Disable right click - and source code view

techfiddle

Disabling the right click and hiding the source code view may be two
entirely separate issues. I Googled disable right click and
encountered three separate blocks of source code, none of which; worked
on my page at http://www.geocities.com/techfiddle//policies.html

I also searched in this group "disable right click" but the entires I
got were very old, probably not effective any longer.

I remember from the past there was very short snippet of code that
worked, but now I can't find it. I don't care so much about hiding the
source code (though that would be cool), as much as protecting my
images.

During the Googling (Ask, actually), there was a software program I
could buy for $40 which accomplishes this:

http://www.antssoft.com/htmlprotector/index.htm

So do I need to buy something or is there html that will accomplish
this?

Thanks!
Connie

THREE BLOCKS OF SOURCE CODE THAT DID *NOT* WORK:

<PRE>

______________________________

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">
<!-- Original: Martin Webb ([email protected]) -->

<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->
<!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->

<!-- Begin
function right(e) {
if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' &&
(e.which == 3 || e.which == 2))
return false;
else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' &&
(event.button == 2 || event.button == 3)) {
alert("I'm sorry, The Right click option on your mouse has been
disabled for the download window pages.");
return false;
}
return true;
}

document.onmousedown=right;
document.onmouseup=right;
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);
window.onmousedown=right;
window.onmouseup=right;
// End -->
</script>

</head>

________________

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
<!-- http://www.spacegun.co.uk -->
var message = "function disabled";
function rtclickcheck(keyp){ if (navigator.appName == "Netscape" &&
keyp.which == 3){ alert(message); return false; }
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") != -1 && event.button == 2) {
alert(message); return false; } }
document.onmousedown = rtclickcheck;
</SCRIPT>

_____________________________

<SCRIPT>function click() {if (event.button==2) {alert('Ooops...\nRight
click is disabled!');}}document.onmousedown=click// - -></SCRIPT>

____________________________

</PRE>

Steve Pugh

techfiddle said:
Disabling the right click and hiding the source code view may be two
entirely separate issues.

But they share some things in common:
1. They don't work.
2. They're pointless.
3. They really don't work.
I Googled disable right click and
encountered three separate blocks of source code, none of which; worked

Which browser are you using? Most modern browsers don't allow the page
to disable basic browser functions like right click.
I also searched in this group "disable right click" but the entires I
got were very old, probably not effective any longer.

Any techniques you found never were effective. Any advice you found to
stop wanting to do this is still 100% valid.
I remember from the past there was very short snippet of code that
worked, but now I can't find it.

It didn't work.
I don't care so much about hiding the
source code (though that would be cool), as much as protecting my
images.

Don't put them on the web.

Or hire a lawyer and enforce your copyright by taking legal action
against people you steal your images.
During the Googling (Ask, actually), there was a software program I
could buy for $40 which accomplishes this:

http://www.antssoft.com/htmlprotector/index.htm

Anyone who buys that has just wasted $4. It does a good job of making
your site inaccessible, but a poor job of protecting source code.
So do I need to buy something or is there html that will accomplish
this?

Nothing you buy can do this. Nothing in HTML can do this.

There are various JavaScript tricks that make it fractionally more
difficult for clueless users to steal your images or code. But that's
the best they can do.

Steve

Leif K-Brooks

techfiddle said:
I remember from the past there was very short snippet of code that
worked, but now I can't find it. I don't care so much about hiding the
source code (though that would be cool), as much as protecting my
images.

Try: rm -rf /home/techfiddle/public_html

That will make your images safe!

The Eclectic Electric

You can't do that with HTML. To be honest I personally hate sites that
disable right-click - there are many things I like to do with context menus
that I don't think website owners should be attempting to block.

+e

ato_zee

I don't care so much about hiding the
source code (though that would be cool), as much as protecting my
images.

You might also have to think about Googles cache, of both pages
and images.

John Dunlop

Leif K-Brooks:
Try: rm -rf /home/techfiddle/public_html

That will make your images safe!

Bush is trying to rm -f /bin/laden.

Will that make his people safe?

techfiddle

Try: rm -rf /home/techfiddle/public_html

You lost me...what is this?

I'm using Mozilla.

No, I distinctly remember that there was something. That worked. I
was surprised none of the three I tried didn't work.

I would be satisified to block the clueless.

BootNic

techfiddle said:
news: (e-mail address removed)
[...]

[snip]
Disable image right-click by capturing oncontextmenu.

Bypass by
- disabling JavaScript temporarily
- using a browser that doesn't support oncontextmenu

Javascript is usually used to add functionality to a site, when
javascript is used to disable functionality, it becomes an annoyance.

<script type="text/javascript">
function annoyance1(e)
{
var elm=e.target||e.srcElement;
if(elm.tagName.toLowerCase()=='img')
{
if(e.target)
{
e.preventDefault();
e.stopPropagation();
}
else if(e.srcElement)
{
e.returnValue=false;
}
alert('WARNING:\n¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ \nWe have determined that right clicking '+
'on images\nmay lead to unnecessary ware on your mouse.\n\nWe wou'+
'ld like to encourage you to save your mouse.\n\nBy avoiding right clic'+
'king images in the future, you may\nprevent the extinction of your m'+
'ouse.\n\nThis message was brought to you by your friendly\nneighbor'+
'hood webmaster.');
if(window.attachEvent)
{
document.attachEvent('oncontextmenu',annoyance1);
}
else if(window.addEventListener)
{
document.addEventListener('contextmenu',annoyance1,null);
}
</script>

--
BootNic Monday, October 30, 2006 12:56 PM

A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your
step as you walk the tightrope of life
*William Arthur Ward*

Bergamot

techfiddle said:
I don't care so much about hiding the
source code (though that would be cool), as much as protecting my
images.

Forget about trying to hide your source code. It is a wasted effort.

Protect your images by putting a watermark on them.

dorayme

"techfiddle said:
You lost me...what is this?

I'm using Mozilla.

No, I distinctly remember that there was something. That worked. I
was surprised none of the three I tried didn't work.

I would be satisified to block the clueless.

You want to hide stuff from the sort that would be unlikely to
steal stuff from you to great effect?

Travis Newbury

techfiddle said:
You lost me...what is this?
I'm using Mozilla.
No, I distinctly remember that there was something. That worked. I
was surprised none of the three I tried didn't work.

Not having enough knowledge to make this work only proves that the
level of your code sophistication is hardly worth stealing anyway.
(hint... neither are your pictures)

Cynode

Forget about trying to hide your source code. It is a wasted effort.

make your website in flash, that will hide the code! lol.
Protect your images by putting a watermark on them.

Yeah, pretty much the only way, and free advertising too!

Basically the age old thing about pictures, music, and videos. if I
can see it or hear it on my PC, there is a way for me to save it and
takes it for my own.

Travis Newbury

Cynode said:
make your website in flash, that will hide the code! lol.

Not even a little. It is simple to decompile Flash. Any good Flash
developer knows their code is wide open to the world to see.

Toby Inkster

BootNic said:
Bypass by
- disabling JavaScript temporarily
- using a browser that doesn't support oncontextmenu

- using a browser that has an option to prevent scripts from
capturing right clicks on a temporary or site-by-site basis
(e.g. Opera).

BootNic

Toby Inkster said:
news: (e-mail address removed)5n.co.uk

- using a browser that has an option to prevent scripts from
capturing right clicks on a temporary or site-by-site basis
(e.g. Opera).

The script does not capture right clicks, it adds/attaches to the
oncontextmenu. Opera does not support oncontextmenu.

--
BootNic Tuesday, October 31, 2006 2:41 PM

"Do not trust your memory; it is a net full of holes; the most
beautiful prizes slip through it."
*Georges Duhamel, The Heart's Domain*

richard

techfiddle said:
Disabling the right click and hiding the source code view may be two
entirely separate issues. I Googled disable right click and
encountered three separate blocks of source code, none of which; worked
on my page at http://www.geocities.com/techfiddle//policies.html

Do what ever you want. Just remember one thing. I have visited your site,
therefor your images are already on my computer. If the image fits entirely
on my screen, then I can simply print screen, save the image and edit as
desired.
Slap your domain name conspicously across the image to protect it from
unauthorized use.
Unless you personally took the image with your own camera, you do not own
rights to that image.

techfiddle

richard said:
Unless you personally took the image with your own camera, you do not own
rights to that image.

I paid someone to take the image. So I think I own the rights to it.

This block of code may work:

<script language=JavaScript>
<!--

//Disable right mouse click Script
//By Maximus ([email protected])
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="Sorry This function is disabled. The graphics and script
on this page are not Public Domain and are not available for download
or use.";
///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE() {if (document.all) {alert(message);return false;}}
function clickNS(e) {if
(document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {alert(message);return false;}}}
if (document.layers)
{document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
// -->
</script>

Not sure, about to try it. Which is from:

http://www.sheilascorner.com/sheila.shtml

Sheila's code is a total mystery to me.

techfiddle

richard said:
[...]

Chris F.A. Johnson

I paid someone to take the image. So I think I own the rights to it.

That depends on the contract you signed; otherwise it belongs to
the person who took it.
This block of code may work:

[...]

Same here, but it doesn't prevent me fromn downloading any images
from her page.