    Thanks in advance for your help...

    Hector
    , Jul 22, 2006

  2. Riki Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is there anyway avoiding users to save my web pages?
    > this idea came to my mind when I tried to save a web page, but in the
    > middle of saving progress something like the following error occurred:
    > "unable to save the page...".
    >
    > on the other hand, once, I saved a web page successfully, but when I
    > opened it the characters were completely unreadable. unfortunately I
    > can't remember the url now but if you know any way to restrict users,
    > please let me know. (by the way, I'm not looking for javascripts to
    > disable right click or so).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help...
    >
    > Hector

    It is not possible.
    Even if it were possible in one browser, it won't be in the 100 other
    possible browsers.

    If you don't want users to save your pages, don't publish them.

    --

    Riki
    Riki, Jul 22, 2006

  3. Hans Kesting Guest

    > wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is there anyway avoiding users to save my web pages?
    >> this idea came to my mind when I tried to save a web page, but in the
    >> middle of saving progress something like the following error occurred:
    >> "unable to save the page...".
    >>
    >> on the other hand, once, I saved a web page successfully, but when I
    >> opened it the characters were completely unreadable. unfortunately I
    >> can't remember the url now but if you know any way to restrict users,
    >> please let me know. (by the way, I'm not looking for javascripts to
    >> disable right click or so).
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help...
    >>
    >> Hector

    > It is not possible.
    > Even if it were possible in one browser, it won't be in the 100 other
    > possible browsers.
    >
    > If you don't want users to save your pages, don't publish them.

    True.

    The browser has to be able to download the clear-text version of the
    page, so anything that can "talk http" (such as 'telnet' to port 80)
    can access that clear-text version (and any other files it points to).

    Hans Kesting
    Hans Kesting, Jul 24, 2006

    1. How about opening your page using window.open from javascript
    This option lets you control lots of properties of web-browser, may
    be you can control "Save As" option too, never tried it though

    2. Also remember to disable the right click option on the page
    http://javascript.internet.com/page-details/no-right-click.html

    3. Even if you disable both of the above, you will be unable to stop
    user from doing PRNT+Screen :)

    Hope that helps

    Thanks
    PP

    Hans Kesting wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Is there anyway avoiding users to save my web pages?
    > >> this idea came to my mind when I tried to save a web page, but in the
    > >> middle of saving progress something like the following error occurred:
    > >> "unable to save the page...".
    > >>
    > >> on the other hand, once, I saved a web page successfully, but when I
    > >> opened it the characters were completely unreadable. unfortunately I
    > >> can't remember the url now but if you know any way to restrict users,
    > >> please let me know. (by the way, I'm not looking for javascripts to
    > >> disable right click or so).
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance for your help...
    > >>
    > >> Hector

    > > It is not possible.
    > > Even if it were possible in one browser, it won't be in the 100 other
    > > possible browsers.
    > >
    > > If you don't want users to save your pages, don't publish them.

    > True.
    >
    > The browser has to be able to download the clear-text version of the
    > page, so anything that can "talk http" (such as 'telnet' to port 80)
    > can access that clear-text version (and any other files it points to).
    >
    > Hans Kesting
    , Jul 27, 2006
  5. Alan Silver Guest

    In article <>,
    writes
    >1. How about opening your page using window.open from javascript
    > This option lets you control lots of properties of web-browser, may
    >be you can control "Save As" option too, never tried it though

    And the user simply clicks Ctrl-N and the page opens in a new window,
    complete with menus, toolbar, etc.

    >2. Also remember to disable the right click option on the page
    > http://javascript.internet.com/page-details/no-right-click.html

    Not only is this a useless attempt to stop users from doing what they
    want, it has serious accessibility issues and should never be used. You
    will annoy your users and not stop them from saving the page.

    >3. Even if you disable both of the above, you will be unable to stop
    >user from doing PRNT+Screen :)

    Even if you do the first two options, you still won't be able to stop
    them saving the page. Both options are a waste of time, possibly worse.

    Just accept the fact that you can't stop it. What do you have that is so
    valuable that you don't want people saving it? If you're that bothered
    about it, maybe you shouldn't be putting it on the web!!

    >Hope that helps

    Misinformation does not help, it merely deludes people into thinking
    they have a solution for the problem that they have created. Far better
    to accept the facts and realise that you have to think around the
    problem another way.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, Jul 30, 2006
  6. I completely agree with this. In fact, if a user can see it, she can print
    screen it and save it from paint - a 2 second process. If you need that much
    security, your better off using a pdf with appropriate permissions settings.
    And it's really annoying to disable expected windows functionality.

    --
    Warm regards,

    [Shameless Author plug]
    Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley