    embede for user to save.

    TIA

    PhilM
    PhilM, Dec 19, 2003

  2. PhilM

    Grant Wagner Guest

    PhilM wrote:

    > New to javascript.
    > Is it possible to use javascript to scan a directory client side.
    > If so, could someone point me in the general direction of information on how
    > to. I do not know what keywords I should be googling for :(
    >
    > I am aiming to return array of image files to use in a 'slideshow' script
    > that will be cut to cd.
    > I have already found a slideshow script, but now need to populate array, and
    > will be using php to ultimately write the html code with the javascript
    > embede for user to save.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > PhilM

    No, client-side JavaScript has no access to the local file system in the default
    security environment.

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *

    Grant Wagner, Dec 19, 2003

  3. PhilM

    PhilM Guest

    "HikksNotAtHome" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3fe2ea41$0$18386$>, "PhilM"
    > <> writes:
    >
    > >New to javascript.
    > >Is it possible to use javascript to scan a directory client side.

    > No. Not in a default security environment.
    >
    > >If so, could someone point me in the general direction of information on

    how
    > >to. I do not know what keywords I should be googling for :(
    > >
    > >I am aiming to return array of image files to use in a 'slideshow' script
    > >that will be cut to cd.
    > >I have already found a slideshow script, but now need to populate array,

    and
    > >will be using php to ultimately write the html code with the javascript
    > >embede for user to save.

    > If the images are on the CD, and PHP is generating it all, have PHP

    generate a
    > list of the files in the folders and then write it as a JS array. Problem
    > solved.
    > --
    > Randy

    PHP on server can access a users PC directory? I didn't think this was
    possible.

    The aim is to ultimately create plain html file(with embedded javascript)
    for the user to place above a directory of images on their hard drive, that
    they can then cut to disk, and use on any comp as a presentation kind of
    thing.

    PhilM
    PhilM, Dec 19, 2003
  4. PhilM

    PhilM Guest

    "Grant Wagner" <> wrote in message
    > PhilM wrote:
    >
    > > New to javascript.
    > > Is it possible to use javascript to scan a directory client side.
    > > If so, could someone point me in the general direction of information on

    how
    > > to. I do not know what keywords I should be googling for :(
    > >
    > > I am aiming to return array of image files to use in a 'slideshow'

    script
    > > that will be cut to cd.
    > > I have already found a slideshow script, but now need to populate array,

    and
    > > will be using php to ultimately write the html code with the javascript
    > > embede for user to save.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > PhilM

    > No, client-side JavaScript has no access to the local file system in the

    default
    > security environment.

    For clarification, by local file system, do you mean server, or the users
    machine?
    (local to web page, or local to client :)
    If server, then there is hope, as I do not want to access a server
    directory. (I could do that with php)

    PhilM
    PhilM, Dec 19, 2003
  5. PhilM

    Erwin Moller Guest

    PhilM wrote:

    > New to javascript.
    > Is it possible to use javascript to scan a directory client side.
    > If so, could someone point me in the general direction of information on
    > how to. I do not know what keywords I should be googling for :(

    This question is asked about once a day in this very newsgroup.

    I suggest you just read it.

    Erwin Moller, Dec 22, 2003
  6. PhilM

    Grant Wagner Guest

    PhilM wrote:

    > > No, client-side JavaScript has no access to the local file system in the

    > default
    > > security environment.
    > >

    > For clarification, by local file system, do you mean server, or the users
    > machine?
    > (local to web page, or local to client :)
    > If server, then there is hope, as I do not want to access a server
    > directory. (I could do that with php)
    >
    > PhilM

    I thought it was fairly clear... client-side JavaScript has no access to the
    local file system. Since client-side JavaScript executes on the client, the file
    system local to the client is the client's file system.

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *