Directing Domains

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andrew Bonney \(abweb\), Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    I have never used ASP in my life so I NEED HELP!!!

    I have heard it is possible to create an asp script that when someone
    connects to a web server from the a domain (say www.mydomain.com), the asp
    script reads the domain/subdomain in the address bar and the locates the
    correct folder for that domain name (e.g. the folder may be
    C:\websites\mydomain) and forwards the user to that folder (another example:
    http://test.mydomain.com would go to a folder like
    C:\websites\mydomain\test)

    Any ideas anyone?

    Thanks,
    Andrew Bonney (abweb)

    www.andrewbonney.com

    Tel: 01943 872966
    Fax: 08701 309329

    abweb is a registered Microsoft partner

    This e-mail was scanned with Norton AntiVirus 2004 software for viruses and
    worms prior to the message being sent. If you received this e-mail in error,
    please reply to abweb to explain the problem. Please do not read the e-mail
    as it may contain personal information.
    Andrew Bonney \(abweb\), Nov 16, 2004

  2. You're in luck, it's not ASP at all. :)

    You'll want to set up a multihomed IIS server. Search google for "multihomed
    IIS" or "host headers IIS", here are some I found:
    http://www.iisanswers.com/Top10FAQ/t10-hostheaders.htm
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/7176

    It's very easy to do: create multiple "webs" inside of IIS, point each web
    to a different home directory (e.g. c:\websites\mydomain\test), & configure
    each web to use host headers so that depending on the domain used, users are
    sent to different webs. Good luck!

    --
    Ben Strackany
    www.developmentnow.com

    Ben Strackany, Nov 16, 2004

  3. bit of a problem, i did this in iis ok, but i run windows xp so i am limited
    to 1 website and 10 simultaneous users, so i am now using another web server
    program called xitami, and therefore I could do with some sort of script
    unless someone has another solution that won't cost anything.

    Andrew Bonney \(abweb\), Nov 16, 2004