Directories and subdirectories.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Someone (Tony Inkster?) might have suggested in the past that I either would
divide the contents of my site and put it ín different sites or I would
classifly it using several subdirectories (subpaths?)
The latter is what I am trying to do at the moment.
Here is an example.
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/damsandaler-italien.php

Skor= shoes
Damskor= lady´s shoes
Damsandaler=lady´s sandals.

Was that what you meant?

Brian Cryer

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Someone (Tony Inkster?) might have suggested in the past that I either
would
divide the contents of my site and put it ín different sites or I would
classifly it using several subdirectories (subpaths?)
The latter is what I am trying to do at the moment.
Here is an example.
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/damsandaler-italien.php

Skor= shoes
Damskor= lady´s shoes
Damsandaler=lady´s sandals.

Was that what you meant?

I can't speak on behalf of Toby, but yes, I'm sure the idea is similar to
what he meant. Dividing portions of your website up by placing them in
different sub directories is one good way of logically organising your site.

Whether going to the extent of having a sub directory for each of shoes,
lady's shoes and lady's sandals is your call. If you only have a few lady's
sandals then I'd lump them up into lady's shoes, and if you only have a
handful of mens and ladies shoes then I'd lump them up into shoes. However,
how you divide it up is your call, but for your own benefit keep it
logical - the hierarchy you have is logical but I'd advise against creating
sub-directories unless there is a real benefit, after all you can always add
further directories later.

A couple of pieces of advice:

1. Don't let people view the contents of your folders, because it looks
unprofessional. If I go to
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/ then I get a directory
listing (okay, I realise this is probably work in progress).

2. For each sub-directory have a page that opens if no page is specified
(this will also take care of point 1). For example ensure you have a
default.html (index.htm, default.php or whatever) in each folder.

Hope this is useful. All the best for your site.

hywel.jenkins

Luigi said:
Someone (Tony Inkster?) might have suggested in the past that I either would
divide the contents of my site and put it ín different sites or I would
classifly it using several subdirectories (subpaths?)
The latter is what I am trying to do at the moment.
Here is an example.
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/damsandaler-italien.php

Skor= shoes
Damskor= lady´s shoes
Damsandaler=lady´s sandals.

Use a database and some server-side programming to handle it. Much
better.

Luigi Donatello Asero

--
Hywel

What do you exactly mean?
Do you mean to put each image file in the database and beside that
all information which relate to the image file and call these information
from the database into the pages?
Why would it be better?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Brian Cryer said:
I can't speak on behalf of Toby, but yes, I'm sure the idea is similar to
what he meant. Dividing portions of your website up by placing them in
different sub directories is one good way of logically organising your site.

Whether going to the extent of having a sub directory for each of shoes,
lady's shoes and lady's sandals is your call. If you only have a few lady's
sandals then I'd lump them up into lady's shoes, and if you only have a
handful of mens and ladies shoes then I'd lump them up into shoes. However,
how you divide it up is your call, but for your own benefit keep it
logical - the hierarchy you have is logical but I'd advise against creating
sub-directories unless there is a real benefit, after all you can always add
further directories later.

It seems as I have many to show at the moment, thus I prefer to use
subdirectories.
A couple of pieces of advice:

1. Don't let people view the contents of your folders, because it looks
unprofessional. If I go to
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/skor/damskor/ then I get a directory
listing (okay, I realise this is probably work in progress).
2. For each sub-directory have a page that opens if no page is specified
(this will also take care of point 1). For example ensure you have a
default.html (index.htm, default.php or whatever) in each folder.

You may be right about it but why should a user try and open a folder if
there is no direct link to it within the website?

Brian Cryer

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
"Brian Cryer" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

You may be right about it but why should a user try and open a folder if
there is no direct link to it within the website?

Its something I do. (Okay, I could be unique ...) I do it sometimes if I end
up on a page and want to see a list of related pages but there doesn't seem
to be an obvious link on the page. I accept that's probably rare. Even so,
don't let them see a directory listing, because it looks unprofessional (in
my opinion).

From an organisational point of view, if you are dividing your site using
sub directories then it *probably* makes sense to have an "index" for each
subdirectory (using your original example, a page for shoes from which you
can select mens or womens, and an index page for mens shoes and an index
page for womens shoes).

Remember, its your site, so arrange it so its logical for you and easier for
you to maintain. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa - it
doesn't mean that one is better or worse than the other.