Directory Security via ASP / Or Adding user to Win2000 users

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Richard Morey, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I am working on a document management system for a client. I am planning to
    set up the system so that documents are protected, sort of.. A user has an
    access level and based on that access level, a list of available documents
    will display as an HTML page and the user can click a hyperlink to download
    or view the selected document.

    I am planning to handle this all through a SQL database and ASP..

    What I would REALLY like to do, though, is protect a set of directories so
    that a user could not just enter a URL and download a document without being
    prompted for a username and password if he/she hasn't already logged in.

    I have done something like this using AuthnetiX from Flicks Software, but
    this current client is trying to create a solution "on the cheap", and so
    I'd like to see if I can build the solution using the secuirty mechanisms
    built into the O/S.

    What I'm thinking is that I'll set up the directories and assign a group
    access to each directory.. My question then is, can I add users to the
    "Local Users and Groups" for Windows 2000 via ASP?

    Thanks,

    Rich

    Richard Morey, Aug 11, 2003

    Yes you can. Start here: http://www.15seconds.com/focus/ADSI.htm

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Aug 11, 2003

  3. Hi..

    Probably.. thanks for pointing those out for me..

    Rich

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > Isn't this what you want to do (3rd and 4th link)?
    >
    > Nov 27, 2001 - Learning ADSI - Part 2: Editing Users and

    Administering
    > Groups
    >

    > Oct 5, 2001 - Learning ADSI - Part 1: Adding Users To W2K
    >

    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running

    IIS
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/iis/
    >
    > "Richard Morey" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi..
    > >
    > > Thanks for that link.. There are a lot of articles listed though. Can

    you

    Richard Morey, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Richard Morey

    Joerg Guest

    Hi Rich,

    I had the same problem. I write the following script to add users to
    a local group.

    Sincerly,

    Joerg

    ******
    dim server, group,user

    group= "localGroupName"
    server= "pcName"
    user = "domainuser"

    Set obj = GetObject("WinNT://" & server & ",computer")

    set oGroup = obj.GetObject("group", group)
    oGroup.ADD "WinNT:" & "//Domain" & "/" & user
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Response.Write "could not add user to group<br>"
    Response.End
    End if

    oGroup.SetInfo

    set oGroup = nothing
    set obj = nothing

    Joerg, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Richard Morey

    James Monroe Guest

    this is a decent application as far as that goes

    www.aspprotect.com

    James Monroe, Aug 22, 2003