Disaster of pdf e.o. loading into a separate window

Edwin Knoppert

On our website we would like to show the pdf in a blank new window but if
the client has show pdf outside the browser the blank window remains,
something we don't want.
How can we get a new window with a pdf or due settings show the pdf in
acrobat reader without forcing a download to file.

It seems when setting the target for the href the pdf is loaded and shown
but closed immediately.
Maybe related, we use forms authentication but this pdf does not require
logging in.

1) We don't want the pdf in the current window.
2) We don't mind the user's save as dialog being shown, but terminate the
new blank window!
3) I would not mind to use some javascript if needed.