    http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/
    how to do that?
    thanks
    hannibal, Feb 2, 2004

  2. hannibal

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 00:33:48 -0500, "hannibal" <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Hi

    G'day.

    > in internet explorer i would like to disable the horizantal scroll bar in
    > this website;
    > http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/

    Make your browser window wider. :)

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...etect automatically)&doctype=Inline&verbose=1
    (watch for wrapping) would be a good start.

    Better still, ditch the frames...

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
    frames")

    ....and table-based layout...

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    ....and start again.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Feb 2, 2004

  3. hannibal

    Jay Guest

    "hannibal" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > in internet explorer i would like to disable the horizantal scroll bar in
    > this website;
    > http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/
    > how to do that?
    > thanks

    Don't specify absolute width.

    Try getting rid of your frames too. They're not needed.

    - J
    Jay, Feb 2, 2004
  4. hannibal

    Steve R. Guest

    hannibal wrote in message ...
    > in internet explorer i would like to disable the horizantal scroll
    > bar in this website; http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/

    You need to make the content of the iframes 50 or more pixels narrower than
    the actual width of the iframe or you *will* get horizonatl scroll bars.
    Steve R., Feb 2, 2004
  5. hannibal

    DU Guest

    hannibal wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > in internet explorer i would like to disable the horizantal scroll bar in
    > this website;
    > http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/
    > how to do that?
    > thanks

    - Get ride of the frames entirely: you certainly don't need them for
    this kind of website.
    - Validate your webpages:
    dynHTML/mainMenuHaut.html and dynHTML/mainMenuBas.html have no doctype
    declaration and uses a lot of invalid syntax and invalid markup code.
    - <div style="position:absolute; left:190px; top:0px; width:100%-190; ...
    is invalid. You just can't execute absolute values minus relative values
    (100%-190) in a css declaration, just like that. You don't need at all
    abs. positioning here.
    - I would use an entirely CSS driven menu instead of a DHTML menu. You
    don,t need javascript for that. Right now, if an user has javascript
    disabled or if he's usign an old browser, the DHTML at the left won't
    work well (or won't work at all). You should provide a sitemap for these
    users.
    Also, if both CSS and javascript support are disabled, then the user can
    not navigate nor use the site. Again, a sitemap. Best is to use the
    <link> elements to create a working Site Navigation toolbar for browsers
    supporting that. Link has been supported since HTML 2.0 rec.

    W3C Quality Assurance tip for webmasters
    Use <link>s in your document
    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/use-links

    The 'link'-Element in (X)HTML
    http://www.subotnik.net/html/link.html.en

    - Right now, your DHTML menu is not scalable in MSIE. If I want to
    increase the size of fonts in MSIE, your DHTML menu will remain as small
    as it is. Avoid using absolute values for font-sizes regardless of
    browsers involved: you can make your website entirely scalable by using
    relative font-size values like % or em length units.

    - the doctype declaration of the iframed document should not be
    frameset: that's wrong.
    - If you declare a marginwidth for the iframe and then request it to
    have a width of 100%, then you should get an hor. scrollbar,
    notwithstanding the default margin on the body of the iframed document.

    For many reasons, your design specifications are causing scrollbar to
    appear. Anyway, I don't even understand why you would need an iframe in
    there when a simple <div> with given dimensions with overflow:auto would
    do better without an extra http connection.

    W3C Quality Assurance
    Quality Tips for Webmasters
    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/

    DU