disable title bar, status bar, and address bar of a window

Matt

I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
window, I don't know what is the correct approach.
I tried the following but not working. any ideas??

Is there any approach using HTML in my problem?

<title>hey</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function disablestatusbar()
{
window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
}
</script>

Toby Inkster

Matt said:
I tried the following but not working. any ideas??
window.document.statusbar.enable = false;

How about:

Stop making things up entirely at random and just expecting
them to work.

There is (AFAIK) no way to disable toolbars on your visitor's browser
window short of paying a visit to his house, right-clicking on them and
turning them off.

You *can* however open a new window without these toolbars. But don't. The
status bar is useful for displaying the status, so chances are that most
of your visitors won't appreciate it being removed.

Now how about telling us what the actual problem you're trying to solve
is, and not telling us about your broken idea for a solution?

Steve Pugh

I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
window,
Why?

I don't know what is the correct approach.

Turn those things off in _your_ browser configuration. Whatever your
reasons for wanting to get rid of them I can assure that at least some
of your visitors won't agree and will want to have those items
present.

Did you know that one of the security updates in XP SP2 is to make it
much more difficult to hide the status bar of new windows?
I tried the following but not working. any ideas??

There is no such property as window.document.statusbar.enable in any
browser that I know of. Netscape has window.statusbar.visible but that
(a) doesn't exist in IE, etc. and (b) requires a signed script to
maniuplate.

When creating new windows via window.open you can set it that
statusbar and locationbar aren't shown (subject to browser security
concersn such as the one mentioned above) but the titlebar is trickier
to remove.
Is there any approach using HTML in my problem?

No. HTML is a page markup language it doesn't concern itself at all
with whatever the browser is displaying outside the page.

Steve

WebcastMaker

I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
window, I don't know what is the correct approach.
I tried the following but not working. any ideas??

Unless there is a specific application for this for example, launching a
webcast, it is probably not a good idea. Having said that, you have to
do this when you open the window. Google "popup window" and you will
have your answer.

Neal

I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
window, I don't know what is the correct approach.
I tried the following but not working. any ideas??

Is there any approach using HTML in my problem?

<title>hey</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function disablestatusbar()
{
window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
}
</script>

I want all your windows and doors in your house to lock and not let you
out while you visit my pages. The heat should go on as well. I'd like to
do that in HTML only if possible.

Even if I could do that, wouldn't you find that invasive and wrong? So
your house, my browser - what's the difference?

WebcastMaker

I want all your windows and doors in your house to lock and not let you
out while you visit my pages...

I love reading all he completely unrelated examples people come up
with...

It' a damn browser, use a popup blocker and be done with it. If the
worst thing in your life is a popup window, consider yourself lucky.

Neal

It' a damn browser, use a popup blocker and be done with it. If the
worst thing in your life is a popup window, consider yourself lucky.

Oh, my popups are blocked. But when a web designer erroneously makes a
popup window essential for using the site, I lose out, and therefore the
site owner loses out. That's why popups are a bad idea - even if the
user's setup ignores them, they are usually the only way to use the site.

Now, I can find another site, but I'm a nice guy and I'd like it if
authors recognized that popups are disaster, as avoiding them is better
for everyone.

SpaceGirl

Matt said:
I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
window, I don't know what is the correct approach.
I tried the following but not working. any ideas??

Is there any approach using HTML in my problem?

<title>hey</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function disablestatusbar()
{
window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
}
</script>

While not really good practice, it can be done, but only by opening a
new browser window via script.

Google for the window.open() event - this has many parameters that you
can pass to it to control the way an average browser window behaves.
However, you have no control over a window that you have not opened
through a script.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

cefm

Neal said:
Oh, my popups are blocked. But when a web designer erroneously makes a
popup window essential for using the site, I lose out, and therefore the
site owner loses out. That's why popups are a bad idea - even if the
user's setup ignores them, they are usually the only way to use the site.

Now, I can find another site, but I'm a nice guy and I'd like it if
authors recognized that popups are disaster, as avoiding them is better
for everyone.

Do popup blockers block only script pop-ups? (i.e. Javascript)

or do they block like umm.. < a href="somepage.html" target="_blank"> as
well?

Neal

Do popup blockers block only script pop-ups? (i.e. Javascript)

or do they block like umm.. < a href="somepage.html" target="_blank"> as
well?

Depends. The best ones block anything.