Disable javascript in Netscape 8?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Bob, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Does anyone know how to disable javascript in the new Netscape 8 -- for
    off line testing (like can be done readily with the current MSIE,
    Firefox or Opera browsers) ?

    When I try tools -> options -> site controls -> web features and check
    or uncheck the 'enable javascript' box, nothing changes -- it stays
    enabled.

    I've searched FAQs, archives and google about the issue, with no luck.

    The odd thing is I swear last summer I managed past the problem
    intermittently by clearing the cache, restarting the program, rebooting
    the system, or something like that . . . but then got busy with other
    things and now I don't recall what I did -- or if I was dreaming.

    If no-one else can disable javascript on NN8, then why worry? I don't
    know -- to be thorough, I guess. Would a third party security program
    'disable javascript' feature be a way to test NN8 under these
    circumstances? Or maybe it's the case that the 'disable javascript'
    controls in NN8 work only for online content (the reverse of the MSIE
    controls). I'll check it out and report back.

    In the mean time . . . any help?

    -------------

    Bob

    Bob, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Bob

    Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to disable javascript in the new Netscape 8 -- for
    > off line testing (like can be done readily with the current MSIE,
    > Firefox or Opera browsers) ?
    >
    > When I try tools -> options -> site controls -> web features and check
    > or uncheck the 'enable javascript' box, nothing changes -- it stays
    > enabled.
    >
    > I've searched FAQs, archives and google about the issue, with no luck.
    >
    > The odd thing is I swear last summer I managed past the problem
    > intermittently by clearing the cache, restarting the program, rebooting
    > the system, or something like that . . . but then got busy with other
    > things and now I don't recall what I did -- or if I was dreaming.
    >
    > If no-one else can disable javascript on NN8, then why worry? I don't
    > know -- to be thorough, I guess. Would a third party security program
    > 'disable javascript' feature be a way to test NN8 under these
    > circumstances? Or maybe it's the case that the 'disable javascript'
    > controls in NN8 work only for online content (the reverse of the MSIE
    > controls). I'll check it out and report back.

    I have Netscape 8.0.3.3 which is based on Firefox. I am using Windows
    XP with SP2 and all other upgrades. I unchecked JS/VB on the Netscape
    browser and returned a few times to be sure it remained unchecked,
    which it did. I also rebooted a few times in case some registry setting
    had to be changed by rebooting. However JS still worked on web pages at
    my domain that use JS.

    I have several browsers and usually leave script on for all of them
    except when I am checking how one of my pages works with script off. I
    usually use Firefox for this, and it allows script to be turned on and
    off easily. Thus I am not going to waste a lot of time on this Netscape
    8 apparent problem. Perhaps Netscape has some sort of forum where you
    could ask. If you find out how to correct the problem, please let us
    know.

    , Dec 20, 2005