Disable Internet Explorer Toolbar

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. I have a C# Web Forms application and would like to disable the Internet
    Explorer toolbar and menu. How can I do this?

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Hi,

    Tom wrote:
    > I have a C# Web Forms application and would like to disable the Internet
    > Explorer toolbar and menu. How can I do this?

    By disable, I guess you mean hide. You cannot do that for the current
    window. The only way is to open a pop-up using client-side JavaScript,
    and using the feature string to specify which bar should be displayed
    and which should be hidden.

    See
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Jul 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    Alan Silver Guest

    In article <>, Laurent Bugnion
    <> writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >Tom wrote:
    >> I have a C# Web Forms application and would like to disable the
    >>Internet Explorer toolbar and menu. How can I do this?

    >By disable, I guess you mean hide. You cannot do that for the current
    >window. The only way is to open a pop-up using client-side JavaScript,
    >and using the feature string to specify which bar should be displayed
    >and which should be hidden.

    And even then, the user can simply type Ctrl-n to open the page in a new
    window, complete with toolbars, menu bars, etc.

    The main question is why you would want to remove the toolbar and menu.
    It sounds like a very bad idea to me. These two represent the basis of
    the user's browsing experience. Why do you want to cripple them?

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Jul 5, 2006
  4. Hi,

    Alan Silver wrote:

    > And even then, the user can simply type Ctrl-n to open the page in a new
    > window, complete with toolbars, menu bars, etc.
    >
    > The main question is why you would want to remove the toolbar and menu.
    > It sounds like a very bad idea to me. These two represent the basis of
    > the user's browsing experience. Why do you want to cripple them?

    It can be legitimate in some occasions IMHO. If you must display a very
    small window, for example, the bars look clumsy. In such cases, however,
    one might prefer to use a DIV or something similar instead of a pop-up.

    In the case of a web application (as opposed to a website), there might
    be cases where the navigation is not the main purpose of the window,
    thus hiding the bars might make sense.

    Devil's advocate, I know ;-)

    Greetings,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Jul 5, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    Guest

    ya, i'd go with a Google Spreadsheets type "popup window"

    http://spreadsheets.google.com/

    Laurent Bugnion wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Alan Silver wrote:
    >
    > > And even then, the user can simply type Ctrl-n to open the page in a new
    > > window, complete with toolbars, menu bars, etc.
    > >
    > > The main question is why you would want to remove the toolbar and menu.
    > > It sounds like a very bad idea to me. These two represent the basis of
    > > the user's browsing experience. Why do you want to cripple them?

    > It can be legitimate in some occasions IMHO. If you must display a very
    > small window, for example, the bars look clumsy. In such cases, however,
    > one might prefer to use a DIV or something similar instead of a pop-up.
    >
    > In the case of a web application (as opposed to a website), there might
    > be cases where the navigation is not the main purpose of the window,
    > thus hiding the bars might make sense.
    >
    > Devil's advocate, I know ;-)
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Laurent