Disabled comments based on IP?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Praemins, Mar 4, 2012.

  1. Hi everyone,

    Is it possible for a webmaster to disable comments on a website, by storing the
    IP address (or some variant thereof in case of dynamic IP ranges) of a specific
    user? In other words, block IP-specific users?

    The following page belongs to a Greek web-newspaper, and although I used to be
    able to post without problems, since two days ago, the "submit" and "clear"
    buttons have been lately disabled.

    http://www.protothema.gr/greece/article/?aid=143337

    I just peeked a bit under the source of the page and the two blue buttons below
    the user comments (sumbit/clear) seem to point only to
    http://www.protothema.gr/#

    which does nothing but call the front page of the website, instead of activating
    a js for sending the comments in. Before that, the first button activated a
    short dialog "Your comments have been submitted and are awaiting authorization".

    Maybe a problem with javascript?

    PS: The website is in Greek and the encoding is UTF-8.

    Thanks,

    John

    John Praemins, Mar 4, 2012

  2. 2012-03-04 18:37, John Praemins wrote:

    > Is it possible for a webmaster to disable comments on a website, by
    > storing the IP address (or some variant thereof in case of dynamic IP
    > ranges) of a specific user? In other words, block IP-specific users?

    Yes.

    > http://www.protothema.gr/greece/article/?aid=143337
    >
    > I just peeked a bit under the source of the page and the two blue
    > buttons below the user comments (sumbit/clear) seem to point only to
    > http://www.protothema.gr/#

    The page has, however, a click event handler set (via JavaScript, not
    HTML attribute) for the element.

    It can be a major effort to try to analyze how the page works, and you
    would no even (directly)see what happens server-side.

    I suggest that you contact the site admin and ask them about the issue.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 4, 2012

  3. Jukka K. Korpela scrieb:

    > 2012-03-04 18:37, John Praemins wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible for a webmaster to disable comments on a website, by
    >> storing the IP address (or some variant thereof in case of dynamic IP
    >> ranges) of a specific user? In other words, block IP-specific users?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> http://www.protothema.gr/greece/article/?aid=143337
    >>
    >> I just peeked a bit under the source of the page and the two blue
    >> buttons below the user comments (sumbit/clear) seem to point only to
    >> http://www.protothema.gr/#

    > The page has, however, a click event handler set (via JavaScript, not
    > HTML attribute) for the element.
    >
    > It can be a major effort to try to analyze how the page works, and you
    > would no even (directly)see what happens server-side.

    Thanks to both.

    > I suggest that you contact the site admin and ask them about the
    > issue.

    I might. Doesn't this kind of blocking though sound like censorship and/or
    discrimination, particularly for a news-source?

    This website has also censored some of my comments directly, after submission. I
    can understand direct censorship related to abusive or demeaning language, but
    specific IP-blocking looks like more than a little fishy to me.
    --
    John

    John Praemins, Mar 4, 2012
  4. On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 20:22:55 +0200, "John Praemins"
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >This website has also censored some of my comments directly, after submission. I

    Their Website, their rules.

    >can understand direct censorship related to abusive or demeaning language, but
    >specific IP-blocking looks like more than a little fishy to me.

    It gets around you simply creating a new login and using that.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, Mar 5, 2012
  5. 2012-03-05 6:56, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

    >> can understand direct censorship related to abusive or demeaning language, but
    >> specific IP-blocking looks like more than a little fishy to me.

    > It gets around you simply creating a new login and using that.

    No, to get around IP-blocking you need a different IP. Switching to a
    new computer may not help if the connection is seen from the outside as
    coming from the same IP.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 5, 2012
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >> John Praemins wrote:
    >>> can understand direct censorship related to abusive or demeaning
    >>> language, but specific IP-blocking looks like more than a little fishy
    >>> to me.

    >> It gets around you simply creating a new login and using that.

    > No, to get around IP-blocking you need a different IP. Switching to a
    > new computer may not help if the connection is seen from the outside as
    > coming from the same IP.

    Mr Praemins said that IP blocking looks fishy. Mr Wirchenko replied that
    IP blocking prevents user from creating a new login account. I'm sure Mr
    Wirchenko knows that a new login account would use the visitor's same IP
    address...

    Sounds to me as if Mr Praemins needs to contact the site's webmaster or
    owner and get a direct answer.

    I have one site where an annoying pest abuses the Contact Us form, so
    I've added code to send both his IP address and his (small) ISP direct to
    the 404 page whenever he accesses the contact form. He's never figured it
    out.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2012
  7. On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:09:04 +0000 (UTC), "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    >> Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It gets around you simply creating a new login and using that.

    >> No, to get around IP-blocking you need a different IP. Switching to a
    >> new computer may not help if the connection is seen from the outside as
    >> coming from the same IP.

    >Mr Praemins said that IP blocking looks fishy. Mr Wirchenko replied that
    >IP blocking prevents user from creating a new login account. I'm sure Mr
    >Wirchenko knows that a new login account would use the visitor's same IP
    >address...

    I do, yes.

    >Sounds to me as if Mr Praemins needs to contact the site's webmaster or
    >owner and get a direct answer.

    Agreed.

    >I have one site where an annoying pest abuses the Contact Us form, so
    >I've added code to send both his IP address and his (small) ISP direct to
    >the 404 page whenever he accesses the contact form. He's never figured it
    >out.

    Good. IP address filtering is not a total solution, but it can
    help.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, Mar 5, 2012