gridview.

I am in the process of phasing out a thirdparty control grid from my
project. It is being phased out for typical reasons associated with
third party controls, but this particular one offers a very slick
inline editing capability.

I have a sample one set up <a href="http://test.petrotools.com/
default.aspx">here</a> on my server. Please go there, and double
click on any of the cells and watch what happens. It is similar to
Option C above, but as I said, the solution spelled out in the thread
is outdated, and I am not familar with javascript to wade through and
make it work.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I can't be the only person
grappling with this.