DIME attachments break double-byte characters using WSE 1.0 SP1

Vaylor Trucks

Using the .NET framework and WSE 1.0 SP1, I have built a web service
which receives data from a web service client and saves it to disk in a
text file, and it works with no problem. However, when I modify the web
service to accept an attachment and save it to disk as well (resulting
in 2 files saved - txt file and attachment) then any special characters
in the text file (such as the N~ combination used in Spanish) appear as
2 question marks "??".

I have traced the HTTP traffic and see no difference in the datastream
between the DIME and non-DIME versions of the web service call, with the
obvious exception of the data added by the attachment.

Is this fixed with WSE 2.0? If not, any clue as to why this is
happening? I can provide source if necessary.

Dan Rogers

Hi Vaylor,

How are you creating the text file? It sounds like an encoding problem
that would happen if you saved as ASCII rather than using a unicode or
UTF-8 encoding. If the XML coming in has one encoding and you write it out
without accounting for an encoding difference, then the observed behaviors
are expectable.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation