Disappearing RoadRunner messages (Sea Wasp, Keith Thompson)

Hallvard B Furuseth

Regarding the threads
comp.lang.c: Keith Thompson's messages dont come through
rec.arts.sf.written: The Strange Case of the Invisible Wasp

Sea Wasp's and Keith Thompson's messages have both been disappearing
from for some people (including me) since 2. or 3. November. Both post
from RoadRunner. Checking comp.lang.c++, the last message I see there
with with "X-Complaints-To: (e-mail address removed)" is from 29. October. (There
were rr postings there though, so it could be a coincidence.)

Anyway, my bet is on a filter against the sci.crypt sporger, like
someone mentioned in the threads above.

Headers from those last three messages as I see them:

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Bug/Gross InEfficiency in HeathField's fgetline program
From: Keith Thompson <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:51:41 -0700

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:31:10 -0400
From: Sea Wasp <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Booklog October 2007

From: "911 Who Really Did It?" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++, alt.guitar, rec.games.pinball, misc.writing,
rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: THEY WANT YOU DEAD. Watch Alex Jones's ENDGAME - The master plan of the globalist elite is no longer a secret
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:44:10 -0500

Sean Eric Fagan

Regarding the threads
comp.lang.c: Keith Thompson's messages dont come through
rec.arts.sf.written: The Strange Case of the Invisible Wasp

Due to RoadRunner's unwillingness, or inability, to deal with the "sporger,"
someone has been cancelling every usenet message from rr.com. This is a
"UseNET Death Penalty," or UDP. This, presumably, is discussed/announced in
some of the news.admin.net-abuse groups.

Not every site honours cancels, so some sites will see the messages, while
others will not.

Default User

Hallvard said:
Regarding the threads
comp.lang.c: Keith Thompson's messages dont come through
rec.arts.sf.written: The Strange Case of the Invisible Wasp

Sea Wasp's and Keith Thompson's messages have both been disappearing
from for some people (including me) since 2. or 3. November. Both
post from RoadRunner. Checking comp.lang.c++, the last message I see
there with with "X-Complaints-To: (e-mail address removed)" is from 29. October.
(There were rr postings there though, so it could be a coincidence.)

I mentioned in CLC hearing something about RR posts being targeted by
cancelbots in response to the sporge.

Brian

Mike Schilling

Sean Eric Fagan said:
Due to RoadRunner's unwillingness, or inability, to deal with the
"sporger,"
someone has been cancelling every usenet message from rr.com. This is a
"UseNET Death Penalty," or UDP.

Oh, *that*'s what UDP means here. I thought it mean "Under the current
heavy load, it's too expensive to create TCP connections." :).

Don Bruder

<snippage here and there for space>

Hallvard B Furuseth said:
Regarding the threads
comp.lang.c: Keith Thompson's messages dont come through
rec.arts.sf.written: The Strange Case of the Invisible Wasp

Sea Wasp's and Keith Thompson's messages have both been disappearing
Anyway, my bet is on a filter against the sci.crypt sporger, like
someone mentioned in the threads above.

Headers from those last three messages as I see them:

I'd bet on these NNTP-posting-host entries being the culprit. All three
are in the range that the sporge-creature has been using heavily. (I
just added two more (not wildcarded) for him just a few minutes ago.
Those two wiped his entire crop for me, and touched nothing legit.)

Interestingly enough, I'm seeing that he's using almost exclusively
*.rr.com news servers to do his posts. I've got a collection of
something like 40 filters targeting the NNTP-posting-host line to whack
this mole. Of those 40-ish, I've actually taken the time to run an
nslookup against just under half of them, and aside from two that point
to *.suddenlink.net machines, they all come back to *.rr.com.

Which means that sporge-boy seems to be exploiting roadrunner's servers.

Small wonder, since Roadrunner has a PARTICULARLY bad reputation when it
comes to dealing with 'net abuse reports (basically, they fall into a
black hole) so I'd bet that some upstream news admin has decided to
impose a usenet death sentence on Roadrunner.

(And for my nickel, it's about time - that outfit has been rogue from
the git-go)

half of them,

Hallvard B Furuseth

Default said:
I mentioned in CLC hearing something about RR posts being targeted by
cancelbots in response to the sporge.

Yes, I saw your message shortly after posting my own:)

Sea Wasp

Sean said:
Due to RoadRunner's unwillingness, or inability, to deal with the "sporger,"
someone has been cancelling every usenet message from rr.com.

How nice of them. Because RR won't do the job, they'll just kill
everyone -- thus punishing everyone EXCEPT Roadrunner and the sporger,
of course.

If the identity of this person is known, convey my fondest wishes
that they be tied up in front of a television playing nothing but the
Star Wars Holiday Special. With their eyelids glued open.

Hallvard said:
Yes, I saw your message shortly after posting my own:)

I read the original in rasfw, not realizing at the time it was crossed
to clc.

Brian

Christopher J. Henrich

Sea Wasp said:
How nice of them. Because RR won't do the job, they'll just kill
everyone -- thus punishing everyone EXCEPT Roadrunner and the sporger,
of course.

If the identity of this person is known, convey my fondest wishes
that they be tied up in front of a television playing nothing but the
Star Wars Holiday Special. With their eyelids glued open.

Sir, you are too kind. Complete reruns of Gilligan's island, with test
questions afterward. Oh, yes: commercials ARE included. And, no: you
do not have a "mute" button.

--
Chris Henrich
http://www.mathinteract.com

William December Starr

Christopher J. Henrich said:
Sir, you are too kind. Complete reruns of Gilligan's island, with
test questions afterward. Oh, yes: commercials ARE included. And,
no: you do not have a "mute" button.

But hey, you at least get to look at Mary Ann.

David DeLaney

Sea Wasp said:
How nice of them. Because RR won't do the job, they'll just kill
everyone -- thus punishing everyone EXCEPT Roadrunner and the sporger,
of course.

Whereas I've been seeing Sea Wasp's posts and, I think, Thompson's, but also
the sporger's - but the ones he's sending from rr.com are quite killable, it
turns out. (Though he seems to have a dynamic IP, so I have to update every
so often.)

Dave

Sea Wasp

Christopher said:
Sir, you are too kind. Complete reruns of Gilligan's island, with test
questions afterward. Oh, yes: commercials ARE included. And, no: you
do not have a "mute" button.

Gilligan's Island is sometimes watchable. Some commercials, as well.

Not so the abomination called the Star Wars Holiday Special. "This
review might make it sound like it's so bad it's good, and maybe in
some ways it is, but in most other ways it's like putting live hornets
in your ass."

"... and just when you think this show couldn't hurt you any worse
unless the tape were ejected from the VCR at high speed straight into
your face... Carrie Fisher starts to sing."

Sean Eric Fagan

Because RR won't do the job they're supposed to, why should they be allowed to
participate?

UseNET is entirely cooperative. If you don't play by the rules, there are
plenty of people who *will*, and RR could farm out to them.

Instead, they're allowing spamming, out of pure laziness.

Sorry. I have no sympathy for RR users who choose to keep supporting a
spam-friendly organization.

James Gassaway

Hallvard said:
Regarding the threads
comp.lang.c: Keith Thompson's messages dont come through
rec.arts.sf.written: The Strange Case of the Invisible Wasp

Sea Wasp's and Keith Thompson's messages have both been disappearing
from for some people (including me) since 2. or 3. November. Both
post
from RoadRunner. Checking comp.lang.c++, the last message I see there
with with "X-Complaints-To: (e-mail address removed)" is from 29. October. (There
were rr postings there though, so it could be a coincidence.)

Anyway, my bet is on a filter against the sci.crypt sporger, like
someone mentioned in the threads above.
Sea Wasp's posts only started going missing for me in the last couple of
days. I thought is was just something in my filters. I'm glad it wasn't my
own stupidity.

Keith Thompson

Sean said:
Because RR won't do the job they're supposed to, why should they be allowed to
participate?

UseNET is entirely cooperative. If you don't play by the rules, there are
plenty of people who *will*, and RR could farm out to them.

Instead, they're allowing spamming, out of pure laziness.

Sorry. I have no sympathy for RR users who choose to keep supporting a
spam-friendly organization.

I agree (mostly). The UDP (Usenet Death Penalty) is, as I understand
it, used only as a last resort, when a provider utterly fails to exhibit
the cooperation that's necessary for the whole thing to work. Though
it's a considerable inconvenience to me personally, a quick look at
sci.crypt convinces me that it's necessary.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_Death_Penalty>. (Insert
standard disclaimer about the reliability of Wikipedia, but the
information in the article agrees with what I already knew.)

I've been a Roadrunner customer for a number of years; I didn't find out
about their failure to police their users until a few days ago.
Unfortunately, they're the only reasonable high-speed ISP available to
me. I'll do what I can to call their attention to this (I've sent them
several complaints, and I'll continue to do so if they don't fix this).
I can stop using their Usenet service, but that won't have any impact
on their bottom line, since it's bundled with the rest of their Internet
service.

The whole point of a UDP, after all, is to encourage the offending ISP's
customers to pressure it to comply, not to drive the ISP out of business.

Sea Wasp

Sean said:
Because RR won't do the job they're supposed to, why should they be allowed to
participate?

UseNET is entirely cooperative. If you don't play by the rules, there are
plenty of people who *will*, and RR could farm out to them.

Instead, they're allowing spamming, out of pure laziness.

Sorry. I have no sympathy for RR users who choose to keep supporting a
spam-friendly organization.

*shrug* Then I may have to remain invisible, and if it becomes more
widespread, stop using Usenet (since no one will be seeing me anyway
at that point). I get the combination of internet, cable, and phone
service a lot more cheap from them than I could by splitting them
separately between other providers, and it's a hell of a lot easier
then dealing with the foibles of three different companies and three
different bills.

My stopping using them, or sending a complaint, is as likely to
result in them changing their policies as...well... the OTHER
complaints people say they're ignoring. And won't impact the sporger
in the least.