    Thanks

    --
    Francis
    Guest, Dec 14, 2003

    Steve Pugh Guest

    <frc> wrote:

    >I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in order to
    >protect some document of copying

    Short answer:
    You can't.

    Long answer:
    You can't.

    If you want to prevent copying of a document, then don't place it on
    a web server in the first place. That's the only way to ensure that no
    one can copy it.

    In some buggy browsers applying align to some elements (e.g. tables)
    makes it impossible to select the text inside that element. But the
    page can still be saved.

    With JavaScript you can try to muck about with the browser
    functionality (disabling the right click, etc.) but you can't do
    anything that can't be circumvented.

    When a browser receives a page from your server it stores a copy of
    that page on the user's computer. Once the file is there it can be
    accessed like any other file.

    Even if you turn all your text into a graphic and screw search engines
    and the users with visual disabilities by not supplying an alt text
    the user can still run that graphic through and OCR program. Or they
    can just type the text out again.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Dec 14, 2003

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 12/14/03 9:17 AM, frc typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    > I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in order to
    > protect some document of copying
    >
    > Thanks

    Echoing Steve Pugh: If it's on the web, you can't. Don't even try,
    you'll just make yourself look bad.

    I'm using Firebird and all those js right-click capturing scripts do
    nothing to me, even though I do have js enabled. I right-click and two
    things pop up: 1. An "alert" saying that I can't right click the page,
    and 2. The right-click menu

    I then laugh at the silly author who thinks that'll stop people. Don't
    be that silly author.
    Best regards, Aron

    --
    Of course I don't look busy.....I did it right the first time!
    A Hess, Dec 14, 2003

    Richard Guest

    frc! wrote:

    > I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in order
    > to protect some document of copying

    > Thanks

    > --
    > Francis

    No problem. Click on File menu, click on "Save as", click save and I have
    your entire web page.
    Open the page in an editor and take what I want.
    Richard, Dec 14, 2003

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    frc wrote:
    > I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in
    > order to protect some document of copying

    Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false"> makes it
    difficult to copy the pictures.
    Like the others explained, it will not work for 100% of your visitors (but
    averaged 98.75% of them will be discouraged :)
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 14, 2003

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:17:50 -0000, <frc> wrote:

    : I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in order to
    : protect some document of copying

    Stick it under your mattress.... or read this..
    http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > frc wrote:
    >> I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in
    >> order to protect some document of copying

    > Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false"> makes it
    > difficult to copy the pictures.
    > Like the others explained, it will not work for 100% of your visitors (but
    > averaged 98.75% of them will be discouraged :)

    While anyone who tries to use the context menu to open a link in a new
    window, bookmark the page, go back, go forwards, check the security, see
    what cookies are set, refresh, etc, etc, etc - is likely to be rather
    irritated.

    And I'd like to know where you came up with that very interesting statistic
    - made it up on the spot perhaps? My estimate would be much lower.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Dec 14, 2003

    Guest Guest

    Thank you Nico
    That is what i was looking for

    Francis

    Guest, Dec 14, 2003
  9. In article <3fdcb157$0$410$>, Nico Schuyt
    <> wrote:

    > frc wrote:
    > > I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in
    > > order to protect some document of copying

    > Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false"> makes it
    > difficult to copy the pictures.
    > Like the others explained, it will not work for 100% of your visitors (but
    > averaged 98.75% of them will be discouraged :)
    > Nico

    You're forgetting that it has no effect on the Mac since there is no
    right click. The context menu is obtained by holding down the button,
    doing an option click, or programming a two button mouse to do an
    option click on the right button.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Dennis M. Marks, Dec 14, 2003

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> frc wrote:

    >>> I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in
    >>> order to protect some document of copying

    >> Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false"> makes
    >> it difficult to copy the pictures.
    >> Like the others explained, it will not work for 100% of your
    >> visitors (but averaged 98.75% of them will be discouraged :)

    > While anyone who tries to use the context menu to open a link in a new
    > window, bookmark the page, go back, go forwards, check the security,
    > see what cookies are set, refresh, etc, etc, etc - is likely to be
    > rather irritated.
    > And I'd like to know where you came up with that very interesting
    > statistic - made it up on the spot perhaps? My estimate would be much
    > lower.

    Hehehe, I was sure one of you would respond :)
    About the things you mentioned like check security, see what cookies are
    set, opening link in new windows, there aren't so many people (maybe even
    less than the 1.25%) who even know such things are possible let alone they
    know how to do it.
    Most of the things you mention can be done in another way (My favourite
    browser (Greenbrowser) for example, opens a link in a tabbed window on
    Shift+left click)
    About the irrititation you presume, I think someone who's really irritated
    will very quickly find out how to avoid such problems
    And, you guessed it, I made the statistic figure up on the spot. It's based
    on the fact that no one I know in real life knows how to get around such a
    disabling (but maybe it says only something about the intelligence of us
    Dutch :)

    Cheers, Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 14, 2003

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Dennis M. Marks wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> frc wrote:

    >>> I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in
    >>> order to protect some document of copying

    >> Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false"> makes
    >> it difficult to copy the pictures.
    >> Like the others explained, it will not work for 100% of your
    >> visitors (but averaged 98.75% of them will be discouraged :)

    > You're forgetting that it has no effect on the Mac since there is no
    > right click. The context menu is obtained by holding down the button,
    > doing an option click, or programming a two button mouse to do an
    > option click on the right button.

    I didn't forget but there are just soooo few Mac-users :)
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 14, 2003
  12. Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > there aren't so many people (maybe even
    > less than the 1.25%) who even know such things are possible let alone they
    > know how to do it.

    Another statistic with no evidence.

    > Most of the things you mention can be done in another way

    So? That doesn't make it any less annoying when the menu you expect to
    appear doesn't.

    > About the irrititation you presume, I think someone who's really irritated
    > will very quickly find out how to avoid such problems

    Really? OK then. You tell me how to stop sites from screwing up the context
    menu without breaking any site which depends on JavaScript to work (i.e.
    turning off JavaScript is not an option)?

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Dec 14, 2003
  13. In article <3fdcba45$0$27231$>, <frc>
    says...
    > "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote in message
    > > frc wrote:
    > > > I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in
    > > > order to protect some document of copying

    > > Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false"> makes it
    > > difficult to copy the pictures.
    > > Like the others explained, it will not work for 100% of your visitors (but
    > > averaged 98.75% of them will be discouraged :)

    > Thank you Nico
    > That is what i was looking for

    You mean to say that you were looking for something that doesn't work?
    Why?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 14, 2003

    Chuck Guest

    >> frc wrote:
    >> > I want to know how to disable the function copy in a html page in
    >> > order to protect some document of copying

    >> Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false"> makes it
    >> difficult to copy the pictures.
    >> Like the others explained, it will not work for 100% of your visitors (but
    >> averaged 98.75% of them will be discouraged :)
    >> Nico

    >Thank you Nico
    >That is what i was looking for

    Only that it's not what you were looking for. :) It will only make it
    slightly more difficult to copy the pictures, it does nothing for the
    rest of the content.

    I could still circumvent those protections in about 5 seconds and
    still copy your entire page. (and I use IE 5.5)

    The way HTML works makes it impossible to protect your page. I often
    wonder why people even bother. Even if you could allow people only to
    see the website and do nothing else, what would be the benefit? The
    major protection you have is copyright laws.

    If you are trying to advertise something, you want them to save it for
    offline viewing, assuming your product was good enough for them to
    want to do so.

    If you were making, say a porn site, your customers will rapidly
    become irritated with you, and if they really wanted the pictures,
    it's still easy enough to grab them anyway.

    If you are writing something creative, frankly you aren't talented
    enough to concern yourself with trying to protect it. If you were you
    would be published in print, and then OCR-ed.

    The bottom line if you try to protect your stuff too much, people will
    try that much harder to take it and put it up somewhere else, just for
    the challenge. (or because you cheesed them off.)

    I guess, I got a little carried away, it's just so sad when I see some
    webpage with truly horrible Dragon Ball Z slash, protected with one of
    those cheesy JavaScript right click protections. It says something
    about who wrote it and those it's designed for, and it's not something
    good. I guess, that would probably protect it from it's target
    audience though.

    -Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
    Spread love and understanding...
    but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
    -Alex Ross
    Chuck, Dec 14, 2003

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >
    >> there aren't so many people (maybe even
    >> less than the 1.25%) who even know such things are possible let
    >> alone they know how to do it.

    > Another statistic with no evidence.

    Right :)
    But an answer "You can't" to the question "how can I prevent copying"
    probably is a worse reflection of statistics.

    >> Most of the things you mention can be done in another way

    > So? That doesn't make it any less annoying when the menu you expect to
    > appear doesn't.

    Not for me. You simply can't prevent people to use this technique. It fact
    it even gives me some satisfaction I know how to get around it :)

    >> About the irrititation you presume, I think someone who's really
    >> irritated will very quickly find out how to avoid such problems

    > Really? OK then. You tell me how to stop sites from screwing up the
    > context menu without breaking any site which depends on JavaScript to
    > work (i.e. turning off JavaScript is not an option)?

    Well, there are alternative ways for things like opening a link in a new
    window, bookmarking, back, forward or refresh. (Even I never noticed that
    back and forward are options in the context menu :)
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 14, 2003

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > frc says...
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote

    >>> Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false">
    >>> makes it difficult to copy the pictures.
    >>> Like the others explained, it will not work for 100% of your
    >>> visitors (but averaged 98.75% of them will be discouraged :)

    >> Thank you Nico
    >> That is what i was looking for

    > You mean to say that you were looking for something that doesn't work?

    My advice was probably even better than yours on
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/programming.php?grp=JavaScript&id=9 :)

    > Why

    Because it works for most of his visitors :0
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 14, 2003

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    >>> Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false">

    > I could still circumvent those protections in about 5 seconds and
    > still copy your entire page. (and I use IE 5.5)

    I can do it in 0.3 seconds
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 14, 2003
  18. In article <3fdcc85b$0$419$>,
    says...
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > > frc says...
    > >> Nico Schuyt wrote

    > >> Thank you Nico
    > >> That is what i was looking for

    > > You mean to say that you were looking for something that doesn't work?

    > My advice was probably even better than yours on
    > http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/programming.php?grp=JavaScript&id=9 :)

    Really? Yours doesn't work either.

    > > Why

    > Because it works for most of his visitors :0

    How do you know?

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 14, 2003

    picayunish Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > In article <3fdcc85b$0$419$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >>
    >>>frc says...

    >>>You mean to say that you were looking for something that doesn't work?

    >>My advice was probably even better than yours on
    >>http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/programming.php?grp=JavaScript&id=9 :)

    > Really? Yours doesn't work either.
    >
    >>>Why

    >>Because it works for most of his visitors :0

    > How do you know?

    I'm guessing that the his visitors using IE with Javascript enabled.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Dec 14, 2003

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:3fdcb157$0$410$>
    Nico Schuyt said:

    > Disabling right click with <body oncontextmenu="return false"> makes it
    > difficult

    bullshit

    > to copy the pictures.

    left click on the image and drag it into the browser address bar or
    graphics program or whatever.

    --
    brucie
    15/December/2003 07:34:08 am kilo