directory listing in HTML

Z.K.

I not exactly an expert in HTML though I have designed a few web pages.
Normally I hard code each file I want to be on the web site that the
user can download. I was wondering though if there is a way to get the
contents of an entire directory and list them on a web page and what
would be the best way to do this.

Z.K.

Adrienne Boswell

I not exactly an expert in HTML though I have designed a few web pages.
Normally I hard code each file I want to be on the web site that the
user can download. I was wondering though if there is a way to get the
contents of an entire directory and list them on a web page and what
would be the best way to do this.

Z.K.

I would say server side would be the best way. Loop through the
contents of the directory, and put your markup accordingly.

Blinky the Shark

Z.K. said:
I not exactly an expert in HTML though I have designed a few web pages.
Normally I hard code each file I want to be on the web site that the
user can download. I was wondering though if there is a way to get the
contents of an entire directory and list them on a web page and what
would be the best way to do this.

Do you want just a plain director list, or do you want it in the context
of markup?

Phillip Mann

I not exactly an expert in HTML though I have designed a few web pages.
Normally I hard code each file I want to be on the web site that the
user can download. I was wondering though if there is a way to get the
contents of an entire directory and list them on a web page and what
would be the best way to do this.

Z.K.

I'm not an expert eithter...but...you can zip all of them into "one"
zipped file

Phil

www.BluegrassBanjo.com
www.BluegrassBanjo.org

Blinky the Shark

Phillip said:
I'm not an expert eithter...but...you can zip all of them into
"one" zipped file

So that a visitor has to download *all* of them, even if he only
wants one or two? You have broadband, don't you? :)
Phil

www.BluegrassBanjo.com
www.BluegrassBanjo.org

Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup
Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and
West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

I'm tired of manually deleting people's not properly-deliminated
sigs.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:35:49 GMT
Z.K. scribed:
I not exactly an expert in HTML though I have designed a few web pages.
Normally I hard code each file I want to be on the web site that the
user can download. I was wondering though if there is a way to get the
contents of an entire directory and list them on a web page and what
would be the best way to do this.

Certainly would be server-side scripting, probably php or maybe that
Windows one (asp?) I've never done it, myself, but ss languages are very
powerful in certain ways, and there is undoubtedly a method to expedite
your goal.

tcg

Z.K. said:
I not exactly an expert in HTML though I have designed a few web pages.
Normally I hard code each file I want to be on the web site that the
user can download. I was wondering though if there is a way to get the
contents of an entire directory and list them on a web page and what
would be the best way to do this.

Z.K.

If you are using a Windows box, you can try dirhtml at
http://dirhtml.home.comcast.net/