directpython question

veki

Hello,
I've got IBM Thinkpad 30 laptop with configuration:

IBM Thinkpad R30
P3 Mobile Celeron 900mhz
128mb sdram pc133
15gb hdd
cd-rom Teac cd-224e
56K V.90/92
10/100 Ethernet
lpt port
ps2 port
2 x usb port
vga-out
pcmcia

,then I have been install directx 9.0c,Python 2.5 and directpython for
python 2.5.On my two computers directpython works but on this
laptop it don't want work e.g:

When I want execute this script on laptop:

import d3dx
frame=d3dx.Frame(u'SOME FRAME')
frame.mainloop()

I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\veki1.py", line 2, in <module>
fr=d3dx.Frame(u'SOME FRAME')
File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\directpy\d3dx.py", line 639, in
__init__
self._createDevice(area[2:4])
File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\directpy\d3dx.py", line 659, in
_createDevice
raise RuntimeError("No valid mode found")
RuntimeError: No valid mode found

Regards,
Vedran

Tim Roberts

veki said:
Hello,
I've got IBM Thinkpad 30 laptop with configuration:
,then I have been install directx 9.0c,Python 2.5 and directpython for
python 2.5.On my two computers directpython works but on this
laptop it don't want work e.g:

When I want execute this script on laptop:

import d3dx
frame=d3dx.Frame(u'SOME FRAME')
frame.mainloop()

I get this error:
RuntimeError: No valid mode found

The R30 has kind of a wimpy graphics chip. What graphics mode are you in?

Heikki Salo

veki said:
[...]

As Tim already noted, your laptop apparently uses Trident
CyberBlade Ai1 graphics card, which is quite old and designed
for DirectX 6-8. This is not a problem if the device driver is
up to date, but the newest I found seems to be from 2003. This
can be a problem if it does not correctly support DirectX 9.0c
(released in 2004).

You should see what the DirectX diagnostics tool says
(dxdiag.exe - found in WINDIR\system32) and possibly update
the driver. Then cross your fingers and see what happens.