Disable Browser History

Wayne

I have an application that has over 150 pages. Within each page there
are between 2 and 10 Iframes. As you can imagine the back button
doesn't work very well. For the pages that are loaded within the
Iframes on each page I would like to disable them from writing to the
browser history. Any suggestions?

Andy Dingley

I have an application that has over 150 pages. Within each page there
are between 2 and 10 Iframes. As you can imagine the back button
doesn't work very well.

Ditch the iframes, go to server-side inclusion, make the Back button
work properly.

It's not only a practical fix for the back button, it gives the users
a better result than trying to disable it totally.

Travis Newbury

I have an application that has over 150 pages.
Any suggestions?.....

Yes, move the application to Flash (or Java) and have it work like an
application.

Wayne

Ditch the iframes, go to server-side inclusion, make the Back button
work properly.

It's not only a practical fix for the back button, it gives the users
a better result than trying to disable it totally.

I would love to, but this is a vender application and it is not an
option.

Jonathan N. Little

Wayne said:
I would love to, but this is a vender application and it is not an
option.

Time to find a new vendor! This whole argument is silly. It's like the
old joke "Doctor it hurts when a do this" "Well stop doing it!" The back
button is there for a reason, don't disable it--fix your problem and you
problem is fundamentally your design.

Do you know what happens when visitors go to a page on a website and
cannot find a way to back out? I'll tell you as yesterday I just talked
my mother through navigating a website over the phone, (She one of those
folks that managed to avoid computers for the last 20 years):

They (with maybe some level of panic) *close* the browser!

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Time to find a new vendor! This whole argument is silly. It's like the
old joke "Doctor it hurts when a do this" "Well stop doing it!" The back
button is there for a reason, don't disable it

There are some nice variations, here are two:

Doctor, my leg hurts: So, limp!

Doctor, my ear rings: Don't answer it!