Direct file download

raymond_b_jimenez

I need to download a file from an Intranet web site and feed it into a
program on the PC where the browser is running. Browser is Internet
Explorer. Both Javascript and VBscript are options.
Which would be my best options? Examples would be welcomed!
rj

David Mark

I need to download a file from an Intranet web site and feed it into a
program on the PC where the browser is running. Browser is Internet

That's one of the things that browsers do.
Explorer. Both Javascript and VBscript are options.

IE can do it as it is a browser. Script is not required.
Which would be my best options? Examples would be welcomed!
rj

Push out a blob of registry entries to associate the file type with
the program, map the appropriate MIME type to the file type, adjust
security settings, etc. These are tasks for your Intranet
administrator.

Tom Lavedas

I need to download a file from an Intranet web site and feed it into a
program on the PC where the browser is running. Browser is Internet
Explorer. Both Javascript and VBscript are options.
Which would be my best options? Examples would be welcomed!
rj

Maybe this will help (doesn't need browser):

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript/msg/a920d6c8e247f1fa

Once the file is available on the local machine, use the Wscript.Shell
in your script to start the application referencing the local file ...

sDownLoadedFile = "d:\somewhere\filename
with CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
.Run "d:\location\your_application.exe " & sDownLoadedFile , 0, True
end

Tom Lavedas
===========
http://members.cox.net/tglbatch/wsh/

raymond_b_jimenez

Thanks Tom. I had seen the code, I tested it again, but it doesn't
work. It won't execute
With CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
Seems like the example is server side code, but I need it to run on
the client. Can you confirm the code sample can be executed in
VBScript on the client browser?
rj

raymond_b_jimenez

Thanks David,
The idea is that the user only clicks once and generates the whole
process. I cannot associate the file type because they are doc files,
and they have to be openable by Word in Windows. The idea is to pass
them through another application. My main problem is downloading the
file to a special directory (temp directory) without the user having
to select it.
rj

Tom Lavedas

Thanks Tom. I had seen the code, I tested it again, but it doesn't
work. It won't execute
    With CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
Seems like the example is server side code, but I need it to run on
the client. Can you confirm the code sample can be executed in
VBScript on the client browser?
rj

I didn't understand you original post to mean it was for client side
script. None of the ActiveX controls invoked in my examples will work
in client side scripting without significant security intervention/
risk. In fact, executing an application on a user's machine is
strictly verboten in an Inter/Intranet environment.

The only way I know to come close is to get the client to download an
HTA (Hypertext Application) and then use it to access the file and run
the application. In its simplest incarnation, an HTA is an HTML with
its extension changed to .hta. When run by the user on his local
machine, it can access all of the IE controls, but the security
environment is far less stringent. It can run ActiveX controls, such
as the MSXML, ADODB and Wscript Shell.

Tom Lavedas
===========
http://members.cox.net/tglbatch/wsh/

David Mark

Thanks David,
The idea is that the user only clicks once and generates the whole
process. I cannot associate the file type because they are doc files,
and they have to be openable by Word in Windows. The idea is to pass
them through another application. My main problem is downloading the
file to a special directory (temp directory) without the user having
to select it.

The browser does that for you. Give the ones on the server a
different extension. Your client side program can rename them to
DOC's when it is done processing them. Then the users can open them
in Word.