disable copy paste

Nico Schuyt

picayunish said:
Hywel Jenkins wrote:
I'm guessing that the his visitors using IE with Javascript enabled.

Of course :) No one disables js in real life. Hotmail, telebanking and a
lot of other important sites don't work anymore.
Besides, hardly anybody I know has ever heard about Javascript. And those
who do have no idea as how to disable it.
I think sometimes we overestimate the average user.
Cheers, Nico

Nico Schuyt

Hywel said:
(e-mail address removed) says...
Really? Yours doesn't work either.

But it's not so easy to find a way around (though it'll takes me .2 seconds
:)
How do you know?

Like I said. No scientific evidence, I just don't know anyone outside of
ng's who knows how to do it.
That's just my point. For us it's soooo obvious. That's why we think it's
for everyone.
Nico

Wipkip

While sitting in a puddle kayodeok scribbled in the mud:
I do; I enable it for banking and other silly sites but it is off at
other times.

Perhaps you arn't in a real life, you just think you are. :eek:)

Nico Schuyt

kayodeok said:
Nico Schuyt wrote
I do; I enable it for banking and other silly sites but it is off at
other times.

What I mean with 'real life' is 'everybody I know' (customers, friends,
relatives) outside of ng's.
According to statistics such as http://www.thecounter.com millions of people
have js turned off.
The percentage (11-13%) however is much higher than I can believe (though I
quote the figures when it suits me :).
Not only by my own (limited) experience, but also by the fact that I used to
maintain a couple of sites in the past with a js-based menu that were
totally inaccessible with js disabled. Some of them had hundreds of visitors
a day and the number of complaints was (practically) zero.
The probably most frequently visited site in the Netherlands
(http://www.startpagina.nl/) is inaccessible without js.
I'm not the only one who has his doubts about the figures:
http://archives.hwg.org/hwg-techniques/013f01c0c755$3b68ded0$0600a8c0@tim
Maybe it depends on geographic location??
Nico

brucie

What I mean with 'real life' is 'everybody I know' (customers, friends,
relatives) outside of ng's.

theres about 600-650 million people online. how many is "everybody i
know" 1 million? 10 million? 50 million?

the internet is very much bigger than your narrow little view of it.

Nico Schuyt

brucie said:
Nico Schuyt said:
theres about 600-650 million people online. how many is "everybody i
know" 1 million? 10 million? 50 million?

134 (But that are the most important ones)

BTW Browser statistics are unreliable. How reliable are statistics
concerning javascipt?
Nico

brucie

BTW Browser statistics are unreliable. How reliable are statistics
concerning javascipt?

just make a number up you think sounds right. it seems most people
accept 10%-15% as sounding right.

oldwetdog

brucie said:
in post <Nico Schuyt said:

just make a number up you think sounds right. it seems most people
accept 10%-15% as sounding right.
Question: could it be possible that the number of people who have js
disabled is equal to the number of people who are using old browsers
and/or browsers which do not include it. (aka lynx etc)?

oldwetdog may have written:
Question: could it be possible that the number of people who have js
disabled is equal to the number of people who are using old browsers
and/or browsers which do not include it. (aka lynx etc)?

Unlikely. Turning off JavaScript may help (or at least some
people believe it does) if:

You don't like popups (and use a browser that doesn't
do pop-up blocking);

you don't like a site to fiddle with the size, focus, or other
aspects of your browser window (and don't have a browser that
has fine control of this);

you don't like your right mouse button being blocked;

you're paranoid about a site finding things about your
browsing habits;

you're using IE, are paranoid about nasty code,
and don't have this week's 'critical update' downloaded.

kayodeok

Question: could it be possible that the number of people who
have js disabled is equal to the number of people who are using
old browsers and/or browsers which do not include it. (aka lynx
etc)?

I use the following browsers: Old Browser (IE6), New Browsers (Opera
7.23, Firebird 0.7), Semi Old Browser (Mozilla 1.4).

I used to have Netscape 4 (another Old Browser) but that was for
testing and was never for browsing anyway.

If I need to use Lynx, I either use the Delorie Viewer or one of
Opera's User Stylesheets or one of the WebDev Extensions I downloaded
for Firebird 0.7

Richard

David! said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
While anyone who tries to use the context menu to open a link in a new
window, bookmark the page, go back, go forwards, check the security, see
what cookies are set, refresh, etc, etc, etc - is likely to be rather
irritated.
And I'd like to know where you came up with that very interesting
statistic - made it up on the spot perhaps? My estimate would be much
lower.

No problem. I just leave the site and forget them.
If they want to take over what I can do with my browser, or PC? Screw them.

oldwetdog

kayodeok said:
I use the following browsers: Old Browser (IE6), New Browsers (Opera
7.23, Firebird 0.7), Semi Old Browser (Mozilla 1.4).

I used to have Netscape 4 (another Old Browser) but that was for
testing and was never for browsing anyway.

If I need to use Lynx, I either use the Delorie Viewer or one of
Opera's User Stylesheets or one of the WebDev Extensions I downloaded
for Firebird 0.7
IE6 is an old browser? I thought Opera 7.21 was the latest (excuse me, I
gotta run out for new version)

Please excuse me, it seems I may have mis phrased my question:
If approx 15% of the surfers are using outdated browsers; is this the
same people (or approx the same) who are being counted as having
"javascript" or "Java" turned off?

If *some* percentage of users are using old browsers which CANNOT use
javascript (or Java), does that not leave a rather small number of
people with newer browsers who have bothered to find out how to disable
it (javascript)?

I don't have anything (javascript) critical to navigation on my pages,
and they work with Lynx to display the text... so just wondering about
these seeming (seeming to me to be) confused figures.

oldwetdog

kayodeok said:
I use the following browsers: Old Browser (IE6), New Browsers (Opera
7.23, Firebird 0.7), Semi Old Browser (Mozilla 1.4).

I used to have Netscape 4 (another Old Browser) but that was for
testing and was never for browsing anyway.

If I need to use Lynx, I either use the Delorie Viewer or one of
Opera's User Stylesheets or one of the WebDev Extensions I downloaded
for Firebird 0.7
O.K., opera 7.23 installed, using thunderbird 0.3, cream in my extra hot
French roast espresso, with cream cheese danish.
And the question is: what percentage of the *ancient* browsers could not
use javascript, and how does that effect the stats concerning the number
of surfers who have javascript disabled?