directly accessing the aspnet_* tables

Larry Bud

Is it bad practice to access these tables? I'd like to add a
"lastname" and "firstname" to the users table, and just use SQL to
access them.

Is there an issue in doing this, or in using the .NET create
application_id in these tables?

What's the alternative? (we're still not on Active directory).

sloan

Stop!!

Appendix 2: Migrating Code that works with the ASP.NET 2.0 Profile Object
http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/migration2/migration2.aspx

Either go with Profile properties or go to your own custom membership
provider.

Do not hack up the tables.

If you want to implement a customer membership provider, and use the tables
as a start, then I guess you can do that.

But don't do a hackjob.

The url above shows how to add additional properties if needed.