Directly printing of PDF

murmurrer

I found a commercial tool on http://www.qoppa.com/faq/jprfaq.html to
directly print a PDF without
user dialog. I want to do use this in an applet.

Their licence to use it in an applet is 1200 usd.

Anyone know an alternative to directly print a PDF without user dialog?

Andrew Thompson

I found a commercial tool on http://www.qoppa.com/faq/jprfaq.html to
directly print a PDF without
user dialog.

From an applet?
..I want to do use this in an applet.

An applet would need to be signed, and trusted
by the end user, before it could print. Usually that
permission (from the end user) is sought using
a dialog of the general form "Do you allow..?".
Their licence to use it in an applet is 1200 usd.

Do they claim it works from the applet,
without any user dialogs?
Anyone know an alternative to directly print a PDF without user dialog?

No, and I doubt their applet can do it, either.
(Unless they first ask you run some sort of
'installer' that sets a permission for that applet.)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

murmurrer

From an applet?

An applet would need to be signed, and trusted
by the end user, before it could print. Usually that
permission (from the end user) is sought using
a dialog of the general form "Do you allow..?".

Do they claim it works from the applet,
without any user dialogs?

It works. I tested it.

murmurrer

From an applet?

An applet would need to be signed, and trusted
by the end user, before it could print. Usually that
permission (from the end user) is sought using
a dialog of the general form "Do you allow..?".

Do they claim it works from the applet,
without any user dialogs?

It works. I tested it.

Andrew Thompson

(print PDF - no dialogs)

)>> permission (from the end user) is sought using
It works.

What, this page?
..I tested it.

I tested it too, and got a big *dialog* asking..
"The application's digital signature cannot be verified.
Do you want to run the application?"
..so of course I said 'no'.

I did not get any printout. :-(

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

murmurrer

(print PDF - no dialogs)

)>> permission (from the end user) is sought using

What, this page?

I tested it too, and got a big *dialog* asking..
"The application's digital signature cannot be verified.
Do you want to run the application?"
.so of course I said 'no'.

I did not get any printout. :-(

The problem is not in the signing or accepting the applet by a user.
Users of my application know they have to grant my applet.

Andrew Thompson

The problem is not in the signing or accepting the applet by a user.

Ah. You mean the applet has already gone through the
'full trust' process, no worries..
Users of my application know they have to grant my applet.

In that case, this search might help..
<http://www.google.com/search?q=pdf+print+java>
the first (non-sponsored) link boasts in the title..
"100% java pdf tool to print pdf, view pdf,
*silent* print pdf, print ..."

Seems there are a few tools to choose from, and
they should all work just fine in a fully trusted applet.

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
java print pdf API

There is an open source PDF Renderer available.
venkatsadasivam.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/java-print-pdf/