Directing Domains

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Andrew Bonney \(abweb\), Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    I have never used ASP in my life so I NEED HELP!!!

    I have heard it is possible to create an asp script that when someone
    connects to a web server from the a domain (say www.mydomain.com), the asp
    script reads the domain/subdomain in the address bar and the locates the
    correct folder for that domain name (e.g. the folder may be
    C:\websites\mydomain) and forwards the user to that folder (another example:
    http://test.mydomain.com would go to a folder like
    C:\websites\mydomain\test)

    Any ideas anyone?

    Thanks,
    Andrew Bonney (abweb)

    www.andrewbonney.com

    Tel: 01943 872966
    Fax: 08701 309329

    abweb is a registered Microsoft partner

    This e-mail was scanned with Norton AntiVirus 2004 software for viruses and
    worms prior to the message being sent. If you received this e-mail in error,
    please reply to abweb to explain the problem. Please do not read the e-mail
    as it may contain personal information.
    Andrew Bonney \(abweb\), Nov 16, 2004

  2. Andew, I answered this question in the
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols newsgroup. If you
    are going to crosspost, please do so property, see:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why

    Anywho, here is my answer (copied from the other newsgroup):

    Andrew, I talk about using ASP/ASP.NET to host multiple domains using
    the first technique you mentioned at this blog entry:
    http://scottonwriting.net/sowblog/posts/1764.aspx

    hth

    --

    Scott Mitchell