  1. john

    john Guest

    Hello..2 questions.

    #1 Is there a way that anyone can view the directory structure of our home
    directory? For instance , the directory structure is easy to view on most
    domains like this :
    www.mydomainname.com/folder/

    but is there a way to view the directory structure of just
    www.mydomainname.com ?

    #2 Also, is the best way to protect these directories through a .htaccess
    file?

    thanks
    John

    john, Jun 13, 2006

  2. john wrote:

    > #1 Is there a way that anyone can view the directory structure of our home
    > directory? For instance , the directory structure is easy to view on most
    > domains like this :
    > www.mydomainname.com/folder/

    404 Not Found.

    If you want to give an example, use example.com/org/net - that is what
    they are there for.

    > but is there a way to view the directory structure of just
    > www.mydomainname.com ?

    Same way - so long as the server is configured to allow it.

    > #2 Also, is the best way to protect these directories through a .htaccess
    > file?

    ..htaccess is just a means of providing Apache configuration directives
    on a per directory basis without restarting the server.

    There are numerous different ways to "protect" a webpage, some
    protecting in different ways, some protecting against different things,
    it depends what you want to protect against and what the capabilities
    of your server are.

    David Dorward, Jun 13, 2006

  3. john

    john Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > john wrote:
    >
    >> #1 Is there a way that anyone can view the directory structure of our
    >> home
    >> directory? For instance , the directory structure is easy to view on
    >> most
    >> domains like this :
    >> www.mydomainname.com/folder/

    > 404 Not Found.
    >
    > If you want to give an example, use example.com/org/net - that is what
    > they are there for.
    >
    >> but is there a way to view the directory structure of just
    >> www.mydomainname.com ?

    > Same way - so long as the server is configured to allow it.
    >
    >> #2 Also, is the best way to protect these directories through a .htaccess
    >> file?

    > .htaccess is just a means of providing Apache configuration directives
    > on a per directory basis without restarting the server.
    >
    > There are numerous different ways to "protect" a webpage, some
    > protecting in different ways, some protecting against different things,
    > it depends what you want to protect against and what the capabilities
    > of your server are.

    example.com/org/net didnt work when inputting my correct domain. Can u
    just tell me how a casual visitor to my site could view the directory
    stucture of the home index? (example www.example.com )

    john, Jun 14, 2006
  4. john wrote:

    > example.com/org/net didnt work when inputting my correct domain.

    Then the server isn't configured to display a directory index
    automatically.

    > Can u
    > just tell me how a casual visitor to my site could view the directory
    > stucture of the home index? (example www.example.com )

    1. Read the manual for your server
    2. Turn on auto generation of directory indexes

    How you do 2 depends on what the answer to 1 is.

    David Dorward, Jun 14, 2006
  5. john

    Jim Higson Guest

    john wrote:

    > Hello..2 questions.
    >
    > #1 Is there a way that anyone can view the directory structure of our home
    > directory?

    You should note that "home directory" in UNIX means the place where a user
    puts all their own files, a bit like "My Documents" in Windows XP. I don't
    think you're really asking for people to be able to view that. Often the
    files for your website is stored in a folder called public_html, which is
    inside your home dir.

    What I *think* you're asking is how people on the web can get a directory
    listing at the root of your web server. If so, which server do you use? If
    it is Apache you probably can do it using the .htaccess file.

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Jun 15, 2006