disappearing of global perlish variables

gabriele renzi

Hi gurus and nubys,

matz said more than once that the perlish global variables like
$/ or $: are going away in future releases.

I wonder if is there already a decision, what they will become?
I mean, it's easy to think that $DEFAULT_INPUT may become a class
variable of IO but what about $1..$n or $: ?

More, would it be possible to have some kind of backward compat via an
external module ?

Paul Rubin

gabriele renzi said:
matz said more than once that the perlish global variables like
$/ or $: are going away in future releases.

I think you want comp.lang.ruby, not python.

Mike C. Fletcher

gabriele said:
Hi gurus and nubys,

matz said more than once that the perlish global variables like
$/ or $: are going away in future releases.
Hmm, I've never, (in 8 years) seen $/ or $: (as Python code) in Python.
I'm sure I would have remembered something that jarringly opaque if it
were to show up in a Python module. Are you asking if they are going
away from Perl? Or do these exist in some obscure (and obviously warped
and twisted :) ) corner of Pythonalia that I've managed to avoid falling
into through some good karmic influence from a past life?
I wonder if is there already a decision, what they will become?
I mean, it's easy to think that $DEFAULT_INPUT may become a class
variable of IO but what about $1..$n or $: ?
??? Um, are you sure this is the right newsgroup to ask?
More, would it be possible to have some kind of backward compat via an
external module ?
No, that sounds almost Pythonic, though from what I just read a few days
ago, maybe Perl *is* trying to become Python via the v6 rewrite ;) , and
thus maybe this thread (with a little explanation, perhaps, as to what
on earth $/ or $: mean/do/change) does belong in the Python newsgroup.

Have fun,
Mike

Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder