disable title bar, status bar, and address bar of a window

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Matt, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    window, I don't know what is the correct approach.
    I tried the following but not working. any ideas??

    Is there any approach using HTML in my problem?

    <title>hey</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function disablestatusbar()
    {
    window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
    }
    </script>

    Matt, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Matt

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > I tried the following but not working. any ideas??
    > window.document.statusbar.enable = false;

    How about:

    Stop making things up entirely at random and just expecting
    them to work.

    There is (AFAIK) no way to disable toolbars on your visitor's browser
    window short of paying a visit to his house, right-clicking on them and
    turning them off.

    You *can* however open a new window without these toolbars. But don't. The
    status bar is useful for displaying the status, so chances are that most
    of your visitors won't appreciate it being removed.

    Now how about telling us what the actual problem you're trying to solve
    is, and not telling us about your broken idea for a solution?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./red_hot_chilli_peppers/californication.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Matt

    Steve Pugh Guest

    (Matt) wrote:

    >I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    >window,

    Why?

    >I don't know what is the correct approach.

    Turn those things off in _your_ browser configuration. Whatever your
    reasons for wanting to get rid of them I can assure that at least some
    of your visitors won't agree and will want to have those items
    present.

    Did you know that one of the security updates in XP SP2 is to make it
    much more difficult to hide the status bar of new windows?

    >I tried the following but not working. any ideas??

    There is no such property as window.document.statusbar.enable in any
    browser that I know of. Netscape has window.statusbar.visible but that
    (a) doesn't exist in IE, etc. and (b) requires a signed script to
    maniuplate.

    When creating new windows via window.open you can set it that
    statusbar and locationbar aren't shown (subject to browser security
    concersn such as the one mentioned above) but the titlebar is trickier
    to remove.

    >Is there any approach using HTML in my problem?

    No. HTML is a page markup language it doesn't concern itself at all
    with whatever the browser is displaying outside the page.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Matt

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    > window, I don't know what is the correct approach.
    > I tried the following but not working. any ideas??

    Unless there is a specific application for this for example, launching a
    webcast, it is probably not a good idea. Having said that, you have to
    do this when you open the window. Google "popup window" and you will
    have your answer.

    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Aug 21, 2004
  5. Matt

    Neal Guest

    On 21 Aug 2004 08:05:55 -0700, Matt <> wrote:

    > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    > window, I don't know what is the correct approach.
    > I tried the following but not working. any ideas??
    >
    > Is there any approach using HTML in my problem?

    > <title>hey</title>
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > function disablestatusbar()
    > {
    > window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
    > }
    > </script>

    I want all your windows and doors in your house to lock and not let you
    out while you visit my pages. The heat should go on as well. I'd like to
    do that in HTML only if possible.

    Even if I could do that, wouldn't you find that invasive and wrong? So
    your house, my browser - what's the difference?

    Neal, Aug 21, 2004
  6. Matt

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I want all your windows and doors in your house to lock and not let you
    > out while you visit my pages...

    I love reading all he completely unrelated examples people come up
    with...

    It' a damn browser, use a popup blocker and be done with it. If the
    worst thing in your life is a popup window, consider yourself lucky.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Matt

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:10:19 -0400, WebcastMaker <> wrote:

    > It' a damn browser, use a popup blocker and be done with it. If the
    > worst thing in your life is a popup window, consider yourself lucky.

    Oh, my popups are blocked. But when a web designer erroneously makes a
    popup window essential for using the site, I lose out, and therefore the
    site owner loses out. That's why popups are a bad idea - even if the
    user's setup ignores them, they are usually the only way to use the site.

    Now, I can find another site, but I'm a nice guy and I'd like it if
    authors recognized that popups are disaster, as avoiding them is better
    for everyone.

    Neal, Aug 22, 2004
  8. Matt

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    > window, I don't know what is the correct approach.
    > I tried the following but not working. any ideas??
    >
    > Is there any approach using HTML in my problem?

    > <title>hey</title>
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > function disablestatusbar()
    > {
    > window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
    > }
    > </script>

    While not really good practice, it can be done, but only by opening a
    new browser window via script.

    Google for the window.open() event - this has many parameters that you
    can pass to it to control the way an average browser window behaves.
    However, you have no control over a window that you have not opened
    through a script.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 22, 2004
  9. Matt

    cefm Guest

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:10:19 -0400, WebcastMaker <> wrote:
    >
    >> It' a damn browser, use a popup blocker and be done with it. If the
    >> worst thing in your life is a popup window, consider yourself lucky.

    > Oh, my popups are blocked. But when a web designer erroneously makes a
    > popup window essential for using the site, I lose out, and therefore the
    > site owner loses out. That's why popups are a bad idea - even if the
    > user's setup ignores them, they are usually the only way to use the site.
    >
    > Now, I can find another site, but I'm a nice guy and I'd like it if
    > authors recognized that popups are disaster, as avoiding them is better
    > for everyone.

    Do popup blockers block only script pop-ups? (i.e. Javascript)

    or do they block like umm.. < a href="somepage.html" target="_blank"> as
    well?

    cefm, Aug 23, 2004
  10. Matt

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:47:39 GMT, cefm <>
    wrote:

    > Do popup blockers block only script pop-ups? (i.e. Javascript)
    >
    > or do they block like umm.. < a href="somepage.html" target="_blank"> as
    > well?

    Depends. The best ones block anything.

    Neal, Aug 23, 2004