disable print screen?

Frances Del Rio

I know the answer is probably no, but I thought I'd try.. is there a
way of disabling 'print screen' so users can't do screen-shots? thank
you.. Frances

Evertjan.

Frances Del Rio wrote on 06 jan 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
I know the answer is probably no, but I thought I'd try.. is there a
way of disabling 'print screen' so users can't do screen-shots? thank
you.. Frances

Not with a html page, I am glad to say.

In principle,
anything that can be sent to the user,
can be used any way the user sees fit.

Frances Del Rio

Evertjan. said:
Frances Del Rio wrote on 06 jan 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:

Not with a html page, I am glad to say.

In principle,
anything that can be sent to the user,
can be used any way the user sees fit.

thanks for yr response.. I agree w/principle you express, however this
is for work, where clients often ask us to protect content on their
sites (usu. images..) thank you.. Frances

Robert

Frances Del Rio said:
clients often ask us to protect content on their
sites (usu. images..)

Suggest they use an image quality that is just good enough to display on
the web, but will be good enough for printing. Have them include a
watermark.

Robert

Michael Winter

this is for work, where clients often ask us to protect content on their
sites (usu. images..)

The fact of the matter is that you cannot protect content without locking
it behind some form of secure system. Any form of client-side "protection"
is useless because anyone who wants to steal the material will know
exactly how to get around it. Those that will be affected the most are the
legitimate users who have no intention of stealing anything.

Mike

Fred Oz

Frances Del Rio wrote:
[...]
thanks for yr response.. I agree w/principle you express, however this
is for work, where clients often ask us to protect content on their
sites (usu. images..) thank you.. Frances

Just let them know that anything a user sees on a page can be
copied, stored and reproduced at will - and there is nothing
physical that they can do about it (just like any other mass
distribution medium - TV, print, radio, etc.).

So don't publish anything that they aren't happy to give away.
Of course normal copyright extends to anything published on the
web, but as for enforcing it ... ask the RIAA!