Disable right-click in Konqueror?

Bill H

I have a page of images that I'd like to slow the average user down a
tad in saving locally. oncontextmenu="return false" works fine in IE
and Netscape, however, I just had a user tell me the right-click is
available in Konqueror. Any insights on how to slow folks down a bit?

TIA!

Neal

I have a page of images that I'd like to slow the average user down a
tad in saving locally.

For what reason on the green Earth do you want to slow down the user?

This is pertinent to any relevant advice. Frankly, most authors want to
make things faster.

Sam Hughes

I have a page of images that I'd like to slow the average user down a
tad in saving locally. oncontextmenu="return false" works fine in IE
and Netscape, however, I just had a user tell me the right-click is
available in Konqueror. Any insights on how to slow folks down a bit?

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Chris H.

Bill said:
I have a page of images that I'd like to slow the average user down a
tad in saving locally. oncontextmenu="return false" works fine in IE
and Netscape, however, I just had a user tell me the right-click is
available in Konqueror. Any insights on how to slow folks down a bit?

TIA!

let me add in agreement with the others...those using konqueror are
obviously using a *nix of some sort...which means they have half a clue. if
they really want an image on your page, they can very easily bypass
anything you could possibly throw at them through the use of 'wget'. could
mirror your whole site using 'wget -r http://www.yoursite.com' and there is
not you could do about it. sorry. its called the world wide web for a
reason. if its on a server, it can be obtained. if you dont want your
images taken, dont upload them.

Jukka K. Korpela

Chris H. said:
if they really want an image on your page, they can very easily bypass
anything you could possibly throw at them

Surely, but trying to disable saving of images is the common way of
telling that they are not worth saving, or anything else. Just as trying
to hide your HTML is the usual way of telling that it shouldn't have been
written in the first place.

Blinky the Shark

Bill said:
I have a page of images that I'd like to slow the average user down a
tad in saving locally. oncontextmenu="return false" works fine in IE
and Netscape, however, I just had a user tell me the right-click is
available in Konqueror. Any insights on how to slow folks down a bit?

I have never commented on the disable-right-click requests, but
something about the way you worded yours made me powerless to resist the
urge to suggest that you redo your site so it only appeals to the slower
users.

Kris

Bill H said:
I have a page of images that I'd like to slow the average user down a
tad in saving locally. oncontextmenu="return false" works fine in IE
and Netscape, however, I just had a user tell me the right-click is
available in Konqueror. Any insights on how to slow folks down a bit?

Jim Higson

sorry. its called the world wide web for a
reason. if its on a server, it can be obtained. if you dont want your
images taken, dont upload them.

Good thing too IMO, I've mostly learned the web from looking at other
peoples's HTML. If you want someone to not copy your work consider using
copyright law.

Btw, in Konq you can save an image by just dragging it from the webpage to a
local directly. And, *no* they don't let you disable it with dumb
proprietry markup. Why would an open source project put in something that
is against the interests of the user?

Bill H

I have never commented on the disable-right-click requests, but
something about the way you worded yours made me powerless to resist the
urge to suggest that you redo your site so it only appeals to the slower
users.

Wow, what a bunch of losers... really kids. You all state the obvious
(you can't protect images, they're cached, yadda, yadda, yadda).
There really was a simply question here, can I disable the right-click
in Konqueror... there is no need for me to explain my reasons to you.
If you have nothing to add simply sit down and STFU.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Jeffrey Silverman:
Hah! Good site.

I like number 9 the best. But I'm a bit confused -- in number 1, it
says use <INVISBLE> tags. I couldn't find that tag listed on w3.org
anywhere. Anyone?

<foghornleghorn>"It's a joke, son"</foghornleghorn>

Karl Groves

Jeffrey Silverman said:
Hah! Good site.

I like number 9 the best. But I'm a bit confused -- in number 1, it says
use <INVISBLE> tags. I couldn't find that tag listed on w3.org anywhere.
Anyone?

You can't find the <invisible> tag? I admit, they're rather hard to see.

-Karl

Jim Higson

Wow, what a bunch of losers... really kids. You all state the obvious
(you can't protect images, they're cached, yadda, yadda, yadda).
There really was a simply question here, can I disable the right-click
in Konqueror... there is no need for me to explain my reasons to you.
If you have nothing to add simply sit down and STFU.

Now I think about it there are some strategies that would do what you want,
but it depends on the situation. Post an URL so we can see?

Hywel

Wow, what a bunch of losers... really kids. You all state the obvious
(you can't protect images, they're cached, yadda, yadda, yadda).
There really was a simply question here, can I disable the right-click
in Konqueror... there is no need for me to explain my reasons to you.
If you have nothing to add simply sit down and STFU.

Ooh, get her. She sure is tetchy.

Sam Hughes

The right click is also available in Mozilla.
Wow, what a bunch of losers... really kids. You all state the obvious
(you can't protect images, they're cached, yadda, yadda, yadda).
There really was a simply question here, can I disable the right-click
in Konqueror... there is no need for me to explain my reasons to you.
If you have nothing to add simply sit down and STFU.

Ok, now for the answer to your question: Yes.

Happy?