Dipping my toes in cross-platform GUI

Discussion in 'C++' started by Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. I don't know the first thing about cross-platform GUI programming, so
    I'd like to ask a few quick questions.

    Which library is best for someone who appreciates portable programming
    and correct efficient code, and who'd like the library to fit well with the
    C++ Standard Library? Also I'd like the library to work on as many
    platforms as possible (Windows, Linux, Mac, and even the new game consoles
    such as Playstation 3 and XBox 360 if possible).

    I've heard of wxWidgets and Qt, but I haven't a clue what they're like.
    I've seen the cross-platform media player, VLAN; it uses wxWidgets and it
    looks good. What GUI libraries are all the well-known programs using, such
    as Mozilla, Xilinx?

    Is there any cross-platform networking library that stands head and
    shoulders above the rest?

    --
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
     
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jan 8, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:
    > I don't know the first thing about cross-platform GUI programming,
    > so I'd like to ask a few quick questions.
    >
    > Which library is best for someone who appreciates portable
    > programming and correct efficient code, and who'd like the library to
    > fit well with the C++ Standard Library? Also I'd like the library to
    > work on as many platforms as possible (Windows, Linux, Mac, and even
    > the new game consoles such as Playstation 3 and XBox 360 if possible).
    >
    > I've heard of wxWidgets and Qt, but I haven't a clue what they're
    > like. I've seen the cross-platform media player, VLAN; it uses
    > wxWidgets and it looks good. What GUI libraries are all the
    > well-known programs using, such as Mozilla, Xilinx?
    >
    > Is there any cross-platform networking library that stands head and
    > shoulders above the rest?


    I'll tell you my experience. Take it at its face value.

    Any library worth the plastic in the CD it is shipped on is far more
    complex than it appears on the surface (even after reading the manual).
    To obtain satisfactory results from it would require becoming more or
    less proficient if not fluent with it. To achieve desired fluency
    with the library you have to spend countless hours designing your
    program with and around the concepts implemented in that library. Do
    not kid yourself that all libraries that serve similar purpose are
    the same. They are close, but the common denominator is the tip of
    the iceberg. The differences is what lies beneath. And those are
    what will give you trouble and what needs to be comprehended in at
    least some detail if you want to learn and use the library properly.

    Now, you have your own task at hand -- the application in the problem
    domain you're good at. Be it quantum physics or sales order tracking,
    you're out to solve that problem, to improve the lives of physicists,
    salespeople, accountants, etc. *That* is what you're going to spend
    the overwhelming majority of your designing/coding time. Even if it
    comes natural to you, you will still need to test, and debug, and to
    test again, and document, and plan, and ... You get the picture.

    Given that you have your own problem to solve, you simply have NO TIME
    to compare several libraries. That's why you've come to Usenet with
    your question: what libraries are out there, what's their advantages,
    what to look out for, etc. You don't want to try to make the decision
    without weighing all the pro and contra. That's wise.

    It seems, however, that you think that somebody has done what you do
    not have time for, i.e. compared several libraries to arrive at the
    conclusion to use a particular one. Nope. Most of us, just like you,
    do not have time to compare several of libraries based on *our own*
    experience learning and using them. Rarely do we have experience of
    programming at the level required for implementing such libraries for
    more than one operating system.

    Whatever you hope to learn about those libraries is already available
    on each libraries' mailing list (trust me, every decent library has
    one, and if it doesn't have it, it's not worth spending time reading
    about anyway).

    Here is what I've seen happen: a young guy without any experience
    using any of the popular {UI|Network|WWW|Hardware|...} libraries
    comes to a shop where one of them is in use. How did it get chosen?
    Somebody might or might not remember. Maybe the guy who convinced
    the manager to start using this particular library has already
    moved on to new job, who knows... Doesn't really matter. There
    are resident experts, from whom the young guy learns the tips and
    tricks, the idioms and the quirks. He becomes proficient in using
    the library. Then he matures and finds himself wanting to advance
    his career. Elsewhere. Where would he look? If he's young
    enough, energetic, he might look for something totally different.
    He might look for a shop that uses a different library altogether.
    He doesn't mind learning another one. Or, maybe he prefers to
    keep working in the same problem domain and the other stuff just
    doesn't matter much to him.

    Will he learn the second library to be able to compare them? Nope.
    He'll learn the new library and the first one will fade in his
    memory. He could barely remember the names of some classes from
    the old library after a couple of years of using the new one. What
    is worse, some subtle differences are so subtle (but make sense now
    that he's using the library in which they dominate), they make him
    think that the other one was organised the same way, thus creating
    the illusion that all of them are the same, really. No, really,
    they are. Aren't they?...

    Here is the advice part of the story. Pick one and learn it. Use
    it to the best of your ability; they are all equally capable when
    employed properly. If you have doubts about its abilities, you
    will have to create an abstraction layer in your own application
    to be able to switch to a different library should there be a need
    to. That's about twice (or thrice) the work than simply use the
    same library without even thinking of switching later. Decide for
    yourself, do you have twice or thrice the resources to plan for
    a possible switch in the future? Or perhaps it doesn't matter at
    all *what* library to use, what matters is that you're using one,
    and it provides enough abstraction for your code to carry you over
    the troubles of porting your {UI|Network|etc.} functionality to
    the next platform.

    Of course, if you already know *all* requirements the library has
    to meet, then pose the question "does it do <blah>?" to the very
    makers of each library to see if it will work for you. If that's
    the case, we really can't help you, but folks in the mailing list
    (which I may have already mentioned) could.

    Good luck!

    V
    --
    Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
    I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask
     
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 8, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    Lionel B Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:45:17 -0500, Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:
    >> I don't know the first thing about cross-platform GUI programming,
    >> so I'd like to ask a few quick questions.
    >>
    >> Which library is best for someone who appreciates portable
    >> programming and correct efficient code, and who'd like the library to
    >> fit well with the C++ Standard Library? Also I'd like the library to
    >> work on as many platforms as possible (Windows, Linux, Mac, and even
    >> the new game consoles such as Playstation 3 and XBox 360 if possible).
    >>
    >> I've heard of wxWidgets and Qt, but I haven't a clue what they're
    >> like. I've seen the cross-platform media player, VLAN; it uses
    >> wxWidgets and it looks good. What GUI libraries are all the well-known
    >> programs using, such as Mozilla, Xilinx?
    >>
    >> Is there any cross-platform networking library that stands head and
    >> shoulders above the rest?

    >
    > I'll tell you my experience. Take it at its face value.


    [...]

    Bravo Victor!

    I hereby declare any further discussion on this topic, including future
    threads, closed.

    --
    Lionel B
     
    Lionel B, Jan 8, 2008
    #3
  4. "Lionel B" <> wrote in message
    news:h6Cgj.34522$...
    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:45:17 -0500, Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >
    >> Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:
    >>> I don't know the first thing about cross-platform GUI programming,
    >>> so I'd like to ask a few quick questions.
    >>>
    >>> Which library is best for someone who appreciates portable
    >>> programming and correct efficient code, and who'd like the library to
    >>> fit well with the C++ Standard Library? Also I'd like the library to
    >>> work on as many platforms as possible (Windows, Linux, Mac, and even
    >>> the new game consoles such as Playstation 3 and XBox 360 if possible).
    >>>
    >>> I've heard of wxWidgets and Qt, but I haven't a clue what they're
    >>> like. I've seen the cross-platform media player, VLAN; it uses
    >>> wxWidgets and it looks good. What GUI libraries are all the well-known
    >>> programs using, such as Mozilla, Xilinx?
    >>>
    >>> Is there any cross-platform networking library that stands head and
    >>> shoulders above the rest?

    >>
    >> I'll tell you my experience. Take it at its face value.

    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Bravo Victor!
    >
    > I hereby declare any further discussion on this topic, including future
    > threads, closed.


    :^)
     
    Chris Thomasson, Jan 8, 2008
    #4
  5. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    James Kanze Guest

    On Jan 8, 3:45 am, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:

    Globally, very well said, and I agree. There is one point,
    however:

    [...]
    > Here is the advice part of the story. Pick one and learn it.
    > Use it to the best of your ability; they are all equally
    > capable when employed properly.


    There are a few particular points which might be relevant, and
    that you can learn from a short perusal of the documentation:

    -- Qt requires a special pre-processor; you don't write C++,
    but something close to C++, which is then pre-processed to
    generate the C++. Personally, I find that unacceptable.

    -- From what little I've seen of it, wxWidgets seems to take
    over main. I don't like that either (but that may be just
    one mode of using it---as I said, I've not really learned
    it.

    From discussion, those two are by far the most widely used (and
    being widely used is an advantage in itself). If I needed to do
    make a choice rapidly, today, I'd go to the wxWidgets mailing
    list, and ask about using it with my own main (in the way I
    think a GUI library should be used). I'd also ask about other
    things I'm not 100% sure of: support for the standard types, for
    example. (wxWidgets pre-dates the ISO standard, and earlier
    versions did not use std::string.) Depending on the answers,
    I'd either use wxWidgets, or use javax.swing, over Corba:).

    [...]
    > Of course, if you already know *all* requirements the library
    > has to meet, then pose the question "does it do <blah>?" to
    > the very makers of each library to see if it will work for
    > you. If that's the case, we really can't help you, but folks
    > in the mailing list (which I may have already mentioned)
    > could.


    From a pratical point of view, I think you're right. The only
    people who know wxWidgets well enough to give detailed answers
    are in the wxWidgets mailing list, and not here. The same thing
    holds for all of the other libraries.

    On the other hand, it's probably worth asking here for
    more general recommendations---if, say, all you're really
    interested in is usability, and knowing how wide spread the use
    is. (A library that is only used in one or two places is likely
    to disappear. A library as widely used as wxWidgets or Qt won't
    disappear.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    Conseils en informatique orientée objet/
    Beratung in objektorientierter Datenverarbeitung
    9 place Sémard, 78210 St.-Cyr-l'École, France, +33 (0)1 30 23 00 34
     
    James Kanze, Jan 8, 2008
    #5
  6. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    Joe Greer Guest

    "Tomás Ó hÉilidhe" <> wrote in
    news:Xns9A1F6027C028toelavabitcom@194.125.133.14:

    >
    > I don't know the first thing about cross-platform GUI programming,
    > so
    > I'd like to ask a few quick questions.
    >
    > Which library is best for someone who appreciates portable
    > programming
    > and correct efficient code, and who'd like the library to fit well
    > with the C++ Standard Library? Also I'd like the library to work on as
    > many platforms as possible (Windows, Linux, Mac, and even the new game
    > consoles such as Playstation 3 and XBox 360 if possible).
    >
    > I've heard of wxWidgets and Qt, but I haven't a clue what they're
    > like.
    > I've seen the cross-platform media player, VLAN; it uses wxWidgets and
    > it looks good. What GUI libraries are all the well-known programs
    > using, such as Mozilla, Xilinx?
    >
    > Is there any cross-platform networking library that stands head
    > and
    > shoulders above the rest?
    >


    Victor answered quite well the main thrust of your question, so I
    thought I would throw in a few thoughts about portable gui-s in general.
    Have you ever noticed that you can generally pick out a java app from a
    mile away? The problem is that while they have a wonderful api that is
    portable everywhere a compatible JVM exists, they all have a certain
    look and feel and that look and feel doesn't quite fit anywhere.

    Each of the OS's you mention have certain expectations for the look and
    feel of a program. Everything from the location of menu items to how
    you browse for files is generally specified in the OS's look and feel
    guide. Applications that are targeted toward non-computer people
    generally follow the OS's guide unless they have a good reason to
    deviate from it.

    The mentioned GUI libraries do a wonderful job of making portable
    widgets, but are generally less fantastic about whether the actual look
    and feel matches the platform the user is running. For certain things,
    this is ok, but for others this can be a real pain in the backside of
    your users.

    So, the advice is that if you really want to do your portability right,
    you will strive to separate your business logic from your GUI and
    implement things in your GUI such that the look and feel matches user
    expectations. Of course, by the time you do this the portable GUI
    libraries make less difference. If your application doesn't really have
    much of a user interface, then you might get away without this
    separation, but at least think about it.

    joe
     
    Joe Greer, Jan 8, 2008
    #6
  7. "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in comp.lang.c++:

    > Here is the advice part of the story. Pick one and learn it. Use
    > it to the best of your ability; they are all equally capable when
    > employed properly.



    I read what your wrote Victor, and it was helpful. Not to sound naive
    though... but could someone just throw a library name at me? I don't need a
    review of the library, just even "You'll be on the right track if you go
    with X". Right now I'm thinking of going with wxWidgets.

    --
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
     
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jan 8, 2008
    #7
  8. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:
    > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in comp.lang.c++:
    >
    >> Here is the advice part of the story. Pick one and learn it. Use
    >> it to the best of your ability; they are all equally capable when
    >> employed properly.

    >
    >
    > I read what your wrote Victor, and it was helpful. Not to sound
    > naive though... but could someone just throw a library name at me? I
    > don't need a review of the library, just even "You'll be on the right
    > track if you go with X". Right now I'm thinking of going with
    > wxWidgets.


    James mentioned Qt and wxWidgets. Go to their sites and look at
    their capabilities. Perhaps they even list some comparative
    advantages of one over the other. I've used Qt, I've not used
    wxWidgets. If I were to create another GUI app to target more
    than one platform, that's what I'd use. But it's not because Qt
    is objectively better, it's because I have some experience with
    Qt and it *did the job*. I simply don't want to waste time to
    learn another library that does pretty much the same thing.

    Again, I am not speaking in favor of one or the other; you've asked
    to throw a name at you, so here.

    V
    --
    Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
    I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask
     
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 8, 2008
    #8
  9. "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in comp.lang.c++:

    > James mentioned Qt and wxWidgets. Go to their sites and look at
    > their capabilities.



    I started using wxWidgets about an hour ago and I'm already making great
    progress... the interface couldn't be easier! Plus I love its class
    structure, makes it very easy to do stuff :-D

    --
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
     
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jan 8, 2008
    #9
  10. On 2008-01-08 14:39, Joe Greer wrote:
    > "Tom疽 モ hノilidhe" <> wrote in
    > news:Xns9A1F6027C028toelavabitcom@194.125.133.14:
    >
    >>
    >> I don't know the first thing about cross-platform GUI programming,
    >> so
    >> I'd like to ask a few quick questions.
    >>
    >> Which library is best for someone who appreciates portable
    >> programming
    >> and correct efficient code, and who'd like the library to fit well
    >> with the C++ Standard Library? Also I'd like the library to work on as
    >> many platforms as possible (Windows, Linux, Mac, and even the new game
    >> consoles such as Playstation 3 and XBox 360 if possible).
    >>
    >> I've heard of wxWidgets and Qt, but I haven't a clue what they're
    >> like.
    >> I've seen the cross-platform media player, VLAN; it uses wxWidgets and
    >> it looks good. What GUI libraries are all the well-known programs
    >> using, such as Mozilla, Xilinx?
    >>
    >> Is there any cross-platform networking library that stands head
    >> and
    >> shoulders above the rest?
    >>

    >
    > Victor answered quite well the main thrust of your question, so I
    > thought I would throw in a few thoughts about portable gui-s in general.
    > Have you ever noticed that you can generally pick out a java app from a
    > mile away? The problem is that while they have a wonderful api that is
    > portable everywhere a compatible JVM exists, they all have a certain
    > look and feel and that look and feel doesn't quite fit anywhere.
    >
    > Each of the OS's you mention have certain expectations for the look and
    > feel of a program. Everything from the location of menu items to how
    > you browse for files is generally specified in the OS's look and feel
    > guide. Applications that are targeted toward non-computer people
    > generally follow the OS's guide unless they have a good reason to
    > deviate from it.
    >
    > The mentioned GUI libraries do a wonderful job of making portable
    > widgets, but are generally less fantastic about whether the actual look
    > and feel matches the platform the user is running. For certain things,
    > this is ok, but for others this can be a real pain in the backside of
    > your users.


    I would like to disagree, at least with Qt you can make applications
    that looks and feels like native applications (at least for Unix and
    Windows, I have never targeted Mac). The problem is that since the look
    and feel differs between different systems there are some occasions
    where it is not enough to have the right look and feel on the individual
    widgets, it is a question about overall layout. In these cases you have
    to choose one system and let the others be what they become since the
    alternative is to have different layouts for each system (which in most
    cases is overkill).

    --
    Erik Wikström
     
    Erik Wikström, Jan 8, 2008
    #10
  11. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    Joe Greer Guest

    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?= <> wrote in
    news:ysPgj.2542$:

    >>
    >> Victor answered quite well the main thrust of your question, so I
    >> thought I would throw in a few thoughts about portable gui-s in
    >> general. Have you ever noticed that you can generally pick out a
    >> java app from a mile away? The problem is that while they have a
    >> wonderful api that is portable everywhere a compatible JVM exists,
    >> they all have a certain look and feel and that look and feel doesn't
    >> quite fit anywhere.
    >>
    >> Each of the OS's you mention have certain expectations for the look
    >> and feel of a program. Everything from the location of menu items to
    >> how you browse for files is generally specified in the OS's look and
    >> feel guide. Applications that are targeted toward non-computer
    >> people generally follow the OS's guide unless they have a good reason
    >> to deviate from it.
    >>
    >> The mentioned GUI libraries do a wonderful job of making portable
    >> widgets, but are generally less fantastic about whether the actual
    >> look and feel matches the platform the user is running. For certain
    >> things, this is ok, but for others this can be a real pain in the
    >> backside of your users.

    >
    > I would like to disagree, at least with Qt you can make applications
    > that looks and feels like native applications (at least for Unix and
    > Windows, I have never targeted Mac). The problem is that since the
    > look and feel differs between different systems there are some
    > occasions where it is not enough to have the right look and feel on
    > the individual widgets, it is a question about overall layout. In
    > these cases you have to choose one system and let the others be what
    > they become since the alternative is to have different layouts for
    > each system (which in most cases is overkill).
    >


    You disagree and yet your arguments line up with what I said. I am confused.
    To what exactly are you disagreeing?

    joe
     
    Joe Greer, Jan 8, 2008
    #11
  12. On 2008-01-08 20:55, Joe Greer wrote:
    > =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?= <> wrote in
    > news:ysPgj.2542$:
    >
    >>>
    >>> Victor answered quite well the main thrust of your question, so I
    >>> thought I would throw in a few thoughts about portable gui-s in
    >>> general. Have you ever noticed that you can generally pick out a
    >>> java app from a mile away? The problem is that while they have a
    >>> wonderful api that is portable everywhere a compatible JVM exists,
    >>> they all have a certain look and feel and that look and feel doesn't
    >>> quite fit anywhere.
    >>>
    >>> Each of the OS's you mention have certain expectations for the look
    >>> and feel of a program. Everything from the location of menu items to
    >>> how you browse for files is generally specified in the OS's look and
    >>> feel guide. Applications that are targeted toward non-computer
    >>> people generally follow the OS's guide unless they have a good reason
    >>> to deviate from it.
    >>>
    >>> The mentioned GUI libraries do a wonderful job of making portable
    >>> widgets, but are generally less fantastic about whether the actual
    >>> look and feel matches the platform the user is running. For certain
    >>> things, this is ok, but for others this can be a real pain in the
    >>> backside of your users.

    >>
    >> I would like to disagree, at least with Qt you can make applications
    >> that looks and feels like native applications (at least for Unix and
    >> Windows, I have never targeted Mac). The problem is that since the
    >> look and feel differs between different systems there are some
    >> occasions where it is not enough to have the right look and feel on
    >> the individual widgets, it is a question about overall layout. In
    >> these cases you have to choose one system and let the others be what
    >> they become since the alternative is to have different layouts for
    >> each system (which in most cases is overkill).
    >>

    >
    > You disagree and yet your arguments line up with what I said. I am confused.
    > To what exactly are you disagreeing?


    My point was that they can match the look and feel of a platform, but
    seldom more than one. It might have been what you were saying but the
    way I read your post you were saying that they can not get the look and
    feel right on any platform.

    --
    Erik Wikström
     
    Erik Wikström, Jan 8, 2008
    #12
  13. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    Joe Greer Guest

    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?= <> wrote in
    news:91Rgj.2545$:

    >
    > My point was that they can match the look and feel of a platform, but
    > seldom more than one. It might have been what you were saying but the
    > way I read your post you were saying that they can not get the look
    > and feel right on any platform.
    >


    Ahhhh. No, I wasn't trying to say that. What I was trying to say is that it is hard to get
    the look and feel right on every platform. Usually the program looks good on the platform
    it is developed on, and just a little out of place everywhere else.


    joe
     
    Joe Greer, Jan 9, 2008
    #13
  14. Joe Greer wrote:
    > =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?= <> wrote in
    > news:91Rgj.2545$:
    >
    >>
    >> My point was that they can match the look and feel of a platform, but
    >> seldom more than one. It might have been what you were saying but the
    >> way I read your post you were saying that they can not get the look
    >> and feel right on any platform.
    >>

    >
    > Ahhhh. No, I wasn't trying to say that. What I was trying to say is
    > that it is hard to get the look and feel right on every platform.
    > Usually the program looks good on the platform it is developed on,
    > and just a little out of place everywhere else.


    I think you hit very close to the bullseye. IME, the program looks
    good on the platform where the portable GUI library originated.

    V
    --
    Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
    I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask
     
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 9, 2008
    #14
  15. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    suresh Guest

    On Jan 8, 5:35 am, "Tomás Ó hÉilidhe" <> wrote:
    > I don't know the first thing about cross-platform GUI programming, so
    > I'd like to ask a few quick questions.
    >
    > Which library is best for someone who appreciates portable programming
    > and correct efficient code, and who'd like the library to fit well with the
    > C++ Standard Library? Also I'd like the library to work on as many
    > platforms as possible (Windows, Linux, Mac, and even the new game consoles
    > such as Playstation 3 and XBox 360 if possible).
    >
    > I've heard of wxWidgets and Qt, but I haven't a clue what they're like..
    > I've seen the cross-platform media player, VLAN; it uses wxWidgets and it
    > looks good. What GUI libraries are all the well-known programs using, such
    > as Mozilla, Xilinx?
    >
    > Is there any cross-platform networking library that stands head and
    > shoulders above the rest?
    >
    > --
    > Tomás Ó hÉilidhe


    Why not Gtkmm (site: http://www.gtkmm.org/ a C++ wrapper over GTK)? It
    is purely an GUI library - nothing more, nothing less. Whereas
    wxWidgets and Qt are not JUST gui libraries. They have xml parsing
    code (it is very basic with SAX and DOM interfaces don't support
    Schemas or XSLT - hence I recommend to use Xerces or libxml2 for your
    xml code instead of Qt's xml library), networking api, database api
    (for Qt) and even Vectors, Lists, Maps their own String classes (like
    QString in Qt). Why do you as a these with your gui library. There are
    excellent Boost libraries (or open source libraries) to do most of
    these in a very better way. No pointing in learning these again. If
    you are only interested in GUI application, Gtkmm is a clean api. It
    works fine on Windows and excellent on Linux (and UNIX systems like
    Solaris, FreeBSD) - I am not sure how it look on Mac.
    Glade library (http://glade.gnome.org/) can even make things better.
    It generates Glade XML which can be used in C, C++, Python or even in
    Java (From their site: By using libglade, Glade XML files can be used
    in numerous programming languages including C, C++, Java, Perl,
    Python, C#, Pike, Ruby, Haskell, Objective Caml and Scheme. Adding
    support for other languages is easy too.), making Gtk not only a cross-
    platform UI library but even language independent.
    Tomorrow if you want to migrate your C++ project to Java (or Python),
    no need to do anything with your Glade XML UI - it is already
    portable.

    I recommend to have a look at Gtkmm and Glade.
     
    suresh, Jan 15, 2008
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. demibee
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    369
    demibee
    Dec 26, 2003
  2. Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,856
    Pelle Beckman
    Apr 17, 2005
  3. Chris Angelico
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    213
    Wolfgang Keller
    Jun 14, 2012
  4. Dietmar Schwertberger
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    305
  5. Dietmar Schwertberger
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    349
Loading...

Share This Page