    Write in peace for peace
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    [it], [de], [en], [sv], [...]

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message
    > Someone (Tony Inkster?) might have suggested in the past that I either
    > would
    > divide the contents of my site and put it ín different sites or I would
    > classifly it using several subdirectories (subpaths?)
    > The latter is what I am trying to do at the moment.
    > Here is an example.
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/damsandaler-italien.php
    >
    > Skor= shoes
    > Damskor= lady´s shoes
    > Damsandaler=lady´s sandals.
    >
    > Was that what you meant?
    > --
    > Write in peace for peace
    > Luigi Donatello Asero
    > [it], [de], [en], [sv], [...]

    I can't speak on behalf of Toby, but yes, I'm sure the idea is similar to
    what he meant. Dividing portions of your website up by placing them in
    different sub directories is one good way of logically organising your site.

    Whether going to the extent of having a sub directory for each of shoes,
    lady's shoes and lady's sandals is your call. If you only have a few lady's
    sandals then I'd lump them up into lady's shoes, and if you only have a
    handful of mens and ladies shoes then I'd lump them up into shoes. However,
    how you divide it up is your call, but for your own benefit keep it
    logical - the hierarchy you have is logical but I'd advise against creating
    sub-directories unless there is a real benefit, after all you can always add
    further directories later.

    A couple of pieces of advice:

    1. Don't let people view the contents of your folders, because it looks
    unprofessional. If I go to
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/ then I get a directory
    listing (okay, I realise this is probably work in progress).

    2. For each sub-directory have a page that opens if no page is specified
    (this will also take care of point 1). For example ensure you have a
    default.html (index.htm, default.php or whatever) in each folder.

    Hope this is useful. All the best for your site.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Nov 2, 2005

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Someone (Tony Inkster?) might have suggested in the past that I either would
    > divide the contents of my site and put it ín different sites or I would
    > classifly it using several subdirectories (subpaths?)
    > The latter is what I am trying to do at the moment.
    > Here is an example.
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/damsandaler-italien.php
    >
    > Skor= shoes
    > Damskor= lady´s shoes
    > Damsandaler=lady´s sandals.

    Use a database and some server-side programming to handle it. Much
    better.

    --
    Hywel

    , Nov 2, 2005
  4. <> skrev i meddelandet

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Someone (Tony Inkster?) might have suggested in the past that I either

    would
    > divide the contents of my site and put it ín different sites or I would
    > classifly it using several subdirectories (subpaths?)
    > The latter is what I am trying to do at the moment.
    > Here is an example.
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/damsandaler-italien.php
    >
    > Skor= shoes
    > Damskor= lady´s shoes
    > Damsandaler=lady´s sandals.

    Use a database and some server-side programming to handle it. Much
    better.

    --
    Hywel

    What do you exactly mean?
    Do you mean to put each image file in the database and beside that
    all information which relate to the image file and call these information
    from the database into the pages?
    Why would it be better?
    --
    Write in peace for peace
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 2, 2005
  5. "Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message
    > > Someone (Tony Inkster?) might have suggested in the past that I either
    > > would
    > > divide the contents of my site and put it ín different sites or I would
    > > classifly it using several subdirectories (subpaths?)
    > > The latter is what I am trying to do at the moment.
    > > Here is an example.

    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/damsandaler-italien.php

    > > Skor= shoes
    > > Damskor= lady´s shoes
    > > Damsandaler=lady´s sandals.
    > >
    > > Was that what you meant?
    > > --
    > > Write in peace for peace
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero
    > > [it], [de], [en], [sv], [...]

    > I can't speak on behalf of Toby, but yes, I'm sure the idea is similar to
    > what he meant. Dividing portions of your website up by placing them in
    > different sub directories is one good way of logically organising your

    site.

    > Whether going to the extent of having a sub directory for each of shoes,
    > lady's shoes and lady's sandals is your call. If you only have a few

    lady's
    > sandals then I'd lump them up into lady's shoes, and if you only have a
    > handful of mens and ladies shoes then I'd lump them up into shoes.

    However,
    > how you divide it up is your call, but for your own benefit keep it
    > logical - the hierarchy you have is logical but I'd advise against

    creating
    > sub-directories unless there is a real benefit, after all you can always

    add
    > further directories later.

    It seems as I have many to show at the moment, thus I prefer to use
    subdirectories.

    > A couple of pieces of advice:
    >
    > 1. Don't let people view the contents of your folders, because it looks
    > unprofessional. If I go to
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/ then I get a directory
    > listing (okay, I realise this is probably work in progress).

    > 2. For each sub-directory have a page that opens if no page is specified
    > (this will also take care of point 1). For example ensure you have a
    > default.html (index.htm, default.php or whatever) in each folder.

    You may be right about it but why should a user try and open a folder if
    there is no direct link to it within the website?

    --
    Write in peace for peace
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 2, 2005
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    > "Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet

    <snip>

    >> A couple of pieces of advice:
    >>
    >> 1. Don't let people view the contents of your folders, because it looks
    >> unprofessional. If I go to
    >> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/ then I get a directory
    >> listing (okay, I realise this is probably work in progress).

    >> 2. For each sub-directory have a page that opens if no page is specified
    >> (this will also take care of point 1). For example ensure you have a
    >> default.html (index.htm, default.php or whatever) in each folder.

    > You may be right about it but why should a user try and open a folder if
    > there is no direct link to it within the website?

    Its something I do. (Okay, I could be unique ...) I do it sometimes if I end
    up on a page and want to see a list of related pages but there doesn't seem
    to be an obvious link on the page. I accept that's probably rare. Even so,
    don't let them see a directory listing, because it looks unprofessional (in
    my opinion).

    From an organisational point of view, if you are dividing your site using
    sub directories then it *probably* makes sense to have an "index" for each
    subdirectory (using your original example, a page for shoes from which you
    can select mens or womens, and an index page for mens shoes and an index
    page for womens shoes).

    Remember, its your site, so arrange it so its logical for you and easier for
    you to maintain. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa - it
    doesn't mean that one is better or worse than the other.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Nov 3, 2005