Directory structure of home directory?

john

Hello..2 questions.

#1 Is there a way that anyone can view the directory structure of our home
directory? For instance , the directory structure is easy to view on most
domains like this :
www.mydomainname.com/folder/

but is there a way to view the directory structure of just
www.mydomainname.com ?

#2 Also, is the best way to protect these directories through a .htaccess
file?

thanks
John

David Dorward

#1 Is there a way that anyone can view the directory structure of our home
directory? For instance , the directory structure is easy to view on most
domains like this :
www.mydomainname.com/folder/

404 Not Found.

If you want to give an example, use example.com/org/net - that is what
they are there for.
but is there a way to view the directory structure of just
www.mydomainname.com ?

Same way - so long as the server is configured to allow it.
#2 Also, is the best way to protect these directories through a .htaccess
file?

..htaccess is just a means of providing Apache configuration directives
on a per directory basis without restarting the server.

There are numerous different ways to "protect" a webpage, some
protecting in different ways, some protecting against different things,
it depends what you want to protect against and what the capabilities
of your server are.

john

David Dorward said:
404 Not Found.

If you want to give an example, use example.com/org/net - that is what
they are there for.

Same way - so long as the server is configured to allow it.

.htaccess is just a means of providing Apache configuration directives
on a per directory basis without restarting the server.

There are numerous different ways to "protect" a webpage, some
protecting in different ways, some protecting against different things,
it depends what you want to protect against and what the capabilities
of your server are.

example.com/org/net didnt work when inputting my correct domain. Can u
just tell me how a casual visitor to my site could view the directory
stucture of the home index? (example www.example.com )

David Dorward

john said:
example.com/org/net didnt work when inputting my correct domain.

Then the server isn't configured to display a directory index
automatically.
Can u
just tell me how a casual visitor to my site could view the directory
stucture of the home index? (example www.example.com )

1. Read the manual for your server
2. Turn on auto generation of directory indexes

How you do 2 depends on what the answer to 1 is.

Jim Higson

Hello..2 questions.

#1 Is there a way that anyone can view the directory structure of our home
directory?

You should note that "home directory" in UNIX means the place where a user
puts all their own files, a bit like "My Documents" in Windows XP. I don't
think you're really asking for people to be able to view that. Often the
files for your website is stored in a folder called public_html, which is
inside your home dir.

What I *think* you're asking is how people on the web can get a directory
listing at the root of your web server. If so, which server do you use? If
it is Apache you probably can do it using the .htaccess file.