    Just wondering if having CSS code in the HTML would make a difference to a
    search engine?

    Cheers,
    Woody W, Jul 14, 2007

  2. Woody W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Ts%li.21531$>,
    "Woody W" <> wrote:

    > What are the disadvantages of having CSS code in HTML?
    >
    > I know it is more easier to update CSS in one place.
    >
    > Just wondering if having CSS code in the HTML would make a difference to a
    > search engine?
    >
    > Cheers,

    CSS is for styling the webpage. Search robots are not known for
    their sense of style. They are cold, calculating types, without
    feeling, without aesthetics, without the slightest warmth. To put
    it simply, you would not want to be going to the pub with one and
    expect to have some fun. You would not normally take one to the
    movies - never mind pashing on at the back with one - to have
    another being to discuss what was just seen because the
    conversation would be equally frustrating. There is no denying
    that its demands for a review of the content of the movie might
    be a bit of an education, but most movies would so disappoint on
    this score that ...

    Getting the picture?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 14, 2007

  3. Woody W

    Woody W Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Ts%li.21531$>,
    > "Woody W" <> wrote:
    >
    >> What are the disadvantages of having CSS code in HTML?
    >>
    >> I know it is more easier to update CSS in one place.
    >>
    >> Just wondering if having CSS code in the HTML would make a difference to
    >> search engine?
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > CSS is for styling the webpage. Search robots are not known for
    > their sense of style. They are cold, calculating types, without
    > feeling, without aesthetics, without the slightest warmth. To put
    > it simply, you would not want to be going to the pub with one and
    > expect to have some fun. You would not normally take one to the
    > movies - never mind pashing on at the back with one - to have
    > another being to discuss what was just seen because the
    > conversation would be equally frustrating. There is no denying
    > that its demands for a review of the content of the movie might
    > be a bit of an education, but most movies would so disappoint on
    > this score that ...
    >
    > Getting the picture?

    So they would just ignore the CSS in the HTML?
    Woody W, Jul 14, 2007
  4. Woody W

    JH Guest

    On Jul 14, 9:47 am, "Woody W" <> wrote:
    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > > In article <Ts%li.21531$>,
    > > "Woody W" <> wrote:

    > >> What are the disadvantages of having CSS code in HTML?

    > >> I know it is more easier to update CSS in one place.

    > >> Just wondering if having CSS code in the HTML would make a difference to
    > >> search engine?

    > >> Cheers,

    > > CSS is for styling the webpage. Search robots are not known for
    > > their sense of style. They are cold, calculating types, without
    > > feeling, without aesthetics, without the slightest warmth. To put
    > > it simply, you would not want to be going to the pub with one and
    > > expect to have some fun. You would not normally take one to the
    > > movies - never mind pashing on at the back with one - to have
    > > another being to discuss what was just seen because the
    > > conversation would be equally frustrating. There is no denying
    > > that its demands for a review of the content of the movie might
    > > be a bit of an education, but most movies would so disappoint on
    > > this score that ...

    > > Getting the picture?

    > So they would just ignore the CSS in the HTML?- Hide quoted text -

    well, you might anger the search engines if you put e.g. white text on
    a white background.
    JH, Jul 14, 2007
  5. Scripsit dorayme:

    > CSS is for styling the webpage. Search robots are not known for
    > their sense of style. They are cold, calculating types, without
    > feeling, without aesthetics, without the slightest warmth.

    Yet they can become cruel if they detect things that they regard as unfair,
    cheating, and intentionally misleading. They are known to recognize "hidden"
    text (intended to affect search engines without being seen by users) such as
    white text on white background, implemented using <font color="white"> for
    example. Some of them even recognize situations where the text color is
    almost the same (and virtually the same to human eyes) as the background
    though with a different color value. Ad what they do then is probably the
    removal of the page, if not the entire site, from their database. They might
    even block the site so that when they see links to their pages, they just
    skip them as crap.

    The odds are that if you cheat in a similar manner using CSS, you'll get
    away with it. Processing style sheets is much more complex than processing
    would have to render the page visually in a virtual world and then recognize
    whether some text is actually hidden. And then many tricky CSS techniques
    would get their due reward. This is surely _possible_ but it is not
    _probable_, and I have not seen any symptoms or even claims that search
    engines pay attention to CSS code.

    If they do, however, it will hardly matter whether the CSS code is "inline"
    (in style="..." attributes) or "embedded" (in <style ...>...</style>
    elements) or "external" (referred to via <link ...> elements). It's fairly
    trivial to deal with these ways, and surely much simpler than actual
    processing of stylesheets.

    The most difficult question, however, is why the OP asked the question. Why
    would it matter?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 14, 2007
  6. Woody W wrote:
    > What are the disadvantages of having CSS code in HTML?
    >
    > I know it is more easier to update CSS in one place.

    You answer your own question. Yes it is much easier to maintain a site
    if your have one stylesheet that is attached to your pages. No matter
    how many pages your website has to make a check you only exit on page,
    the alternative requires editing all your pages!

    > Just wondering if having CSS code in the HTML would make a difference to a
    > search engine?

    Don't this it matters, but the advantage described above should be
    reason enough not to use inline styling.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 14, 2007
  7. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Don't this it matters, but the advantage described above should be
    > reason enough not to use inline styling.

    In ENGLISH:
    Don't think it matters, but the advantage described above should be

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 14, 2007
  8. Woody W

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:05:07
    GMT Woody W scribed:

    > What are the disadvantages of having CSS code in HTML?
    >
    > I know it is more easier to update CSS in one place.
    >
    > Just wondering if having CSS code in the HTML would make a difference
    > to a search engine?
    >
    > Cheers,

    I doubt to a search engine but sometimes to the validator.

    --
    Neredbojias
    A self-made man who worships his creator
    Neredbojias, Jul 14, 2007
  9. Woody W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <9H2mi.191524$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Scripsit dorayme:
    >
    > > CSS is for styling the webpage. Search robots are not known for
    > > their sense of style. They are cold, calculating types, without
    > > feeling, without aesthetics, without the slightest warmth.

    > Yet they can become cruel if they detect things that they regard as unfair,
    > cheating, and intentionally misleading. They are known to recognize "hidden"
    > text (intended to affect search engines without being seen by users) such as
    > white text on white background, implemented using <font color="white"> for
    > example. ... They might
    > even block the site so that when they see links to their pages, they just
    > skip them as crap.
    >
    > The odds are that if you cheat in a similar manner using CSS, you'll get
    > away with it. Processing style sheets is much more complex than processing
    > would have ...

    > The most difficult question, however, is why the OP asked the question. Why
    > would it matter?

    Might have been idle curiousity or a confession about what would
    really motivate him to use css (search status benefits)? Anyway,
    there is one point I forgot to mention where css can actually aid
    the search algorithms. I understand that these robots tend to
    look at the beginning of the html body (I do not know the
    details). But the order in the html can be manipulated to be of
    the greatest advantage to search engines while the css can
    control the visual or aural order of the presentation in the
    browsers. These two orders can be quite different. The op might
    care to note this.

    Sometimes, authors choose to put the content above the navigation
    or vice versa. The css might specify different positioning to the
    default html. And this can, I understand, make a difference to
    the search engines.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 15, 2007
  10. Scripsit dorayme:

    > [...] there is one point I forgot to mention where css can actually aid
    > the search algorithms. I understand that these robots tend to
    > look at the beginning of the html body (I do not know the
    > details).

    That is my impression too, though I have not seen any hard facts on it,
    still less details. It's a natural assumption anyway. Moreover, when a
    search engine creates a short excerpt of a document, to be presented in a
    list of search results, it may use the first dozen or so words from the
    start. However, search engines may also pick up excerpts around (first)
    occurrences of the search words.

    > But the order in the html can be manipulated to be of
    > the greatest advantage to search engines while the css can
    > control the visual or aural order of the presentation in the
    > browsers. These two orders can be quite different.

    That is correct. It needs to be remembered, though, that the "pure HTML"
    order will be used when CSS is not supported by a browser, or CSS support is
    disabled, or the browser has been instructed to ignore author style sheets.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 15, 2007
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Woody W"
    <> writing in

    > What are the disadvantages of having CSS code in HTML?
    >
    > I know it is more easier to update CSS in one place.
    >
    > Just wondering if having CSS code in the HTML would make a difference
    > to a search engine?
    >
    > Cheers,

    As others have mentioned, white text on white background.

    When I develop a site, I keep 99% of my style in an external sheet. The
    exception would be something like <li style="border:0"> . I think the
    more weight is added to a page by inline style, the longer it takes for
    the robot to get around, and that _might_ negatively impact SERPs.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 16, 2007
  12. Woody W

    m1k3p

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    One advantage of abstracting your CSS is that having the file linked in the header means that the browser cache's it for re-use, and doesn't reload it on every page refresh. This keeps your page size to a minimum, and speeds up the ongoing load time of your site.

    Cheers! MIKEP!
    m1k3p, Jan 24, 2012