Disappearing JVM - strange error

Discussion in 'Java' started by JStonebracker, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I'm having a very strange problem in one of my applications. This is
    what's happening:

    A few JVMs crash without giving any clues as to what is happening. No
    error messages, no stack traces, no core dumps. Nothing. Nada. They
    just disappear.

    I'm running on Windows 2000 and I had the same problem using JDKs
    1.3.1_07 and 1.3.1_08. Sometimes I also notice a Windows error dialog
    say that the "Application log is full" but I'm not sure it is related
    (because when the problem happens and the dialog is NOT there we can't
    see any entries in the application log).

    The application is a JBoss server process which is part of a cluster.
    In the process we have a RMI application running. The nodes that crash
    are the nodes where this RMI client/server is deployed. When the app
    server process starts we bind the RMI server stub in to the JNDI tree
    and this server object communicates with a number of different
    applications.

    I suspect that this could be related to RMI (distributed gc, maybe?)
    or the fact that this service running within the JBoss process is
    multi-threaded (relies heavily on waits and notifies). But I don't
    really know. The process simply disappears.

    We have deployed the RMI service in different machines to rule out the
    possibility of hardware failure but the crash happened anyway.

    We have a memory monitor that checks the memory usage every 30
    seconds. The logs show that the memory usage should not be a problem.
    It is possible, though, that we have a memory spike that takes less
    than 30 seconds to show up and crash the system in such a dramatic
    way.

    Has anyone here ever experienced or seen anything like this?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    JS

    JStonebracker, Jul 8, 2003