Directory Securiy: UNCPassword and AuthFlags

Anthony

I am using the Altiris system management web service on IIS6.0. The
Directory Security is fairly straightforward: all the virtual directories
have Windows Integrated authentication, and some of them allow Anonymous.
I need to change the authentication method to be Digest, so it can work
across firewalls. When I remove WIA and add Digest, I am prompted by
UNCPassword and AuthFlags inherited properties. My problem is that (it
seems) if I say Yes, the wrong Anonymous settings are applied. If I say No,
the changes I wanted to make are not applied. I have searched on AuthFlags
and UNCPassword and I am none the wiser.
What is the correct technique for adding or removing one authentication,
without changing what is Anonymous or not?
I want to leave the permissions in as much of a default state as possible.
For example, if one virtual directory is inheriting security from another,
I'd like to leave it inheriting even if I change the method used.
Thanks,
Anthony