    window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
    sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.

    any ideas would be most appreciated.

    David Rwj Cherry CS2000, Feb 16, 2004

  2. David Rwj Cherry CS2000

    kaeli Guest

    In article <4030d47a$>,
    enlightened us with...
    > is there any way to disable or lock vertical scroll bars on a browser
    > window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
    > sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.
    >
    > any ideas would be most appreciated.

    Is this for a site other people are going to look at?
    If so, they might want to increase the font size so they can read it.
    Making the scroll bars go away is a Bad Thing (tm) for accessibility
    reasons. Some people don't have good eyesight and may need to increase
    the font size to as large as it goes. This usually makes any "normal"
    page have to scroll.

    As to removing them from an open window, no. You can open a new window
    with no scrollbars, but (see above) it's a Bad Idea (tm) for internet
    sites.

    If you meant you want your own personal browser to not show scollbars on
    any page, I don't think you can do that. You could make a custom HTA
    that didn't have them, in theory.

    ~kaeli~
    I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Feb 16, 2004

  3. David Rwj Cherry CS2000

    Grant Wagner Guest

    kaeli wrote:

    > In article <4030d47a$>,
    > enlightened us with...
    > > is there any way to disable or lock vertical scroll bars on a browser
    > > window? im a newbie and i just don't want them to appear on my screen.
    > > sometimes they appear on IE but not on mozilla.
    > >
    > > any ideas would be most appreciated.

    > If you meant you want your own personal browser to not show scollbars on
    > any page, I don't think you can do that. You could make a custom HTA
    > that didn't have them, in theory.

    Actually, it is possible to control things like scrollbars in your own
    browser. Create a css file with something like:

    body { overflow-x: hidden ! important; }

    Then in Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options,
    Accessibility..., check "Format documents using my style sheet", then
    Browse... and specify the css file created above. You will never get a
    horizontal scrollbar on any Web page again.

    And although I don't think Firefox exposes the functionality directly
    (although it may in some Extension or other), you can achieve the same
    effect in Firefox by editing <Firefox directory>/res/html.css and adding

    body { overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical ! important; }

    Although it doesn't appear to do what I think it should be doing, however it
    does suppress horizontal scrollbars (in addition to doing odd things to the
    vertical one). Also note that the res directory contains other css files
    such as forms.css, which contains default CSS for all form elements. For
    example, if you always want text inputs on forms to have a single pixel
    black border, you can change:

    input {
    border: 2px inset ThreeDFace;

    input {
    border: 1px solid Black ! important;

    By the way, I'm not recommending this, you could probably make a huge mess
    of Mozilla/Firefox, in addition to possibly violating some copyrights I
    didn't read very carefully.

    Also, the procedures outlined above are precisely why you shouldn't rely on
    your Web page rendering the same on anyone's computer other then your own.

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *

    Grant Wagner, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Grant Wagner wrote:

    > [...]
    > And although I don't think Firefox exposes the functionality directly
    > (although it may in some Extension or other), you can achieve the same
    > effect in Firefox by editing <Firefox directory>/res/html.css and adding
    >
    > body { overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical ! important; }
    >
    > [...]
    > By the way, I'm not recommending this, you could probably make a huge mess
    > of Mozilla/Firefox, in addition to possibly violating some copyrights I
    > didn't read very carefully.

    That's why there is the possibility for
    <profile_directory>/chrome/userContent.css
    and the like.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 28, 2004