Disabling keyboard keys - why?

Jordan R.

I just went to the following URL - wanted to copy and paste it (via
Ctrl+C... Ctrl+V) - not a big deal - right?

Well, the page throws up a message box stating that the Ctrl key is
disabled.

See for yourself:
http://www.it-cortex.com/Stat_Failure_Rate.htm

How did they do that?

Why in the world would they have done it? Is there a *good* reason to be
doing such things?

Just curious...

Thanks!

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I would think the idea would be to prevent people from copying content from
the page.
I'm not sure I would call this a *good* idea because there are always other
ways for determined people to copy the content from a web page. This kind
of thing is impossible to prevent 100%. But I suspect it's an attempt to
keep honest people honest.

Fred Exley

Jordan R. said:
I just went to the following URL - wanted to copy and paste it (via
Ctrl+C... Ctrl+V) - not a big deal - right?

Well, the page throws up a message box stating that the Ctrl key is
disabled.

See for yourself:
http://www.it-cortex.com/Stat_Failure_Rate.htm

How did they do that?

Why in the world would they have done it? Is there a *good* reason to be
doing such things?

Just curious...

Thanks!

I suppose the author is trying to deter us from copying his stuff, which
usually has just the opposite effect. Just click on the top toolbar Edit,
then Copy.

-Fred

Guest

Stupid peoples think this stupid js can prevent content copy.
But Print Scrn always possible ;-)

Guest

View->Source will get you exact HTML content that the browser rendered ...
Also how abt File->Save As .. that would save all content including the
images & js..